Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
We live in Texas and are relocating to New Mexico. We are thinking Ruidoso, Silver City or Alamogorda(sp) area.
We have been to Ruidoso a couple of times mostly to the aspen biker rally and enjoy the scenery.
We have researched some on Ruidoso and want to rent for awhile before we buy. All we come up with is vacation homes and the jobs seem scarce. We both have a retirement income from the military but want some kind of job to supplement out income.
I will quit rambling. I just wanted to chat back and forth with somebody about the areas whether it be good or bad, I want to hear it all. Are the people friendly?
Thanks for letting me post. Peace....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 PM

27 posts, read 129,757 times
Hey i cant help you out any but im in the same situation Im moving to NM from TX im wanting northern new mexico a small little town thats fairly inexpensive and i would love some snow hehe!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:30 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Songinthewind7, are you looking more for mountains or desert? Alamogordo will be close to the mountains but it is a desert. A nice family town though. Ruidoso is a beautiful area and you are right, there aren't many jobs and they tend to be tourist oriented. The Apache Indians run many things in the area as well. Cloudcroft is very beautiful, but again, small and not much on jobs. Silver City is a milder winter town up in the mountains. It is more on the arid side with the pines being mostly north of there. It won't have a lot of jobs either, but more than the others above. Durango is a beautiful mountain city near the NM border but homes are expensive. Hmmm... you might look at Cortez, it has mountains around it and has lots of ranches all around in the area. It is on the desert side with mild winters but right near the mountains. It will have some snow but not much. It isn't expensive to live there. It will be on the conservative side too, with all the farmers and ranchers in the area, so that could be a plus or minus to you. If you like old west towns, Cortez and Silver City should be on your short list. You might look at Pagosa Springs,CO too, it will have more snow, but still lots of sunshine.

Seleswifey, same as above, look at Cortez, Bayfield, Pagosa Springs, Durango, CO, all near the NM border, and Aztec, Raton and Los Alamos, NM. The nuclear thing kind freaks me out in Los Alamos, but it is a nice town.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 10-24-2006 at 12:43 AM..

Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM

ok thank you im calling all the towns people are telling me about and getting info sent to me so thanks for all the help

Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 PM

Ruidoso is the only place I've been to but have heard some nice things about Silver City and Cloudcroft from my significant other. We are coming up in April 2007 to check out all these areas again and then we can make a better decision. I do love the scenery in Ruidoso. I was raised in the mountains in Colorado Springs. Of course we also want to live where it is reasonable and not too pricey but N.M. sounds like it is about like Texas in prices.
Thank-you Crackerjack for your info on these places.

Seleswifey, I live in Fredericksburg which is in Central Texas. What part of Texas are you in?

Old 10-25-2006, 02:49 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Songinthewind7, you are welcome. I am glad you mentioned Fredericksburg. I have a friend who wants to move to Texas and has been looking at Kerrville and Fredericksburg. Can you tell me is it a good place to live? Pros and cons? Kerrville too? Personally, it is just too hot for me. I love the Rocky Mountains too and four seasons. I have been to Kerrville and it does seem like a nice town. My friend is set on Texas and was born and raised in Phoenix, so heat isn't an issue with him. Thanks Songinthewind7, for any info I can give him!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 AM

I live in San Antonio Kind of close hehe!! I need to get away far away from the city I have had enough city fun now I need some quiet fun! I plan on moving in Dec when do you plan on moving?

Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 AM

Crackerjack, your friend will love Texas if he likes the hot weather. Not much cold weather here at all.
Fredericksburg and Kerrville are both nice places to live depending on what your friend wants. I enjoy living in Fredericksburg because I have lived in big cities all my life and wanted to live somewhere smaller. The Hill country has some trees and some hills and country like settings. I just do not like the hot weather.We have the walmarts and major grocery chain here called HEB. Fbg. has some kind of something going on about every weekend, festival or art shows. Touristy town, kind of pricey in real estate. Most of the people I have met are from somewhere else. Still have the old Germans around. Some of them don't care for outsiders. Kerrville is a larger town and although I have not lived there, my significant other has and he enjoyed living there. A lot of people retire here and in Kerrville. Military people in Kerrville. The towns are about 25 miles from each other so close by. The jobs are scarce in Fbg. probably like Ruidoso and are mostly touristy type jobs. Walmart and HEB are also an option. Kerrville has more of a choice for jobs. Otherwise, if your friend is retiring, both places are good for retirement. Good golf courses too. Different types of clubs to join. I am with a walking club and enjoy it.
By the way, are there any good health clubs in Ruidoso and good massage therapists? (I am a massage therapist) Always looking for a decent massage. LOL

Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 AM

seleswifey....I used to live in S.A. before moving to Fbg.
We wanted out of the city too. We are gong to Ruidoso and the surrounding areas in April 2007 to check it out and look around. We will probably rent until we find someplace we want to buy. Anyway it will be next year when we move. At least that is the plan for now. We are selling our place here after the first of the year.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:05 PM

Yeah I will also be renting untill I find a place to buy but I have to make sure I find some place I really like hehe or else I will probley move in 2 more yrs I love moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico