Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM

209 posts, read 466,853 times

Advertisements

Day trip: Salinas Missions National Monument. There are 3 locations. Time for 1? Gran Quivera.
Weekend: Moab and the national parks in vicinity.

Hit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,863,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownJoe View Post
OP here. I recently took a scouting trip to ABQ/SF. One of the things I came away with was a "perception" of isolation, that I was in an oasis of civilization in a vast desert, that there was nothing out there but sand and stone.
1. Some people really like that...

2. New Mexico is a big state, 5th largest land wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownJoe View Post
My general preference is outdoorsy stuff (hiking, biking, skiing, etc.) but I am also fine with just seeing interesting things.
Hiking and Biking? You can do that almost every day.

Interesting things? What I find interesting, you may not...

2011 Dia de los Muertos Marigold Parade - YouTube

Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 PM

154 posts, read 347,451 times
Just a few surprise places in New Mexico that get very little traffic:

Angel Peak - with a wow-factor campground

Bisti Wilderness off Highway 371 - you'll have its amazingness pretty much to yourself

Experience the startling difference in climate between Rodeo, NM, and Portal, AZ - only six miles from each other. In Rodeo, see the stars. In Portal, exotic birds.

Be on Highway 54 between Carrizozo and Tularosa at sunrise or sunset - and see the two sunrises and two sunsets.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,885,779 times
I subscribe to New Mexico Magazine to keep my NM dream alive. The mag details interesting places and provides a huge number of possibilities. Combining the magazine with a copy of the Benchmark New Mexico road and Recreation Atlas helps plan both day and overnight trips. Or, as I said before, aim your car in any direction and get on the two lane and, if you don't mind, gravel roads and just look around.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 PM

471 posts, read 979,240 times
Take a ride up past Las Vegas and head east at Wagon Mound to the hidden canyon of the Canadian River Valley. Bring your camera, but be aware there are no services or anything there except for a ranch in the canyon bottom. Extreme scenery makes it worth it! Nothing in Roy, so travel back the way you came...A note of interest is the almost covered up lava field on the northeast side of the Wagon Mound, people forget it was once a volcano...Happy Trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Top places to daytrip or weekend from ABQ/SF-img_20140219_121325.jpg  

Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 PM

10,764 posts, read 23,889,013 times
some of my favorites.....

-Durango/Silverton, CO and driving up the Million Dollar Highway (550). The best of the Rockies in this area and some of the finest mountain scenery in the country. Telluride and Ouray are worth checking out as well though a bit further up. Silverton is a cool old mining town frozen in time, awesome mountain hiking trails in that area.

-Las Cruces, sometimes I'll spend the night there and do a jaunt over to White Sands (awesome). The Organ Mountains are really beautiful as well with nice hiking, and Old Mesilla gives off an old world feel and has a few decent restaurants. El Paso if you're interested, is just down the road as well. El Paso has a good outlet mall/decent shopping, a water park, and not to be missed The Edge of Texas Steakhouse.

-Ojo Caliente, cool hot springs resort about an hour north of Santa Fe: New Mexico Hot Springs | New Mexico Spas | New Mexico Resort | Southwest Spa | Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa | 800.222.9162

-Abiquiu/Ghost Ranch: If you want to hike around cool Southwestern red rock scenery Ghost Ranch is the place. Abiquiu Lake is nearby as well.

Depending on how far you want to drive Northern Arizona is pretty nice as well. Flagstaff, Sedona, and the Grand Canyon are about a 5-6 hour drive, and well worth it.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 PM

963 posts, read 2,305,005 times
Get the book "Day Trips From Albuquerque" http://www.amazon.com/Day-Trips-Albu.../dp/B008SM226M Excellent guide to all sorts of places to explore with lots of great advice about places to eat, photograph, etc. I use it myself to plan getaways.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 PM

18,255 posts, read 25,924,336 times
It's a ways down to Carlsbad Caverns from the Duke City but it's well worth it if you've never been there! IMO it's one of the top 5 National Parks in the United States. Right now would be a good time to go as SE New Mexico can get a tad toasty in the summer months. Even right now mid-March would see 80 degrees down there. It's an amazing place! For that matter so is White Sands National Monument, you could make a quick visit there on your way back from Carlsbad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico