Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 PM

24 posts, read 69,727 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for long term camping near wilderness in N.M. any suggestions? Thank you any reply will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 07:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,922,022 times
What is long term? BLM has a lot of free or inexpensive camping: Camping - U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

Check these threads:
New Mexico Camping?
Tent camping in SE New Mexico??
Winter Camping in New Mexico?
tent camping/trout fishing
Camping!
Good uncrowded tent camping spots?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 PM

5,750 posts, read 4,357,513 times
If I'm not mistaken you can only camp in one place for 2 weeks on BLM land, or Forest Service land. However if you are smart about it, and don't get caught, you can do it longer. I camped in essentially the same place for over 2 months this winter, but I was smart about it and I'm not trying to live out there "indefinitely" like you apparently are. I chose a place that nobody else would want to camp because it was flat and boring. I doubt more than 3-5 people ever even noticed I was there, and BLM certainly didn't. But you're better off if you keep moving around every couple weeks.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,623,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf72 View Post
Hi, I am looking for long term camping near wilderness in N.M. any suggestions? Thank you any reply will be appreciated.
Did it for 12 years all over the west in a Toyota pickup. '91-'03.

BLM is your best bet. I spent a lot of time on NFS land in the summers, but it has gotten a little more overrun with "forest cops" lately. If you keep a low profile on BLM and leave no trace you won't be bothered. Low profile means don't camp in popular places or bother anyone. I'd generally never see another human, so who's to complain? Also it was easy for me to just move around a little. I'd usually scout out a few spots in the same general area, 1-1.5 hrs from a town where I'd go for supplies.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:29 AM

6 posts, read 26,446 times
I'm interested to know answers for the OP's question as well. I know AZ's BLM has season-long permits but I couldn't find any camp site that allows campers to stay for over 2 weeks in NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post

BLM is your best bet. I spent a lot of time on NFS land in the summers, but it has gotten a little more overrun with "forest cops" lately. If you keep a low profile on BLM and leave no trace you won't be bothered. Low profile means don't camp in popular places or bother anyone. I'd generally never see another human, so who's to complain? Also it was easy for me to just move around a little. I'd usually scout out a few spots in the same general area, 1-1.5 hrs from a town where I'd go for supplies.

Wow, that's a long time! Do you have a blog or something where you shared your experience?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
If I'm not mistaken you can only camp in one place for 2 weeks on BLM land, or Forest Service land. However if you are smart about it, and don't get caught, you can do it longer. I camped in essentially the same place for over 2 months this winter, but I was smart about it and I'm not trying to live out there "indefinitely" like you apparently are. I chose a place that nobody else would want to camp because it was flat and boring. I doubt more than 3-5 people ever even noticed I was there, and BLM certainly didn't. But you're better off if you keep moving around every couple weeks.
AWESOME THANKS FOR ANY INFO!! woodswolf@outlook.com

Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM

Default Awesome =) THanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
AWESOME THANKS FOR ANY INFO!! woodswolf@outlook.co

Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Default AWESOME THANKS FOR ANY INFO!! woodswolf@outlook.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post

AWESOME THANKS FOR ANY INFO!! woodswolf@outlook.co

Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,623,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisen View Post
Wow, that's a long time! Do you have a blog or something where you shared your experience?
Nope. But I'd be happy to tell you anything you are curious about.

Didn't use the internet until ~'99. Then I got a laptop, some extra batteries and a solar panel, and I'd do internet when I went to town. The first one was a '92 Compaq with a 386-25 processor and 12mb of RAM. 80MB hard drive. Little B&W screen. Plugged it right into the trucks 12v. I upgraded about every year or so with a newer old laptop.

Having a computer changed everything, because it is an unlimited source of entertainment, and previously I had none. It was better living in the wilderness without it, but you know how addictions work...

Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,089,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf72 View Post

Just do what these guys did....

Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa - Trailer - YouTube

Twenty-Five miles from town, a million miles from mainstream society, a loose-knit community of eco-pioneers, teenage runaways, war veterans and drop-outs, live on the fringe and off the grid. Struggling to survive on little food, less water and no electricity, they cling to their unique vision of the American dream. Enthralling, action-packed and full of unforgettable characters.

Covering 15 square miles in New Mexico, the mesa is home to around 400 people. All the residents share the anti-establishment feeling of the war veterans. Yet 'patriotism' is one of the only tenets here. 'I fly the flag, I believe in the constitution' explains Dred 'I just don't believe in the government'. There are no official laws but the philosophy: 'don't steal from your neighbour, don't shoot you neighbour' is rigidly upheld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: