Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 43,458 times

Advertisements

Need current info on Carlsbad, NM. I've read a few very old post here so I'm looking for current info.

I'm being relocated there in the next few months. I have a young family of 4 kids ages 11, 9, 7 and 3. I can't seem to find any rental houses. The research I read on old posts is that north of Church street is good for schools - is that still true?

Also, what are the gun/hunting stores, car dealers, major grocery stores, etc.

Wikipedia gave me climate info but would also like to hear from locals what the weather is really like.

does it snow?

Do you get scorpions in your house?

Is there BLM or Forest land close for shooting/hunting/atv riding/camping?

Are there any Harley shops in town or other motorcycle shops?

Are there good places to go motorcycle riding?

is there cubscouts/girlscouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 PM

44 posts, read 44,630 times
Default Our local

NPR just had a piece on Carlsbad today. They were talking about the oilfield boom economy there. It said that there wasn't any place to live and the hotel prices were outrageous. Talked about a lot of people living in RV parks.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,388,218 times
I'm in Carlsbad for two weeks on business. So far have seen a super Walmart and Albertson's grocery stores. Depending on the location of your workplace, you might check out Hobbs, NM for housing. It's an hour from Carlsbad. The hotels in Hobbs are 1/2 the price of the Carlsbad hotels so I assume the housing situation might be better in Hobbs too. Hobbs is also larger. The weather has been nice all week in Carlsbad but is going to be in the 90's starting tomorrow and will probably reach 100 for a couple of days. Carlsbad is not that bad with the Pecos River flowing through town, Carlsbad Caverns, and the nearby Guadalupe Mountains. Unfortunately it is booming.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
I suggest taking a week to look around the area and talk with some realtors. Get a copy of Benchmark maps "Road and Recreation Atlas of New Mexico". It provides maps that include all the back roads as well as interesting locations. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,175,469 times
Here is an article on Carlsbad that seems objective to me and answers some of the OP's questions on the area:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
It is rapidly growing, so there is a housing shortage of rental property available, but that is getting better with the recent construction of three large gated communities and a new one on the way. New rentals run from $700/month to $1500/month depending on size. There are also two large nice new subdivisions going up in the community with houses ranging from $150K to $300K (1,700 sf up to 2,800 sf). Several newer neighborhoods offer properties to have a house built upon including Spring Hollow, Ridgecrest, Farmview, Miels Drive, Grapevine, and La Huerta.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM

thank you everyone, we will be visiting Carlsbad next week to look around and get further info.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo1821 View Post
does it snow?
Apparently not often...

Some home-made videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ViTHuujKro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmArcl5lxcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zQrNKUssuI

Old 05-16-2014, 07:39 PM

well I guess that answers that question! Well, we are moving from Denver so we are used to the snow - just don't like it. We've only been here for a year, moved here from AZ. lived there for 5 years - loved it! moved there from CT - hated CT! was born and raised in CT and couldnt wait to get out.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo1821 View Post
well I guess that answers that question! Well, we are moving from Denver so we are used to the snow - just don't like it. We've only been here for a year, moved here from AZ. lived there for 5 years - loved it! moved there from CT - hated CT! was born and raised in CT and couldnt wait to get out.
They really do not get snow often...

Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,982,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I'm in Carlsbad for two weeks on business. So far have seen a super Walmart and Albertson's grocery stores. Depending on the location of your workplace, you might check out Hobbs, NM for housing. It's an hour from Carlsbad. The hotels in Hobbs are 1/2 the price of the Carlsbad hotels so I assume the housing situation might be better in Hobbs too. Hobbs is also larger. The weather has been nice all week in Carlsbad but is going to be in the 90's starting tomorrow and will probably reach 100 for a couple of days. Carlsbad is not that bad with the Pecos River flowing through town, Carlsbad Caverns, and the nearby Guadalupe Mountains. Unfortunately it is booming.
I booked a room in Carlsbad recently and I was shocked at how expensive it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico