Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 PM

93 posts, read 77,651 times

Advertisements

I've been debating with myself about perhaps moving to this area but have never been there and can't tell much about it on the map. Anything anyone can tell me about the terrain, weather, people therein, etc would be most appreciated!

Coming from Texas, it would be easier to reach from 380 until it turned into I25, south of Albuquerque. I was looking for a small town where the cost of real estate is lower and I don't have to go thru Albu. to get there.
I originally wanted to go to Rio Rancho but saw how complicated and tiresome fighting the traffic would be. I'm a small town country person and do not like driving in heavy traffic! Plus my partner will need to get to the airport ever so often and I would have to pick him up and go get him.

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 02-11-2008 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling ("Los LunAs", not "Los LunEs")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
If you want to escape the rat race, stay away from the Rio Grande. Perhaps something like Mountainair or Estancia might represent the small town atmosphere you're looking for. Perhaps Lamy (Santa Fe and thereabouts do not require going through Albuquerque coming from Texas).

Santa Fe is also about to get its first regularly scheduled nonstop air service to DFW and LAX. Probably still come in at $400 each way, but hey.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 PM

105 posts, read 239,413 times
http://www.newmexico.gov/

Welcome to the Village of Los Lunas

Los Lunas, New Mexico (NM) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Those should help some. Traffic is just something we all learn to live and deal with - no matter where you live. If you do end up in Los Lunas, you'll find that they've got their own share of traffic and other problems as well.

If the airport is a major concern, you mentioned it so I assume it is, then you will no doubt have to deal with traffic. The ABQ airport is effectively the airport for the state, followed by Las Cruces and Santa Fe.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Well, I actually live in Los Lunas so I figure I have some pretty good advice ; )

Los Lunas is a very small town and very laid back. That being said, there isnt too much to do. I view it as a very good retirement city/farming city. Lots of land to own horses, etc. As far as the cost of housing, I'm not too sure. I know that about 10 miles north of Los Lunas there is the City of Bosque Farms, which I reccommend if your looking for peace and quiet. A lot my neighbors have recently moved and due to the housing markets they are really lowering their asking prices. I know of a really nice one with a wrap around porch, wood stove, etc. Really nice with quite a bit of land. I know the seller. Really nice guy. Great neighborhood for kids as well. Only concern is that he never really did any landscaping so the land is all dirt but could be easily planted on. Let me know if that interests you. I could probably get some pictures. Its really clean, green and the safer than Los Lunas by far. Thats not to say Los Lunas is horrible but lets just the say the people lack ambition. High School graduates stick around and go to the community college and never leave. The places near Los Lunas I would steer clear of are El Cerro Mission and Meadow Lakes. Thats where the "hoodlums" are and the people drive like they are straight outta Jeepers Creepers. Anyway, I'd go with Bosque Farms. Its 5 minutes out of Los Lunas and the police men have a bit of a rep for being strict on the roads but its a good thing. Theres a nice library, community center, lots of agriculture, about 15 minutes away from Iselta golfing and fishing, and 20 minutes from the Sunport Airport. There are guidlelines for "keeping bosque farms beautiful" such as no weeds getting out of hand or junk cars on the land. The only negative thing is that if youre seeking employment you do have to commute into albuquerque. great, peaceful, pretty, and quiet. Look into it! Let me know if you want any more info on the house. As far as apartments in Los Lunas go, they arent too nice and are generally by the High School which means they arent in an ideal location. No apartments in Bosque Farms whatsoever.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 PM

Oh and the people are generally nice and friendly in both Bosque Farms and Los Lunas. Weather is great. Nice and warm and we generally get less snow in the winter than Albuquerque does. The main storms hit Albuquerque and Isleta and those are rare. Also, if I were you I wouldnt consider moving to Belen. There really isnt much to do in the way of anything and you have to drive quite a bit longer to some sort of civilization.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
If you want to escape the rat race, stay away from the Rio Grande. Perhaps something like Mountainair or Estancia might represent the small town atmosphere you're looking for. Perhaps Lamy (Santa Fe and thereabouts do not require going through Albuquerque coming from Texas).

Santa Fe is also about to get its first regularly scheduled nonstop air service to DFW and LAX. Probably still come in at $400 each way, but hey.
Thanks but Estancia is too far away from Albuquerque to travel twice a day to work and back which is where the work would be coming from and Santa Fe is twice the cost of living!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Appraiser View Post
http://www.newmexico.gov/

Welcome to the Village of Los Lunas

Los Lunas, New Mexico (NM) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Those should help some. Traffic is just something we all learn to live and deal with - no matter where you live. If you do end up in Los Lunas, you'll find that they've got their own share of traffic and other problems as well.

If the airport is a major concern, you mentioned it so I assume it is, then you will no doubt have to deal with traffic. The ABQ airport is effectively the airport for the state, followed by Las Cruces and Santa Fe.
Thank you , I'll check these out. Well I know everyone has traffic but there's traffic and there's TRAFFIC!
I'll probably handle it once I know where I'm going.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
Well, I actually live in Los Lunas so I figure I have some pretty good advice ; )

Los Lunas is a very small town and very laid back. That being said, there isnt too much to do. I view it as a very good retirement city/farming city. Lots of land to own horses, etc. As far as the cost of housing, I'm not too sure. I know that about 10 miles north of Los Lunas there is the City of Bosque Farms, which I reccommend if your looking for peace and quiet. A lot my neighbors have recently moved and due to the housing markets they are really lowering their asking prices. I know of a really nice one with a wrap around porch, wood stove, etc. Really nice with quite a bit of land. I know the seller. Really nice guy. Great neighborhood for kids as well. Only concern is that he never really did any landscaping so the land is all dirt but could be easily planted on. Let me know if that interests you. I could probably get some pictures. Its really clean, green and the safer than Los Lunas by far. Thats not to say Los Lunas is horrible but lets just the say the people lack ambition. High School graduates stick around and go to the community college and never leave. The places near Los Lunas I would steer clear of are El Cerro Mission and Meadow Lakes. Thats where the "hoodlums" are and the people drive like they are straight outta Jeepers Creepers. Anyway, I'd go with Bosque Farms. Its 5 minutes out of Los Lunas and the police men have a bit of a rep for being strict on the roads but its a good thing. Theres a nice library, community center, lots of agriculture, about 15 minutes away from Iselta golfing and fishing, and 20 minutes from the Sunport Airport. There are guidlelines for "keeping bosque farms beautiful" such as no weeds getting out of hand or junk cars on the land. The only negative thing is that if youre seeking employment you do have to commute into albuquerque. great, peaceful, pretty, and quiet. Look into it! Let me know if you want any more info on the house. As far as apartments in Los Lunas go, they arent too nice and are generally by the High School which means they arent in an ideal location. No apartments in Bosque Farms whatsoever.
Thanks Terry! That's the kind of down home advice I was really seeking and needed to know about. I would want a house and will keep your friend in mind. Won't know anything for sure for another couple of months.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 PM

29 posts, read 160,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
Oh and the people are generally nice and friendly in both Bosque Farms and Los Lunas. Weather is great. Nice and warm and we generally get less snow in the winter than Albuquerque does. The main storms hit Albuquerque and Isleta and those are rare. Also, if I were you I wouldnt consider moving to Belen. There really isnt much to do in the way of anything and you have to drive quite a bit longer to some sort of civilization.
What about crime and druggies?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis432 View Post
What about crime and druggies?

The crime and the druggies are mostly out by Meadow Lake (Ghetto Lake) and El Cerro Mission. Thats the main area to steer clear of. Thats why I suggest Bosque Farms. Its nicer and safer all around than Los Lunas. Just the other day, I was in the supermarket in Los Lunas and this other shopper and myself almost bumped shopping carts. I apologized and he proceeded to tell me off. I mean really, how rude! There are a lot of rude people in Los Lunas......most of which probably live in Meadow Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico