Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 PM

216 posts, read 732,256 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to commute (not too long): for job, school, etc.? How far away is El Paso?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 AM

827 posts, read 5,080,275 times
Default Silver City

It is something like a little over a hundred miles. I think 111 or something like that. So it would be too far to commute but they have a University in Silver City so one could possibly get on there. It is over 30 miles to Lordsburg. I don't know much about it just driving through. It is an old western town with ghost towns around it. Deming is about 50 miles. It is a desert community. A lot of small towns out around Silver City; Santa Clara, Bayard, Mimbres are ones I think right now. Many others. From Las Cruces, El Paso is real close, about 20 miles to the Texas border and into El Paso from there. You definitely want to stick on the Las Cruces side and not live down in El Paso. Trust me on this one.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:35 AM

215 posts, read 976,894 times
Default Silver City

Hi Everyone,

Could you please tell me what you like and dislike about Silver City. Hubby and I want to buy some land for retirement. We are looking at the Reno, NV area as well.

Thanks so much! :-)

Old 07-19-2006, 02:50 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
When I lived in Tucson back in the 70's and 80's, it was a sleeply little college town. Now it has been discovered in a big way. Half of all home sales there are for the second home market, and real estate is escalating there at a time when many other markets are flat or falling.
Air pollution would have to be one of my concerns. At 6,000 ft. elevation, the air feels clean and dry. But according to the government scorecard, a Phelps-Dodge mine at Tyrone is in the country's top 30 for toxic emissions. In 2002 (the last year for which emissions data are available), more than two and a half million pounds of copper compounds and nearly half a million pounds of lead compounds were pumped into Grant County's atmosphere to be breathed in by residents of the Silver City area. I'm sure those that live there do not see or feel anything wrong with the air, but it's something to be aware of.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Wow thanks so much Steve, that's the kind of information I'm after. I'll see if I can find more details of this concern on the net.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:27 PM

Continued...went to the EPA site and found these stats concerning a Phelps-Dodge mine. Here it is:
comments anyone????

http://www.epa.gov/tri/

You'll need to enter the zip code on the bottom right.

Last edited by aguamarina4u; 07-19-2006 at 03:35 PM..

Old 07-19-2006, 03:56 PM

436 posts, read 681,940 times
When I visited Silver City recently, I made sure to check out the mining operations. There are (at least) two humongous strip mine-like areas around Silver City. If you go you will see the sign on one that says "Reclamation area", and the locals are aware of what's going on with the mining issues - just ask around when you visit. On my way out of Silver City sat one huge strip mine area right before you begin to enter the Gila (pronounced He-la) Forest - it was huge. Be sure to camp in Gila - awesome, pristine wilderness out there - the air was so refreshing - cool and crisp - it felt like the best isolated forests in Colorado. I hope it stays that way forever.

My rant. Disengage your mind here if easily offended.

You bring up a good point about air quality near active mining operations, and people need to check out mining emissions - but also be aware that some more common types of particulate emissions are particularly dangerous to human health. I know vehicular diesel exhaust particulate is at/near the top of EPA's list with a direct link to heightened cancer risk (the diesel particulate is of a size that is readily lodged deep inside human lung tissue, and so-called "clean" diesels do not avoid this outcome) - hello RV'ers & other diesel users of c-h-o-i-c-e, not necessity - do you care about the health of your kids, seniors, your neighbors? Naw - you don't even give it a thought do you? Well now you know if you didn't before. Everybody should be helping where they can. I know some folks need trucks for their jobs, but I'd like to see my beloved country held less hostage to foreign oil, and also stay healthier so we can better contain heath costs - the s__ is really out of control.

Last edited by brian_2; 07-19-2006 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-19-2006, 06:27 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Here's another link to look at (copy and paster, then scroll down):

http://scorecard.org/env-releases/fa...mical_releases

Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM

142 posts, read 731,846 times
Arrow Silver City on Cali's radar...

Just read a little article in the August issue of Sunset magazine.

Seems what is driving the housing market is people from California buying second homes in Silver City - which means escalating home prices. The average price for a new home is rapidly approaching 300k.

As for Reno, NV - may wife went out there about 2 years or so ago and while the area is beautiful it is not really affordable for the average person. Reno real estate is being driven by its close proximity to the big Cali...the locals really hate what the influx of people escaping from Cali did to the real estate prices. Lots of animosity towards ex-Californians out there, so if you take the plunge be prepared.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 AM

827 posts, read 5,080,275 times
I too am disgusted with the US attitude toward allowing pollution when it is not necessary. If we'd take the full plunge to get off foreign oil, coal burning and diesel, and work toward alternative fuels with a whole heart, we could do it. It is like the US is only putting a finger in the water. Places like Silver City are too nice to ruin. Gila Forest is wonderful and needs to be preserved. I can only hope they can close the strip mines down and replace it with parks. I would live north or northwest of Silver City if I lived there where the air is much more pure and clear. I wouldn't live down near Tyrone or Hurley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico