Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM

99 posts, read 315,998 times

Advertisements

SanctuarySought,
How large of a farm do you have in mind? What do you want to grow? There are some small farms in the Mimbres Valley east of Silver City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:01 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,846,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanctuarySought View Post
We will be there looking for a farm first week of May.
Have you already looked at land? If not and you have no idea what you are looking at in terms of prices, just be ready - tt's gonna cost ya, farm land around Silver City (as in Mimbres) is expensive. Also make sure to look into water rights attached to the land.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 PM

57 posts, read 50,296 times
I would like to know if one can find organic veggies and other products in this area - maybe a farmer's market...?

I see an opening for my area in the local Silver City School District, but my Spanish is pretty poor. Would that be a problem?

Old 05-31-2014, 05:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,849,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eselpee View Post
I would like to know if one can find organic veggies and other products in this area - maybe a farmer's market...?
They have a 'Farmers Market' web site: Silver City Farmer's Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by eselpee View Post
I see an opening for my area in the local Silver City School District, but my Spanish is pretty poor. Would that be a problem?
I would guess no. Unless the job requires Spanish and it is stated in the announcement.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:15 PM

57 posts, read 50,296 times
Thank you, Poncho 8)

Old 08-11-2014, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,886 times
Default Silver City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Thanks so much for these links, Poncho...they will be SUPER helpful!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,278 times
Here is the truth about living any where near Silver City N.M.. I personally worked with the elderly. I am in my forties and this comes from the elders of every race that I have encountered. Yesterday I was talking to one of my friends who is in her 70's and is good shape considering she had two heart attacks. As she was taken to the local hospital, GRMC, the staff told her that there is nothing that they can do for her so they told her and her daughter she is going to die. Her daughter had the ambulance drive to Las Cruses, 100 miles away. When she got there, they had do to emergency surgery. She has to find a ride every time she needs to go to the doctors as this place has no doctors and is staffed with Nurse practitioners or Physicians Assistance. AS I was told by a ER staff, that "if I want a doctor you have to go out of town or state." So please take into consideration that yes, it is nice and 70 percent of jobs is counseling and of course the mine which closes on and off and the next prediction of closer is 8 years from today. People love gossip here and it is prejudice. If your retired, your gonna have to find a ride to doctors out of state. The staff does not like to touch blacks. My friend P, had a horrible experience and he ended up driving himself to Las Cruces and there, he had to have emergency surgery. Please take heart if you live here. I have severe panic attacks and the first thing they ask me at any clinic and hospital is " What drugs are you on?" That is an insult. The staff have grudges here and if they do not like you fail to perform there task professionally. I have been doing their job for instance calling my insurance to see if they will cover a procedure or a prescription. That is not my job. I have to hound the staff to get my blood work done. I have waited a month to get blood work done. I call once a week to see the Nurse slash doctor and she has ignored my calls. Being low income and paying outrageous rent, I have to set a budget to see a doctor out of town. So please heed my warning, If your gonna move here, have lots of money to travel to doctors. Medicaid/medicare for seniors will not pay for the trip. I know, they do not cover me for my disability. Yes I am moving.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:08 AM

36 posts, read 284,248 times
It's a small city, yet many have said its a hippie and progressive haven. One of my friends, who is a hippie and was rather active in getting Occupy Las Cruces organized when I first came to NM, he said that it's much more progressive than Las Cruces, or even the smaller Mesilla Village is. I'd like to know more.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:55 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,499,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsass123 View Post
It's a small city, yet many have said its a hippie and progressive haven. One of my friends, who is a hippie and was rather active in getting Occupy Las Cruces organized when I first came to NM, he said that it's much more progressive than Las Cruces, or even the smaller Mesilla Village is. I'd like to know more.
If you know anything about the Ed Abbey inspired Earth First! movement of monkey wrenchers that started in the 70's, they got their start in the Silver City area. Knew a couple of them who participated in the first group monkey wrenching project and I know they still live in Silver City. But now they are 60-something grandparents and active in the business community, so doubt they still get their hands dirty.

When I lived there the ratio of hippies & college professors to rednecks, cowboys and conservatives to Hispanics was about equal. Even if you didn't agree with the other side, you still had to figure out a way to get along with them. The town was too small to avoid people with a point of view you did not agree with. Especially the mixed views couples. Met a few couples where the wife was an old hippie but married to a gun toting conservative who loved hunting.

Saw a couple of other people here asking about teaching jobs. WNMU is known as a teacher's college and they pump out a lot of teachers. Friends of mine that grew up in the area, have experience and local connections still had to drive down to Lordsburg or Deming for a teaching job. It would be tough to get into a local school system there without some connections and a stellar resume.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:12 AM

36 posts, read 284,248 times
Default I must say that video is cute and rather catchy.

I came to Silver City when I first landed in New Mexico, Hopeless and Homeless in the So-called Land of Opportunity called America (the title of one of my hopeful future books for which I have the ISBN numbers for in Amazon Create Space self publishers). This after leaving Albuquerque, the first place I arrived in New Mexico and was considering after leaving a homeless shelter in Downtown Brooklyn, New York because I was absolutely fed up with waiting for their so-called "Housing Package". (Long story short but I'm on Social Security Disability and one of the reasons I left that stupid shelter was I felt like I was getting railroaded into more mental health BS rather than ever seen that elusive housing package that kept telling me was coming soon.)

Anyway, looking into Truth or Consequences and continuing toward Las Cruces (where I am now at, a place I freaking hate more than any other place I have ever "lived" or existed because it is so damn judgmental and conservative), I set my sights for Silver City, New Mexico. A place I was told about by my friend back in Connecticut who has a friend here named Bill; a guy who, at the time, was apparently living in a tent in the forest someplace but is now at the nearby Sufi camp or commune just outside of Silver City someplace. However, taking into account that the New Mexico Department of Human Services didn't have any help with security deposits, I was hoping to move into a mobile home for rent about 11 miles up US Route 280, I ended up going back to Las Cruces.

A place I must be honest that the only reason I stayed in was because of the Mesilla Valley Community of Hope. An agency that helped me with housing through President Obama's Rapid Rehousing Grant for the homeless; not that that was of much use as I came to Las Cruces 11 months into the two-year program funded by HUD, and, on a fixed income and going to school at piece of crap New Mexico State University's Doña Ana Branch Community College, ended up having to move out after I could no longer afford the place. Taking out student loans and moving into on campus housing. (A four year long waste of time with the exception of gaining college credits, on a part-time basis, majoring in Associates of Arts and/or a general degree.)

Someone I met in Las Cruces when I first came here who was active with Occupy Las Cruces moved to Silver City and from what I've heard it is supposed to be a hell of a lot more liberal than stinking Las Cruces is. Myself a transgender woman, Las Cruces seems to be about the most LGBT-phobic place I have ever lived; even relatively conservative Southbury, Connecticut, where I had lived with my mother for nearly 11 years in Heritage Village until she got sick and the condo to be sold, was not that bad when compared with Las Cruces (a city of about 103,000 that definitely has its share of conservative, and rather ignorant Catholic Mexican-Americans as well as plenty of rednecks!). And so I am reconsidering but I'm not sure. Taking into consideration that my eligibility for Pell/SEOG Grants and Subsidized Stafford Loans for college will be coming to an end at the end of the semester, unless I move on to a bachelors degree program. Being that I'm rather familiar with New Mexico State University itself and live on campus, plus taking into account that I DO NOT see a future at NMSU, I was looking into Western New Mexico State University; among others such as Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, Landmark College back East in Vermont, and possibly Cal State University at Chico (Chico being a place am familiar with as I was there during my 2 1/2 years homeless and traveling from west, to east, back and forth four different times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico