Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times

Advertisements

Have you checked the deeds? An old deed may include a record of an easement to a road. I suggest you contact the land owner blocking access to the road and negotiate what will be required ($) to establish a legal easement. Do this BEFORE you buy.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,286,817 times
Property can't be landlocked by private or public land, by NM statute. Properties in all states can't be landlocked by federal land, by federal law. What that access will be, where the access will be on the property that must be crossed, is decided in court if it can't be settled by the adjoining property owners, but it will be granted one way or another. It can be a prohibitively expensive proposition at times. By which I mean the court proceedings and/or the engineering/constuction of a new access may cost more than the value it adds to a property. See easement by necessity.

Last edited by TKO; 07-25-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
All of NM? This property is in Socorro. Not sure what you meant by Fed property, are you saying all properties in NM are FED property?
See above post. While most property in NM is federal, much of it is not. I would have thought that was understood.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 AM

How about returning to the original question? I would think Lordsburg in the "bootheel" of SW NM would be relatively inexpensive. Or some of the small towns in the opposite corner like Folsum andDes Moines.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
TKO

Not sure anymore, but back in the day (mid 90's) Grants was very inexpensive due to empty neighborhoods when the uranium mines closed. It was spooky driving through some of them.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM

324 posts, read 715,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Property can't be landlocked by private or public land, by NM statute. Properties in all states can't be landlocked by federal land, by federal law. What that access will be, where the access will be on the property that must be crossed, is decided in court if it can't be settled by the adjoining property owners, but it will be granted one way or another. It can be a prohibitively expensive proposition at times. By which I mean the court proceedings and/or the engineering/constuction of a new access may cost more than the value it adds to a property. See easement by necessity.
Most western states don't have to abide by so-called Fed law when it comes to access. There are plenty of land-locked properties in Wyo, Mont, Ida. It's state's rights issue - you know the 10th Amendment.
It's not always granted - esp where you are surrounded by NF. You can own the cabin, but not the land. There again - landlocked. There are dozens of cabins just west of Wapiti, WY in that situation. If you look at a backcountry map of say Wyo - out of every four sections, two will be Federal and one will be State.

In Murphy v. Burch, California's Supreme Court ruled that landlocked property transferred to a private owner with a federal patent deed doesn't automatically qualify for an easement by necessity.[LEFT]
Read more: Federal Landlocked Property Law | eHow
[/LEFT]

Old 10-05-2013, 03:49 AM

661 posts, read 1,250,653 times
someone here suggested to me Trulia instead of Zillow and I must say Trulia have more things going on. Though some of the foreclosure properties you'd have to signup for RealtyTrac just to see the address and pictures of the property. 7 day free trial of RealtyTrac, then I don't know much it will cost monthly. Anyone here ever used that site?

I'm still reading books on foreclosure homes and how it works. Let's say the foreclosure home is for sale for $50K, is that all I have to pay or do I have to pay the actual value of the house? Let's say the house was for sale originally for $150K but it's being listed as foreclosure for $50K, who paid the other $100K? Let's say the owner of the house under going foreclosure already paid $50K throughout the years, there's $50K left there to pay aside from the asking foreclosure price of $50K. Who pays that $50K? The bank? Can't be the bank, banks don't lose money, they make people lose money. So who pays?

Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 AM

thealfa - I strongly suggest asking those questions to an experienced real estate lawyer.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,849,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I'm still reading books on foreclosure homes and how it works.
We have a Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs sub-forum in the Real Estate forum...

Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 AM

471 posts, read 978,937 times
Cheap places to live? Living can become very cheap if you can afford to buy your small home or trailer on it's own lot and not to have to continually pay rent or lot rent. If you are not up in the cold NM mountains in the winter, you can get by very cheap utilitywise in a number of small towns around here. Dry heat is easier and cheaper to deal with in the shade than cold and ice would be.

But the big things still apply: Do you need a job, are you retired, or is getting a little mini-wage job ok?? Do you have kids who need certain schools? Are you ok with different cultures and people?? Can you deal with limited or distant medical facilities?? If your small town of choice has at least some services; food store, gas station, a friendly café, or maybe even a dollar-type store, you can probably get along quite well with the simple life here in New Mexico. Keep in mind the travel that might be needed if you ever need to get auto parts, building materials, or other services. But many small town places have people who car pool for shopping trips and help each other out in this regard..

And yes, a lot has been discussed pro and con about Wal-Mart, but it turns out that these one stop shops are a lifeline in many areas, including mine, and having one in the next town over may be all you need...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico