Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 01:44 PM

7 posts, read 105,770 times

Advertisements

Looks like we might relocate to the Santa Fe area as my husband has a job offer pending there. I've always lived near the ocean, and though I find the Santa Fe area beautiful, I'm concerned that I'll miss seeing flowing water--and being in it. Does anyone know of places to swim or splash around in, other than in pools? I've heard that Cochiti Lake is polluted. Is it? What about Abiquiu? Can you immerse yourself in the rivers? Other hidden spots? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 PM

57 posts, read 319,356 times
Ahoy Soon-to-be Landlubber!

I suggest . . .take up hiking! Santa Fe simply isn't known for its abundant flowing water. Abiquiu Lake is beautiful. Cochiti is worth checking out, but I can't help but thinking that it will disappoint.

But again, if you can't do massive amounts of open water, check out what we do have. Our Aspens are lovely, there are all manner of trails, and rumor has it that the Snowshoing is pretty good, too. When we get snow, and we're supposed to be getting plenty this winter.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 PM

11 posts, read 37,588 times
Check out delicious hot springs in the local area. I get a kick out of checking out Jemez Springs. Giggling Springs is a privately owned and operated hot spring near a river otherwise you can hike about 2+ miles into public springs. Very cool area!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 PM

11 posts, read 37,588 times
Also... sorry... Durango, CO is a short drive from Santa Fe (roughly 3 total hours from Albuquerque). There are great rivers for rafting (fast rapids when seasonal) but even this time of year the river through town (Animas I think?) is awesome for tubing. If you ask at local car dealerships, several of them will sell for 10/20$ each a sizable tube for a day's lounging on the river. Very fun time, especially if you have an inflatable cooler!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:54 PM

93 posts, read 473,833 times
yeah, I was an ocean dweller too, and the others are right- you're just not going to be satisfied with the amount and types of water here for swimming. So don't get your hopes up. BUT you can become a hotspring enthusiast and enjoy the many lovely hot watering holes around.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 PM

23 posts, read 227,418 times
We have Tingley Beach in Abq. Great if you also fish. Spend the day in Old Town ,then head to Seferino's on Central to get great Red Chile Enchiladas.Rest a spell and head to Tingley Beach. If you tire from Looking go to Defined fitness and steam and swim for 8 bucks.Not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico