Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM

30 posts, read 137,344 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear more on this since I've been to SC and really liked it. We want to escape northeast winters. How bad are the winters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Winters are nice. High of 53 low of 26 in Jan. Sunny. Occasional snow that doesn't last. One of the mildest climates in the country outside of the coastal areas. 88 and 59 in July.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 AM

54 posts, read 137,857 times
AlisonL, we're also in Maine and thinking about a move to Silver City...I lived in Flagstaff for a time, many years ago so I'm sort of aware of the climate of the Southwest...
Could you tell me more about SC? I'm mainly interested in climate, good place to raise kids, etc.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,929 times
Snowmon,
I sent you a DM.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,929 times
Winters here are a piece of cake compared to Maine and the Northeast. Just be warned though. The locals aren't used to driving in snow and ice.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM

325 posts, read 576,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Winters here are a piece of cake compared to Maine and the Northeast. Just be warned though. The locals aren't used to driving in snow and ice.
Not too good on dry roads either. Just don't flash headlights.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:50 PM

54 posts, read 137,857 times
Be happy you live in NM! In Maine we just got 20 inches of snow, blech. Everyone is so tired of winter.

MattieJensen, why not flash headlights?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM

325 posts, read 576,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmon View Post

MattieJensen, why not flash headlights?
Ndn's like to play chicken and you flashing your headlights now makes you the target.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,229,993 times
The local Silver City hospital is terrific and modern for such a small community. Unfortunately spent the weekend there while visiting for the first time. Very friendly and professional.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,588 times
I lived in Silver for 16 years.Got involved in a lot of community organizing,volunteer work, and politics.
The entire county is corrupt from the top down. The mines rule for the most part and law enforcement is either corrupt or in bed with the drug dealers and other vermin that tend to gravitate there.
There is such a sense of entitlement and lack of work ethic there that it is almost impossible to create a successful business there. The big hype about it being an "Art community" falls far short.
A Santa Fe it isn't and never will be. There are a couple of decent places to eat, but for the most part the choices are Mexican, Mexican, Chinese, fast food, Mexican…you get it. There is a real undertow of reverse racism there that I had a hard time understanding since I was always friendly and accepting of everyone.
There is a real "you're not from here" tone to a lot of people and a resentment that dates back several generations. The streets for the most part are in bad repair, people throw their trash(McDonalds and other fast food bags) beer bottles, diapers, and even garbage bags full of garbage where ever they feel like it.
The Buffalo Bar, the supposed big tourist attraction downtown, is a skuzzy, drug infested, rowdy bar that is frequented by the lowest of low lives in the town for the most part, though is seems to attract some of the college kids and "progressives" until they get their asses beat by a drunken local.
Sorry to be so negative, but between the corrupt realtors, high crime rate, lack of police protection, and frankly, high prices, there is little to offer there other than the weather in my estimation. I moved out of the state 2 years ago and surely don't regret it at all.I don't miss the loud booming rap music from all the gang bangers cars, the loud trucks, the endless sirens, barking dogs and lack of services..Quaint? I guess you could say that, but I wouldn't waste my time on the town myself, and surely wouldn't buy real-estate there.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-24-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico