Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 PM

471 posts, read 978,608 times

Advertisements

Spent last night in Deming and yet again found myself fascinated by all the games going on in the motel business. I usually try to find a little vintage non-chain motel to stay at for a different retro perspective. But Deming is no Tucumcari, even though the signs all boast "700 Motel rooms". I came in town from the north and went first to the west side of town. One little place didn't look too bad from the highway, but when I pulled up to the office, the smell of strong curry blasted me as I got out of my car and started my eyes watering....and it went downhill from there.

I don't know why but I went in anyway, gasped for air, and asked to see the advertised $29.95 room on the sign. I could see that the clerks whole family was there and those who were not cooking curry were sitting outside or just hanging out. The clerk said sorry, there are no rooms at that price, but he did have a bunch at at $45.99 ( there was only 1 other car here). I declined and right away the price came down to $35.99. I decided to play the game and asked to see the room. He then said he didn't want to show me the room because" he knew that I would leave " (??) but he just remembered that he did have one of the advertised rooms left. It was the room right next to the office and one of his family was reclined on a chair outside the room door and another was leaning against the building smoking. The clerk got the one guy to move and opened the door to show me this smelly tiny room (certainly designed to upsell people) He then said that for only $5.00 more he had the other room, which was way down at the end. We looked at it and it was a stale, stagnant room, but didn't smell too bad from the cooking smells. I declined, thanks anyway, and had him and another guy follow me to my car trying to make the sale.

Right next door was a name brand "8" franchise, the office smelled a little from curry, but not too bad. But the lady in the sari tried the make a deal game with me, telling me I was lucky because they just decided to lower their room price. The site advertised breakfast, but the forlorn breakfast bar was tiny and looked like all breakfast would be was stale cereal (already there) and maybe coffee. I didn't even ask to see the room this time. Went over to the east side of Deming where I ended up at the "Days" chain. The room actually smelled good, was clean, site had a great extensive breakfast, and didn't even have palmetto bugs...The Deming Motel search was over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:12 AM

52 posts, read 178,928 times
Deming bites.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 AM

4,614 posts, read 6,395,745 times
"palmetto bugs"....in NM, those are just called cockroaches....nothing fancy like in FL....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico