Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 06:31 PM

129 posts, read 232,084 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Me and my husband are considering moving to Oregon or New Mexico in the future and we would love some advice. I think New Mexico is absolutely lovely and looks like a wonderful place to live. I was wondering what city in New Mexico would be best for us. I would prefer a city with a mild winter and a summer that isn't too hot if possible since I know some areas get way to hot, not too much snow, safe, not too much crime or drug activity, a lot of fun things to do, good entertainment, have good shopping options, and a medium/large city. Being from San Diego, I would love to have as much warm weather and sun through out the year as possible. But I would prefer the summers to not be as hot as Arizona. I think temperatures around 95-100 + are too warm, especially if you are outside for hours. I know it's impossible to get everything on my list, but I hope to get as many things as possible. We would really appreciate your advice and opinion. Also please let us know what the average winter/summer temperatures is for your recommended cities if possible so we can get a better idea of the climate.

Last edited by tigerbolt; 01-01-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 07:56 PM

887 posts, read 1,220,658 times
I know some will disagree but I think if you look at a map of New Mexico and considering what kind of amenities you have listed you probably have a choice of about five places, at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
Hey everyone!

Me and my husband are considering moving to Oregon or New Mexico in the future and we would love some advice. I think New Mexico is absolutely lovely and looks like a wonderful place to live. I was wondering what city in New Mexico would be best for us. I would prefer a city with a mild winter and a summer that isn't too hot if possible since I know some areas get way to hot, not too much snow, safe, not too much crime or drug activity, a lot of fun things to do, good entertainment, have good shopping options, and a medium/large city. Being from San Diego, I would love to have as much warm weather and sun through out the year as possible. But I would prefer the summers to not be as hot as Arizona. I think temperatures around 95-100 + are too warm, especially if you are outside for hours. I know it's impossible to get everything on my list, but I hope to get as many things as possible. We would really appreciate your advice and opinion. Also please let us know what the average winter/summer temperatures is for your recommended cities if possible so we can get a better idea of the climate.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:05 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,181,549 times
Quote:
Hey everyone!

Me and my husband are considering moving to Oregon or New Mexico in the future and we would love some advice. I think New Mexico is absolutely lovely and looks like a wonderful place to live. I was wondering what city in New Mexico would be best for us. I would prefer a city with a mild winter and a summer that isn't too hot if possible since I know some areas get way to hot, not too much snow, safe, not too much crime or drug activity, a lot of fun things to do, good entertainment, have good shopping options, and a medium/large city.
I'd suggest prioritizing the items in your list, and decide which are must-haves and which are negotiable.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:26 PM

150 posts, read 254,390 times
I am a California native who lived in San Diego and Los Angeles as a child, mostly Northern California as an adult, and now I split my time between Silicon Valley and Albuquerque. Albuquerque was by choice because I just love it there, for many of the reasons that you identified. It's a quirky place, and if the quirks appeal to you, you'll know you found home.

Check out my earlier posting listing the reasons (and quirks) why I fell in love with Albuquerque – I suspect you will relate:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...epreneurs.html

Regarding Oregon, Portland is one of my favorite places for friendliness and several of my closest friends have moved there, but the lack of sunshine gets me depressed very quickly when I visit them. I understand that Bend has much more sunlight, but I'm not sure it will feel like a real city as opposed to a resort town.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
Get a copy of the "Road and Recreation Atlas of New Mexico" from Benchmark maps. Then check out the State's website for more information.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,900,777 times
Quote:
I was wondering what city in New Mexico would be best for us.

I would prefer a city with a mild winter and a summer that isn't too hot if possible

not too much crime or drug activity,

a lot of fun things to do, good entertainment, have good shopping options, and a medium/large city.

Being from San Diego, I would love to have as much warm weather and sun through out the year as possible.
Briefly we chose the Albuquerque (ABQ) area 15 years ago (we actually live in Rio Rancho). But that was initially because my wife was transferred to the area and I needed to be near a major airport. Your criteria is really almost impossible for me to get a hold of.

If you want "good shopping options" I would have to say ABQ.

I'm not sure what a "medium/large city" means to many people. The four largest cities and populations in New Mexico shown here on City-Data - New Mexico are:
Albuquerque, NM 555,417
Las Cruces, NM 101,047
Rio Rancho , NM 90,818
Santa Fe, NM 69,204

(San Diego, CA with a population of 1,338,348 is almost two and a half times larger than our biggest city)
Based on a real recent posted thread (today), New Mexico is said to be NM Second Most Violent State

Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,116,784 times
By my definitions, ABQ is the only CITY in NM. There are several large towns that are bordering on being small cities.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 AM

887 posts, read 1,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
By my definitions, ABQ is the only CITY in NM. There are several large towns that are bordering on being small cities.
In many respects you are pretty much correct and most of those have more auto parts stores than places to buy food.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:46 PM

236 posts, read 372,295 times
Quote:
Hey everyone! Being from San Diego, I would love to have as much warm weather and sun through out the year as possible. But I would prefer the summers to not be as hot as Arizona. I think temperatures around 95-100 + are too warm, especially if you are outside for hours.
That's going to cull out the only real "city" in NM,which is Albuquerque. Summer temps will routinely be in the upper 90s for several months, but consider that with the low humidity it truly is a dry heat, That said, with the high elevation you can get a wicked sunburn too.

I'm thinking you will only really get your climatic and urban needs met in Santa Fe - "the city different" as they like to say. It is colder and snowier than ABQ, but not so much that it should be a problem, plus the scent of burning pinon wood is a magical winter perfume.

Visit, maybe get a rental first, and see how it works for you. I read a statistic some years back that said that an unusually high percentage of folks who move to Santa Fe move out within two years.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,192,996 times
Quote:
Being from San Diego, I would love to have as much warm weather and sun through out the year as possible.
I've always thought of San Diego as one of the few places in the USA that has an ideal year-around climate. Not sure why you'd trade that for a more iffy locale?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico