Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:59 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,608,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
When someone is in your home at 3am, can you really risk assuming they will not do you or your kids harm ?
I assume that just about anything is possible. I don't worry about it too much though. I take reasonable precautions (in this case living in a neighborhood that is fairly safe), and leave the rest in someone elses hands.

I do not wish to escalate violence or live in fear. If someone uninvited is in my house at 3am then 99% of the time they will be looking for something to steal. I almost feel sorry for them... because they will be disappointed.

I suppose if it became a common occurrence I'd be motivated to take preventative measures, but killing the intruder would be near the bottom of the list.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:49 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,206,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post

The odds that you will encounter someone breaking into your house who wishes to do bodily harm to you or your loved ones is vanishingly small. The odds are greater that your guns will result in your loved ones being shot.
You're seemingly relying on the fact that someone is going to react pleasantly to your discovery of their presence in your home. Have you ever been around someone who is on drugs? Someone who has not had their fix for a while?

They're twitchy.

Quote:
You have a choice... to *not* confront them. Then nobody dies.

I've since learned in numerous encounters with odd and unstable persons, that a fearless and non-threatening attitude works very well to diffuse hostile or potentially dangerous situations.
Again, trusting someone who is seriously feening for their next fix probably isn't a good idea. There have been enough people killed by "meth-head burglars" stealing their stuff that one could say their behavior is AT BEST predictable. Where do you keep jewelry in your house? Your wallet? Your more valuable possessions? Is any of it in your bedroom?

Meth-head burglar may just take your TV. They may also come looking for other things they can fence. They may not be alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Have you ever been close to someone who's a Meth addict ?
Meth can make the most non violent person become extremely violent.
A Meth Head is the one person who will do you harm.

When someone is in your home at 3am, can you really risk assuming they will not do you or your kids harm ?

Many people high on Meth are very dangerous people.
I have met meth-heads who have literally stolen cash and other goods from their own parents. Unpredicable at best. They may back down and leave, or they may react unfavorably, to say the least. It may also be of interest to note that many times those who break into homes do not act alone... whether this is for their own safety or merely for the convenience of being able to take more stuff is probably moot.

Quote:
I assume that just about anything is possible. I don't worry about it too much though. I take reasonable precautions (in this case living in a neighborhood that is fairly safe), and leave the rest in someone elses hands.

I do not wish to escalate violence or live in fear. If someone uninvited is in my house at 3am then 99% of the time they will be looking for something to steal. I almost feel sorry for them... because they will be disappointed.

I suppose if it became a common occurrence I'd be motivated to take preventative measures, but killing the intruder would be near the bottom of the list.
Having a firearm in your plans for self-defense or home defense doesn't necessarily mean you are living in fear, but merely that you are willing to defend yourself with lethal force against an intruder (intruders). Killing someone should be a last resort, but this is of course drifting off topic.

OP, if you are still looking, if someone is trying to break in and is actively making an effort to do so, whether it be breaking and crawling through a window or trying to bust down the door, that goes from "call the cops" to "herd your family into as safe a place as possible, call the police, and load the gun."

I stand by my original advice as a gun owner/CHL holder that you beef up your home security, take some self defense courses, take a concealed carry/firearm training course, or all of the above... and make sure your family attends or is at least aware of your plans for when someone else invites themselves into your home.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:00 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,518,758 times
I still agree with rruff. It is so tragic that even one little kid accidently shoots and kills theirself or their little brother or sister with Dad's gun. By accident. It continues to happen. Sure you can lock up your guns so your kid can't reach them. It doesn't seem to be working very well overall.

Then again, Dick Cheney will accidently shoot his hunting partner in the face, too, and he's not a little kid. Bad way to go however you slice and dice it, IMO, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico