Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 28,562 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving out of Colorado, and we have kind of narrowed our choices down to 3 states. Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. We want to get out of Colorado because housing is too expensive and we are looking for a change. We would also like to buy our next house brand new.

But I have some questions.

1) I have possibly found a job in Alomogordo, and I was wondering what are the names of some of the home builders in that area?

I tried looking online, but all that I found were the home builders in Santa Fe and Albuqurque ( sorry if I mispelled it ).

2) Or does just about everyone commute in and out of there?

I don't really want to move to a small town, where everyone knows your bussiness, but at the same time, I really don't want to be in a big city either. I quess I'm looking to be in a suburbe.

I'm a Firefighter, and my wife is a stay at home mother.

Any help with this would be great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 06:21 PM

215 posts, read 840,419 times
The correct spelling is Alamogordo. Try looking again. There's no advertising allowed on this forum, so we can't post any of the builders' names for you. But some folks might PM you with recommendations. Sorry, I don't have any to pass along.

Alamo is a smallish town, but it's not so small that everyone knows your business. Just look at the city profile here on city-data.com.

There aren't many places to commute to from Alamo. A lot of people work locally, including on the base. A few might commute to Cruces or ELP, and a very few commute up to the mountains. But I think the town is mostly self-sustaining, thanks largely to the AFB.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,035,440 times
Rio Rancho(pop.70,000)Farmington (pop.41,000) and Las Cruces (80,000) are all nice small cities with lots to offer,Farmington is more expensive but closer to Durango.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,640,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armydog View Post

Like Jecc said its self sustaining so if you work there you'll probably live there also. Its population is around 40,000 and is growing especially when the AFB gets the new fighter wing in 2008.

6/3

Old 11-11-2007, 05:51 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,627 times
I think you will find Alamogordo to you liking. Please read some of the past threads about Alamo. I will send you some names for you to consider, but there are many new homes being built. You may have to come down and check them out. Hope you find what you want.
Jane

Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 26,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armydog View Post
My wife and I are thinking about moving out of Colorado, and we have kind of narrowed our choices down to 3 states. Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. We want to get out of Colorado because housing is too expensive and we are looking for a change. We would also like to buy our next house brand new.

But I have some questions.

1) I have possibly found a job in Alomogordo, and I was wondering what are the names of some of the home builders in that area?

I tried looking online, but all that I found were the home builders in Santa Fe and Albuqurque ( sorry if I mispelled it ).

I don't really want to move to a small town, where everyone knows your bussiness, but at the same time, I really don't want to be in a big city either. I quess I'm looking to be in a suburbe.

I'm a Firefighter, and my wife is a stay at home mother.

Any help with this would be great. Thanks in advance.
If you are considering moving to New Mexico, Santa Fe is a beautiful city which is not to small or large. Albuquerque, too, is a nice city but a larger. If I had to choose between the two I would choose Santa Fe. Rio Rancho is also a city, which was small but has grown tremendously over the last 2 years. Nice city, but people tend to be rude and bit predidiced. Santa Fe would be best, however, it is a very expensive place to live.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 PM

18 posts, read 95,188 times
You might check for builders in Las Cruces as well.

I've only lived in Albuquerque, Taos, and now in the East Mountains (east of Albuquerque). I much prefer where we are now to Taos...although for the scenery, skiing, fishing, etc Taos is a great place.

There is also a teeny tiny town close to Alamogordo you may check into, Tularosa. It's pretty rural but close to Alamo and Ruidoso for commuting purposes.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,656 times
I want to move out to the mid west I do have a partner and we are trying to start over have a fresh new start we have 6 kids between the both of us and want to make the right decisions on places that are kid friendly and also as far as our lifestyle who can help us thanks signing off Cassie7783

Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DermekaM7783 View Post
I want to move out to the mid west I do have a partner and we are trying to start over have a fresh new start we have 6 kids between the both of us and want to make the right decisions on places that are kid friendly and also as far as our lifestyle who can help us thanks signing off Cassie7783
You have posted in the New Mexico forum which is not the "mid west". The Midwestern United States as defined by the United States Census Bureau are the states consisting of Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

We have forums for each of those states. Look here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 AM

31 posts, read 87,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You have posted in the New Mexico forum which is not the "mid west". The Midwestern United States as defined by the United States Census Bureau are the states consisting of Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

We have forums for each of those states. Look here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums

Good luck!
The poster wants to move out of the Midwest, not to there.

Dermeka, it would help if you include what your looking for like population, jobs, housing cost, weather, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico