Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,517,834 times

Advertisements

Looks like a nice barber shop. Three barbers too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,594 times
Not to be negative,, i read a site called [Silver City Problems] kinda concerned me.. any input on this site ?? No matter where you look there's always something negative that people put out..
I visited silver about 12 yrs. ago and really liked the area,,very scenic..
the site claims a lot of corruption there ??? Any input ??
i'm 72 yrs. old and i have a son that's 52 who is also thinking of moving there if i do...
Thank you in advance for your input..

Old 02-15-2017, 07:36 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,428,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKARD1 View Post
Not to be negative,, i read a site called [Silver City Problems] kinda concerned me.. any input on this site ?? No matter where you look there's always something negative that people put out..
i'm 72 yrs. old and i have a son that's 52 who is also thinking of moving there if i do...
I thought the area was scenic as well.What is your budget for housing in Silver City?

Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,594 times
Default budget-silver

No budget if negatives are true,,would like an answer to negatives.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:50 AM

142 posts, read 253,703 times
Quote:
I am not familiar with corruption problems in that area. But there has been a big on-going debate about building a dam/reservoir on the Gila river there. Like many small towns in New Mexico that aren't located in close proximity of Albuquerque or Santa Fe, the area is very isolated and has a limited economy. It is a very beautiful area with lots of wonderful outdoor opportunities. I do think land pricing there is a higher than neighboring AZ. I only know this because my aunt and her husband considered buying property for retirement there but found it to be too pricey for them. Maybe you can tell us specifically which corruption problems you're concerned about? Taxes, police, politics?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,615,619 times
Quote:
Not to be negative,, i read a site called [Silver City Problems] kinda concerned me.. any input on this site ??
I googled "Silver City Problems" and got a site called Ripoff Report and a rant filed in 2004. Is that what you mean?

You aren't going to find a town anywhere in the country that is completely devoid of haters. Lots of people move because they are unhappy, and expect the new place to solve all their issues. Or they move someplace and immediately want to change (ie "improve") everything about it, and are frustrated when they encounter reality.

Silver City is a nice enough place. I'm not saying Silver City is devoid of corruption. I expect there is a fair amount in the town where I live too, I just don't worry about it. It's beautiful, the climate is great, it's safe, plenty of friendly, happy people, and if you are one of those you will get along fine.

What is important to you? Some will hate it and some will love it. Best approach is to figure out what you really hope to find and try to determine if you are likely to be successful.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,859,497 times
Quote:
But you are negative... You are making claims which the readers here can not verify...

We have been to Silver City. A quaint little town which we enjoyed as tourists. We have no desire to retire there. It is too isolated for us "City Folks"...

We live in Rio Rancho (RR). We had neighbors who had lived in Silver for about 20 years, they moved to RR from Silver City. They bought a house here in RR and lived here about 5 years, then they moved to the Denver area to be close to kids and grand-kids.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 AM

3,765 posts, read 5,880,130 times
It is beautiful but as others have stated. It is isolated and at least 2 hours from Las Cruces and 2 1/2 from El Paso. It would concern me about healthcare. Otherwise, a great place for a getaway.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 AM

82 posts, read 95,295 times
How about the medical services. Things I've read here and there seem to rate them pretty low. Gila Medical has rotating doctors or something? We're seniors and medical care will be increasingly important.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFog View Post
How about the medical services. Things I've read here and there seem to rate them pretty low. Gila Medical has rotating doctors or something? We're seniors and medical care will be increasingly important.
You might look over the ratings here: https://www.healthgrades.com/hospita...co/silver-city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico