Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,912 times

Advertisements

Have owned ten acres about ten miles east of Deming (just off Hwy 549) for several years. Getting close to doing something with it finally. Want to build a modest house on it that we'd use half the year (winter), while keeping our house in Nebraska (summer). Any builders/contractors in the area anyone could recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Considering the desert climate in Deming I would consider an adobe or other variant on heavy wall masonry construction. There are companies making adobe brick in NM so materials are available and do not have to be made on site. The physically massive structure tempers the day/night heat cycle

I have heard that adobe is for the poor that make and stack their own brick or the rich that pay others to do so. Much of the work is in the manufacture of the bricks (dobies?) so just stacking them looks to be doable if you are still healthy. Live in a small trailer while building the maim house. Secure a water supply before anything else.

See, I have nearly talked myself into this. Anyway, good luck finding a contractor. I suppose the Deming Chamber of Commerce would be a good place to start. Check this website for the Deming page..

Old 10-31-2007, 02:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,912 times
GregW....I gather you plan to retire to New Mexico from New Hampshire someday? Do you own land in New Mexico? I considered the adobe thing, but have decided to go with 'standard' construction since I'll be hiring most of it done. I've spent the last couple years doing most of the work on the remodel of our house in Nebraska and still have some left to do (new deck, etc.), so I've little interest/energy left for our plans near Deming.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 AM

We plan on retiring in New Mexico (or at least snow birding for a while) and we are still looking for a location. We plan on taking a search vacation next summer because we want to experience what really hot and dry feels like compared with hot and humid.

We are going to look Socorro in detail and do a general recon in the north. I really want to ride the Cumbers and Toltec railroad because the small gage trains just fascinate me.

I would suggest for a house in Deming is to use a shiny metal roof over a well-insulated attic. Also provide an outdoor cooking /dining space facing South East for warm breakfast and cooler suppers. Lots of overhang on eh roof to shade the walls from the summer sun would also be helpful in controlling the heat inside the house.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 11,622 times
I have looked at several homes in Deming over the last few years. I know that there are two "main" builders in Deming but they are expensive! I recently spoke with someone from Jones Construction who is a builder in Las Cruces and Deming. I will probably go with them.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 AM

Murphyjack - How is your building project coming along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico