Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:23 PM

212 posts, read 373,313 times

Advertisements

The developed Forest Service campgrounds in the Sacramento district around Cloudcroft, unlike the ones in the Smokey Bear or Guadalupe districts, are managed by an outside concessionaire. You should probably start with this website:

Recreation Resource Management – New Mexico Campgrounds

Be prepared to pay about twice as much for a site as at the other two districts, although the facilities will likely be squeaky clean. Also, you can reserve some sites on these websites:

http://www.recreation.gov/
http://www.reserveamerica.com/

Consider the Bluff Springs area as well, its free, close to running water, and has some limited facilities.

Lincoln National Forest - Bluff Springs

If you can, I highly recommend you chose the Smokey Bear district around Ruidoso/Alto instead, for a variety of reasons;

The campgrounds are cheaper
All the supplies you need are there
Much more dramatic natural scenery, including the Rio Ruidoso and the Rio Bonito and Sierra Blanca peak.
Much, much more to do

Also, there are more options for private campgrounds. For about the same price as a basic campsite in Cloudcroft, you can get a private site in Alto with much more amenities.

Ruidoso NM Vacation Guide, Cabin Rentals & More
Bonito Hollow RV Park & Campground | Ruidoso, New Mexico
Along the River RV Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,206,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGabe View Post
The developed Forest Service campgrounds in the Sacramento district around Cloudcroft, unlike the ones in the Smokey Bear or Guadalupe districts, are managed by an outside concessionaire. You should probably start with this website:

Recreation Resource Management – New Mexico Campgrounds
All of the INDIVIDUAL campsites on that web site are "First come first served - no reservations." Which is what it says on the National Forest web pages also.

It appears the only ones subject to reservation are the GROUP campsites.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,104 times
Thanks everyone for your responses; I think we will take the gamble and move forward with plans, but maybe consider June or August and definitely plan for a mid-week arrival to increase our chances of having a campsite. My husband is all for camping in quiet isolation; I'm the one that likes having neighbors. We'll have to see which of us lucks out!

We'll take a look at Smokey Bear also; I can't remember now why exactly we settled on Sacramento. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInTexas View Post
We'll take a look at Smokey Bear also; I can't remember now why exactly we settled on Sacramento. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!
I personally prefer summer camping in the Cloudcroft area because of its higher altitude than the Smokey Bear district - plus being in a mostly fir and spruce forest rather than a ponderosa pine and juniper one.

One thing about late August vs July is that school kids return to school, meaning families are less likely to be vying for camping sites the final two weeks of August. That applies equally to Texas schools, where the majority of tourists to the area are from. Of course Labor Day is one of the busiest weekends.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:16 PM

104 posts, read 112,076 times
Has anyone driven a Subaru Outback through the LNF? The website recommends a 4 x 4 vehicle but I'm wondering if the Outback's AWD can handle the terrain.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:59 PM
TKO

4,150 posts, read 4,296,611 times
I think your issue would be clearance not traction. I have a Tacoma and I've rubbed. There are, however, a lot of roads in the LNF that you would be fine on. It has been raining up there a lot lately too.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:26 PM

104 posts, read 112,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I think your issue would be clearance not traction. I have a Tacoma and I've rubbed. There are, however, a lot of roads in the LNF that you would be fine on.
Exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for! Thanks - that helps a lot.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:51 PM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTransplant View Post
Exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for! Thanks - that helps a lot.
Appreciate that. The thing to remember is if you come to a place in the road (and there are a lot of miles way off the beaten path) that is beyond the capabilities of your vehicle, turn around and go out the way you came in - even if it messes up your plans. It's always better than hiking 12 miles to get help. Sometimes it takes them a while to fix washouts, etc. It is awesome up there, you're sure to enjoy it

Old 08-14-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I think your issue would be clearance not traction.
Whenever the back roads are at their muddiest, thinking 4WD traction will keep you out of trouble is more likely to get you into trouble. Common sense should dictate turning around rather than risking getting stuck. And getting high-centered on a rutted or rocky road is no fun either.

I've seen vehicles bogged down to their frames in a muddy field where someone pulled off a perfectly driveable road thinking they would camp in that nice grassy field!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:27 PM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Whenever the back roads are at their muddiest, thinking 4WD traction will keep you out of trouble is more likely to get you into trouble. Common sense should dictate turning around rather than risking getting stuck. And getting high-centered on a rutted or rocky road is no fun either.

I've seen vehicles bogged down to their frames in a muddy field where someone pulled off a perfectly driveable road thinking they would camp in that nice grassy field!
Can't be repeated enough times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico