Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,610,210 times

Advertisements

I think maybe you aren't going far enough up. There are a lot of home over 6,000ft in the La Luz foothills.

Both Mescalero and Mountian Park are ~6500ft and have avg highs of ~82F in July. Alamogordo at 4400ft is ~95F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,179,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
La Luz eeven up in the hills is only a few degrees cooler than Alamogordo.
The small village of La Luz (4,700 ft.) is essentially at THE SAME elevation as the east side of Alamogordo. The area ABOVE La Luz, known locally as "The Orchards," (6,000+ ft.) is both higher and somewhat cooler than La Luz on any given day.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:14 PM

33 posts, read 75,601 times
Just moved here 1 month ago from cleveland ohio area. It is very beautiful out here. If you like outdoors, there are a lot of nice places to hike around. Water is hard to come by. We usually go out to dog canyon or a new area we found out about in Tularosa.
About the area, (please note, we have only been here for 1 month)
--shopping :the mall ( i dont care for malls) is more like a small indoor outlet which takes maybe 40 seconds to walk from one end to the other. walmart is like the only thing around for all your necessary needs. There are a TON of thrift stores around.
--food : very generic food. I was expecting some authentic mexican, and I was disappointed to find out there is no such place in the city that I know of, or could find. We have asked multiple people and all we get for good food around here is a cafe in a texaco plaza... which has amazing burritos!
--weather : getting away from the humidity of ohio is amazing. sunshine every day out here. the uv is crazy high all the time. keep hydrated! and when it rains like out east, expect some flooding.
--general town scenery : (i am in no way being disrespectful to the people, just being honest by what i see) there are some pretty dumpy areas. yards are full of stuff that looks like it has been sitting for decades and houses run down like you would see in the ghetto. there are obviously nice areas too... but to be honest, i don't really care what the houses look like...but its pretty upsetting when you are in the middle of nowhere just taking a hike and you see a LOT of garbage IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!. I know it is from the flooding and all....but people need to be considerate of their city and show a little pride and appreciation for the land they are on. This area would be absolutely beautiful if people would clean up their yards.
--outter towns such as tularosa (which i love) and laluz are green...if you start missing those trees. haha.

But we are moving more towards Albuquerque (bosque farms) soon, it is a little too hot for our animals. Just jumped on an opportunity to move out to NM from a craigslist ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico