Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,384,465 times

Advertisements

Well I don't see any mention that you have to live in Santa Fe or Albuquerque only that it is trendy etc.
So, I would suggest that you look around a bit more. Trendy in NM is mostly jeans and a shirt. Stick around and we will have ya in a stetson before long
Really though, if you are one who can adapt I would look around the state a bit more. There are alot of beautiful places that one could live if they are willing to accept the fact that NM is different from any place else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 23,476 times
A couple of thoughts for Sliknik, leaving NYC for NM. IT's true what several folks say, that in general, NM is pretty backwards compared to NYC (but most places are). Even so, Santa Fe has so much charm and art and culture and sheer physical beauty that it surpasses Albuquerque in every way. One thing my daughter liked about Santa Fe was that she could drive anywhere she needed to go without resorting to freeways at all. (She is living in Abq now, due to college needs). I personally live in Taos and one of my best friends is from NY and makes frequent trips back to the big city--but she is a very cultured lady and adores Taos. It may be "small", but after all, how many people and places can we know and see at one time anyway? Taos continually surprises me with the caliber and cosmopolitism of its residents, though by that I mean mostly the newer residents--people who have traveled and been educated and have multiple interests. It's worth visiting ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link), by the way...you can find wonderful deals renting a turnkey house/small apt. from one of the second-homers. I always use it when directing people to find temporary, homey accomodations!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 PM

332 posts, read 1,038,222 times
Default Why not Santa Fe?

Maybe it's too late, and Albuquerque is certainly the safe, All-American choice for your NYC>NM move, with its Air Force base, corporate office blocks, and sprawling malls.

But there are reasons Santa Fe is always cited as one of the most interesting and fascinating places in the US, and why it's the #3 art market in the US, and why it's home to some of the most eclectic, engaged people you'll ever meet.

Don't write it off - spend some time in Santa Fe's downtown, and inner areas - walk around them for a while, then walk around Albuquerque's downtown. Then make your choice.

Frank.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,955,629 times
Be prepared for a massive culture shock. I lived in NYC and found moving to New England to be a huge change and I expect moving from here to NM to be equivilant. I cannot wait.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,029,751 times
Default Re moving from NYC to NM

Get a truck and western hat, and stay low....if you want to be a local.
ABQ has nice malls, traffic, agressive drivers, and Sushi...and more..visit them all and there are night clubs etc...BUT do not Drink and DRIVE..

Like the others said visit and see, not just for day, but for a year...

Happy trails,
Hunter

Old 12-25-2007, 01:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,009,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliknik View Post
95% moving to NM from NYC in January. Where are the trendy, affluent areas a SF (in her mid 30's) should live. I have been researching online and it all is becoming a big fog to me-there are so many areas.

When we moved to NM, we stayed at Sun Village for two months. Furnished rentals by the month; we payed about $1350/mo for a 2 BR. You can find them online.

It gave us a chance to scope out the area - there's nothing like getting to see things firsthand.

Although SV is clean and safe, it's nothing too special - which gave us an incentive to find a place quickly!

Old 01-19-2008, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,463 times
Dear Sliknik,
I grew up in NM but lived in NYC for a few years on the upper east side. There is no such thing as a hip trendy place to live here because in general, we are not hip and trendy. We are down to earth, we like to take our time, and we like our space. That is physical space but everyone here is warm and welcoming. People start families earlier here than in New York City so you will find it hard to find young single 30's people to hang out with. They do exist but not like in Manhattan. For the price of a studio Apt in NYC, you can own or rent a large 3 bedroom house. You can invite your family and friends and they will be amazed at your spacious new home! If you are looking at apartments, the Pinical Apartments usually have young professionals who have been transfered to NM. You can choose from three locations. Albuquerque New Mexico Apartments - Home - Pinnacle Estates The one on Wyoming might be a good bet.

If you really do want to have more of an urban experience, below are the links to some of the cool new lofts in the downtown and University Area. The downtown area is great in the evenings for dining and drinking but it is rather depressing as a place to call home. The University area is not that great of an area to live during your 30's. It's rather dirty and run down. There are also some new very brightly colored moden pueblo style apartments being built near the Cottonwood mall. You might find young professionals there as well. Don't know what those are called or if they are even complete yet.

The Lofts at Albuquerque High | Loft Apartments, Condos, Townhomes & Retail-Office Space
610central.com
<LI class=dispUrl>www.silverhilllofts.com<LI class=dispUrl>www.ebnm.com/projects_ (broken link)lofts_03.html

Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,927,644 times
OK well, I would recommend maybe the ABQUptown area in Albuquerque. UNM is trendy, Downtown is good. However, if you want to be further removed from an Urban enviroment, you may want to check out the North East Hights. Look around Paseo Del Norte and Ventura, Holbrook, Barstow, etc. You may find that you like living in an area like this. Believe me, you will in no way be ready for the drastic culture shock. So embrace it and appreciate what an experience ABQ will be for you. Let us know on the Albuquerque forum how everything works out. Best of Luck!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 AM

202 posts, read 353,919 times
Is it just me or does it feel like at least half of the posts on here are from realtors. If you want an honest opinion about good vs. bad places to live in Albuquerque...give me a hollah!
Peace,
m

Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 PM

946 posts, read 3,273,349 times
I think we should start with a few simple facts and what these imply

Fact: Santa Fe City and County -- a gigantic area by eastern standards -- have a total population of 140,000. At the height of a brief tourist season total population doubles to about 280,000.

Implication: Santa Fe is not congested by NYC standards or by anybody's standards.

Fact: Santa Fe has an opera, a performing arts center, and a number of outstanding museums and museum quality galleries.

Fact: Santa Fe is the the third largest art market in the United States trailing only NYC and San Francisco.

Fact: The Santa Fe tourist season is based on art fairs -- Indian Art and Hispanic art. Albuquerque features a balloon festival.

Implication: Santa Fe is the city that will give a New Yorker (or anyone from large areas of the East or West coasts) the least cultural shock.

Fact: Santa Fe housing is the most expensive in the state, but still of course very cheap compared the east and especially NYC. You can get three bedrooms and two baths for about the cost of a Manhattan studio.
Fact: Albuquerque clearly has more job opportunities than Santa Fe.

Implications: 1) If you don't have any money, then don't pick Santa Fe (Unless you want to be a struggling artist)
2) People pay more for Santa Fe, because they want to live in Santa Fe.

Fact: My wife and I lived many years in NYC and moved to Santa Fe. If we had to live somewhere else in New Mexico, we would live in Taos. If we couldn't live in Taos, we would move back east.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 01-21-2008 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico