Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM

915 posts, read 2,131,389 times

Advertisements

@TKO: You don't like Roswell? Would you mind sharing why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:54 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,280,100 times
No hard feelings here, I had no wish to annoy you.

Flooding was the one thing you mentioned that I know something about, had it not been for that I would not have answered in the first place or continued on with the blather that human beings are prone to.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 20,975 times
mvintar: Hi, I don't live in Roswell, but I moved from Texas about a year ago for the privilege of being a medical cannabis patient in New Mexico. It's been very difficult to find relevant information on dispensaries in this state, but I finally found a local forum where I can post reviews and information I hope will help other patients.

There are currently only about 20 producers in the whole state that have been licensed by the Department of Health to produce medical cannabis, and although I am familiar with the dispensary that is opening up a store-front in Roswell, I have not visited their other location in Ruidoso. And as far as I know, this producer has yet to obtain final approval from the DOH for the Roswell location.

Unfortunately, in that part of New Mexico, store-front dispensaries are few and far between -- they are mostly located in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. However, the producers have set up a delivery system that I believe reaches most of the 10,000 patients in our program. Unfortunately, delivery charges would only be a small part of your expenses in this program.

I don't know what the rules are for including links, but if you're interested, I guess I can try, and see what happens?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,284,715 times
There's delivery to all the bigger towns anyway. I've had to meet them in a parking lot here in Las Cruces on occasion but I think they'll work with you if you can't leave the house as long as you're not too far off the beaten path. Once you jump through the hoops for the state (I posted the links in your other thread) they'll give you all the contact info for the distributors.

It's a lot of hassle having to go to the doctor every year compared to Colorado where you don't have to do anything. But I agree that the weather is nicer. The heat in the sumner is an issue for the MS though, as I'm sure you know. I don't go out much in the afternoons and try to get to a cooler place (like Colorado) for some sort of break in the hottest months.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 PM

111 posts, read 238,474 times
I lived in Roswell two different times in the 1970's and 80's for approximately 13 years and there was never a flood problem.

I believe there were several floods in Roswell in the 1940's and 50's, but a flood control dam (Two Rivers) was built about 20 miles west of Roswell and that solved the problem. Heavy rain in the Sacramento Mountains about 60 miles west of Roswell can create huge runoffs that drain into the few rivers and cause flooding downstream. With the dam in place, those runoff waters get captured and Roswell is spared flooding.

If you are still concerned (heavy rain could occur between the dam and the city of Roswell, but the topography of that area would be less likely to concentrate the runoff than in the mountainous areas) I would live in the north part of the city (newer part mostly) away from the Rio Hondo which would be the lowest lying part of the town and I would think the most likely to ever flood.

As for Roswell itself, I haven't lived there for over 20 years, so my info is dated, but I always liked the town. Yes, it is life in the slow lane - not a lot going on, but there is some culture and things to do if you are flexible. The scenery isn't as pretty as much of the rest of the state, but the people were hard working, friendly, unpretentious and just good folks. I understand it has become more violent, I don't know about that. When I lived there the main violence occurred within families.

It was always a conservative town, but not in an obnoxious way - very live and let live. In my opinion it was a nice place to live.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 PM

268 posts, read 290,849 times
What's the weather like there generally, and can you have a garden?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
Giver your medical conditions I suggest looking closer to a larger city like Las Cruces or Albuquerque that have more extensive medical facilities. Judging by the rest of this thread medical marijuana is available in NM so your plan to move makes a lot of sense.

This may become a factor in weather we move to NM for me and my wife as we are starting to be concerned with deteriorating health.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,518,758 times
GregW - it would be cool to meet up with you sometime here in the great state of New Mexico. As you know, we're in Alamogordo. Your choice is Socorro? Or was it Truth or Consequences? Have you guys considered Silver City? Our landlord lives there and she's an art teacher in Deming. She loves living in Silver City and previously her and her husband lived in Alamogordo. We're renting the house they lived in here.

I was just thinking that we've conversed enough on here to get to know each other a little bit and it might be fun ta meet up somewhere in the south or middle of New Mexico somewhere. That is, if and when you guys get here!

Last edited by elkotronics; 04-14-2014 at 08:02 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 02:50 PM

203 posts, read 603,181 times
No flooding that I've experienced, though some folks by stream beds had some issues during one t-storm. There is no marijuana store here, and I doubt the city council would approve. It's pretty much like West Texas Bible belt out here. As for doctors, it's damned near impossible to get a doctor into town w/o waiting for weeks. Many go to Lubbock or Amarillo for anything beyond basic care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico