Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:03 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times

Advertisements

I've noticed the foggy weather between Clovis and Willard between August and up until the present.
I'm actually kind of shocked when I see it because I always thought of fog being synonymous with coastal states.
Having originally lived in CA for most of my life, I've seen it as a regular occurrence in the Central Valley, the Bay Area obviously, and of course a good chunk of the LA Basin within 20-30 miles of the coastline proper.
I get out here and just wonder how prevalent it is, and/or if it's some sort of freak occurrence.

Along with occasional icy roads and such to worry about, this is just another thorn in the side on my nightly job of milk tanker driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,417 times
Not really a freak occurrence, it's fairly common, though less so than rain and far less so than wind. As far as I know, it's basically low clouds - moisture from higher up rather than costal fog which comes from the ocean surface.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
We get some fog...

National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary
Quote:
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIDLAND/ODESSA TX
327 AM CST SAT DEC 20 2014

...DENSE FOG ADVISORY THIS MORNING OVER PARTS OF SOUTHEAST NEW
MEXICO...THE UPPER TRANS PECOS AND PERMIAN BASIN...

.A MOIST AIRMASS AND LIGHT WINDS HAVE ALLOWED FOG TO FORM ACROSS
PARTS OF SOUTHEAST NEW MEXICO, THE UPPER TRANS PECOS AND PERMIAN BASIN.
SOME OF THE FOG IS DENSE WITH VISIBILITY LESS THAN 1/4 MILE. SOME
LOCATIONS WITHIN THE ADVISORY MAY SEE THE VISIBILITY CHANGE
RAPIDLY IN A SHORT DISTANCE SINCE THE FOG IS NOT WIDESPREAD ACROSS
ALL OF THESE AREAS. THE FOG IS EXPECTED TO DECREASE BY LATE THIS
MORNING.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:52 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,276,315 times
Maybe a touch off topic but I saw a picture last week of the Grand Canyon filled to the rim with fog. It was very cool! We get fog in the desert almost every year for a day or two but it's usually gone by 10am (kinda like snow).

Old 12-28-2014, 07:00 PM

236 posts, read 370,320 times
I've seen fog in the Rio Grande river bottom areas as far south as T or C. And I've seen big time fog north of Las Vegas up toward Wagon Mound. A lot of it comes from cold air masses settling on warmer and moister air along river courses, but out on the plains of eastern NM it comes from a phenomenon known as "upslope" - where moister air is pushed upslope into colder drier air and forced to precipitate out. Fog is really just a ground cloud anyway.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:36 PM

21 posts, read 201,039 times
I live near the Sacramento mountains. Been here 12 years. Before this winter I had never seen freezing fog. I used to say we never got ice, only snow and it is pleasantly dry. Now we have this freezing fog. I hate it and I hope it goes away.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:08 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,276,315 times
We had some pea soup in Las Cruces this morning. It was in the mid 30's and that damp air was very cold. I can imagine how it was up in the mountains.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circledmetalart View Post
I live near the Sacramento mountains. Been here 12 years. Before this winter I had never seen freezing fog.
The freezing fog and icy conditions have been prevalent for several weeks now in the area to the SE of the Sacramentos, and all the way down into Big Bend country. It is an unusual pattern, for sure. I've noticed several times lately when Ruidoso had fog/low overcast that the Ski Apache web cam was showing bright sunny skies. The icy conditions have been bad enough to the east that the highway between Ruidoso and Roswell has been closed at least once recently.

PS I've attached two screen captures from the web cam in midtown Ruidoso a month apart. The earliest was on September 28, 2014 and the latest a month later on October 21. Both are early morning before the fog had a chance to burn off. In neither case was it cold enough to be called "freezing fog" and in fact I don't think there has been a day when the fog created ice on the streets in spite of it forming frosting on the trees. That's not to say there haven't been days when the streets have been snow/sleet covered this winter, and when that occurs on days with low overcast, I suppose it could be construed as "icy fog."

Last edited by joqua; 08-08-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 04:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Default Fog in village of Cloudcroft...

Attached is a web cam capture this afteroon showing conditions in Cloudcroft with temp there at 31F at the time the image was captured.

At the same time, in Ruidoso, it has been snowing for a couple of hours (1" so far) and is low overcast same as shown in the web captures in my preceding post.

Last edited by joqua; 08-08-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Attached is a web cam capture this afteroon showing conditions in Cloudcroft with temp there at 31F at the time the image was captured.

At the same time, in Ruidoso, it has been snowing for a couple of hours (1" so far) and is low overcast same as shown in the web captures in my preceding post.
Wow. That stuff is EVERYWHERE.

It rolled in so thick later this afternoon that I couldn't see either the neighbors' house directly across the street--nor the mountains in the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico