Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM

471 posts, read 979,338 times

Advertisements

I have spent a little time there this past summer and here are my impressions. Silver City is an average small town, with typical retail and chain places, but haven't found any real deals. Lots of thrift, artsy, and antique shops downtown to look at, but once you have seen all that, I don't know if there would be much appeal to stay here.

Jobs are few, unless you want to try your hand at working at the huge copper mine to the east, or are bi-lingual and know someone. If you are looking to retire, I would go on down to Deming instead, lots more retirees and snowbirds stay there and maybe more socialization and related activities too. Deming is closer to Las Cruces for shopping, or Palomas, Mexico if you have your passport and are into border crossing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,504,192 times
Used to live in Silver City back in the early 90's and have it on the short list of cities for retirement. Think it would be a great place to live without kids. At least back then there was a huge culture of alcohol abuse and teen pregnancy. Remember going to a social function and talking to one of the town's OB/GYN's. He told me that the average age of first pregnancy in the Silver City area was 16 and at any one point in time 1/4 to 1/3 of the local high school is pregnant.

Because of the college, a small group of engineers from the mines and a few local professionals(doctors, lawyers, business owners) there is a small segment of kids who's parents really push them academically. If you can get your kids involved with those kids and the activities they are in you would be doing yourself a favor.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 13,443 times
We're older but have a young family coming too. The thing is finding rentals while we look for a small farm! To try and search the web, you would think there is a shortage of rentals outside the city?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,393,443 times
Smithsonian Magazine listed Silver City as one of America's 20 best small towns.

"Silver City, like its name suggests, popped up when silver was discovered in the area—but it was another metal, copper, that sustained the town after the silver industry went bust in the late 1800s. Copper mining is still the basis of the town's economy, which helps lend it its "authentic" feeling, mostly because it truly is authentic: in Silver City, miners, hunters, art folk and foodies all meld together."

The 20 Best Small Towns to Visit in 2014 | Travel | Smithsonian

Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,890,148 times
We visited Silver City and stayed at the Palace Hotel. we spent some time just walking around and at the local museum. the story of the huge flood was interesting form an environmental point of view. If it were closer to Albuquerque or had a bigger college I would consider retiring there. I have no idea about jobs.

If you do go out to visit take a drive up to Glenwood and take the Road to Mongollon. Quite a drive.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:12 AM

40 posts, read 58,693 times
There is an excellent Mexican restaurant there, can't remember the name but starts with a J and is in the old part of town. Don't know about jobs and schools but the food is good.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,393,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpossum View Post
There is an excellent Mexican restaurant there, can't remember the name but starts with a J and is in the old part of town. Don't know about jobs and schools but the food is good.
Jalisco's!!!

Old 04-14-2014, 03:29 PM

99 posts, read 316,130 times
The road to Mogollon is closed due a severe flood ! The town does not expect to be open until sometime in 2015 !!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,617,251 times
Happened last Sept: Flooding wipes out road to Mogollon - Silver City Sun-News

Old 04-19-2014, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 13,443 times
We will be there looking for a farm first week of May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico