Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:03 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,479 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of posts on Cloudcroft. These two towns are to the west and about 1700 ft lower in altitude.

Are they much different from Cloudcroft?

How long does it take to get to Alamogordo?

Does one need a 4 wheel drive if they aren"t going far off the highway? Will a Maxda Miata or a Corolla do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
I find both High Rolls and Mountain Park to be very different from Cloudcroft.

Cloudcroft has a distinct ski resort and tourist feel to it, and is very much a mountain town.

While both High Rolls and Mountain Park are also in the mountains, and at high elevations, they just don't have that feel of being a mountain town to me. They feel more like "bedroom communities" to me, and don't have the same heavy tourism and "mountain cabin-look" that Cloudcroft does.

It takes about 25 minutes to get from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft in good weather. As you might expect, parts of the road are winding--and require slower speeds and downshifting coming back down.

If you stay on the main roads--and it's not icy/snowy, 4WD isn't required.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Cloudcroft is an incorporated village with a main street and a variety of stores, plus the usual infrastructures like schools and social facilities that are lacking in High Rolls and Mountain Park, which are both unincorporated small communities. That having been said, all three are highly desirable places to live either part of full time, assuming one can find a suitable residence at a reasonable price (or not).

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
I continue to find reasonable prices on cabins and small houses in Cloudcroft. Ranging from about $80,000 on up. I just don't want to be so far away from the city or I'd pursue those.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,479 times
Thanks all -It would be easy to find someone with an opinion of say Dallas but these smaller esoteric places are much more difficult.

Do they have high speed internet and decent cell phone reception up there?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Cloudcroft is an incorporated village with a main street and a variety of stores, plus the usual infrastructures like schools and social facilities that are lacking in High Rolls and Mountain Park, which are both unincorporated small communities. That having been said, all three are highly desirable places to live either part of full time, assuming one can find a suitable residence at a reasonable price (or not).
I looked in all three areas for a number of years when I lived in Alamo, and never did find anything I could live with--either too $$$ for what you get--or else a real junker.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 PM

502 posts, read 1,379,945 times
High speed Internet, yes. Cell service it depends on where you are and who your carrier is.
There is a grade school in High Rolls. Serves K-5 and is part of the Alamogordo school district.
A large number of folks here don't have four wheel drive vehicles.
I personally wouldn't be without one but regardless of time of day or weather I may HAVE to get out. But I also live 3 miles up a canyon and two miles off the canyon.
The county does a good job of plowing all county roads pretty quickly in the winter as does the state highway department on 82
It's a whole different world then Cloudcroft.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:34 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
High speed Internet, yes. Cell service it depends on where you are and who your carrier is.
There is a grade school in High Rolls. Serves K-5 and is part of the Alamogordo school district.
A large number of folks here don't have four wheel drive vehicles.
I personally wouldn't be without one but regardless of time of day or weather I may HAVE to get out. But I also live 3 miles up a canyon and two miles off the canyon.
The county does a good job of plowing all county roads pretty quickly in the winter as does the state highway department on 82
It's a whole different world then Cloudcroft.
Good info.

I've driven the road from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft a few times,
great views near the old train trestle just before Cloudcroft,
also like stopping near the tunnel, good views there too.

High Rolls - Mountain Park is about midway, I like how after the tunnel vegetation changes,
desert disappears and is much more green. I think the area is/was known for apple orchards,
not sure if that is still true. High Rolls - Mountain Park climate is much milder than Cloudcroft,
without the heat of Alamogordo, a sort of "goldilocks" climate you get at certain
elevation in the SW. I can see why homes/land would be pricey there.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I think the area is/was known for apple orchards,
not sure if that is still true.
Years ago there were more cherry orchards than other types of fruit.

If you are serious about exploring the area, there is a larger housing development to the north at about the same elevation known locally as "The Orchards." It is easily accessed on a paved road that runs through the village of La Luz. Most of the properties have great views out over the Tularosa Basin, and the houses are more substantial generally than those of Cloudcroft-High Rolls. On maps, look for Laborcita Canyon Rd. to locate the development. There is a gravel "all weather" road between the Orchards/La Luz Canyon and High Rolls that is a fun drive with great views along the route (about 3 miles), called Mountain View Rd. (Seems to me it should have been named Desert or Basin View).

Old 05-07-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Years ago there were more cherry orchards than other types of fruit.

If you are serious about exploring the area, there is a larger housing development to the north at about the same elevation known locally as "The Orchards." It is easily accessed on a paved road that runs through the village of La Luz. Most of the properties have great views out over the Tularosa Basin, and the houses are more substantial generally than those of Cloudcroft-High Rolls. On maps, look for Laborcita Canyon Rd. to locate the development. There is a gravel "all weather" road between the Orchards/La Luz Canyon and High Rolls that is a fun drive with great views along the route (about 3 miles), called Mountain View Rd. (Seems to me it should have been named Desert or Basin View).

I loved several of the Laborcita Canyon places I looked at, and almost bought one, with amazing views of the Tularosa Basin/White Sands.

I didn't want the adjoining 20 acres that were to be sold with the house, and added to the $$$. If I could have bought only the house itself and and 1-2 surrounding acres, I would have seriously considered it.

I could understand the seller wanting to sell the entire parcel, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico