Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,253 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to be starting work at Holloman in a few months and have been looking for somewhere to live (I'll be visiting next week to look). I've been reading threads here about living in both Alamogordo and Las Cruces and was wondering if anyone feels that it would be worth living in Las Cruces and commuting to Holloman for work each day over living in Alamogordo.

It seems that Las Cruces has everything you'd expect from a city such as good internet, shopping, and restaurants but it seems like it would be a pretty tiresome commute 5 days a week. I'm guessing it's about a 45min drive at least vs a 10min drive from Alamogordo.

So is it worth looking for a place in Las Cruces over Alamogordo?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
I guess it just depends on how important the extras/amenities in Las Cruces are to you.

Is it worth a daily 120 mile round trip from LC to Holloman over 20 for Alamogordo?

Old 07-08-2014, 05:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Living in Alamo wins hands down, IMO. It's only an hour from either Las Cruces or El Paso for those times when larger city amenities beckon on days off. Driving the boring route daily from LC to Holloman will, indeed, get old fast. There is always a chance the highway will be closed for an hour or more for missile firings on any given day, which would interfere with getting to Holloman from Las Cruces, but not from Alamo.

One major advantage of Alamo, IMO, is the easy access to the cool heights of the National Forest and the resort towns of Cloudcroft and Ruidoso for one's spare time entertainment.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,253 times
Thanks!

I was definitely thinking of Cloudcroft and Ruidoso as pluses for Alamo. Great to know that they highway could be closed down for WSMR. I think my biggest concern (which is still small) is the internet in Alamo. I've heard Baja Broadband is good and the CenturyLink website has speeds up to 40 Mbs in some areas but only 1.5 Mbs in others. Are those my only real options outside of satellite?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alker View Post
Thanks!

I was definitely thinking of Cloudcroft and Ruidoso as pluses for Alamo. Great to know that they highway could be closed down for WSMR. I think my biggest concern (which is still small) is the internet in Alamo. I've heard Baja Broadband is good and the CenturyLink website has speeds up to 40 Mbs in some areas but only 1.5 Mbs in others. Are those my only real options outside of satellite?
I had Baja for four years in Alamo, and no complaints after the first 6 months (when they were laying the new fiberoptic cable). I'd kill for that again. Had it bundled with cable TV, and if you can get it, great!

As for speed, it was enough that I could view streaming video with little to no buffering.

Baja is here, but no cable to my lot, so I'm stuck with sat TV--as well as wireless internet. Glad to have them, but they both suck compared to cable. Don't settle for either if you don't have to do so.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM

I don't live in Alamo so can't really speak for internet services other than Baja, which serves the area where I live. I have basic 10mb/sec service and other than infrequent outages that interrupt both internet and phone service, I have no complaints. Their regional tech service center is in Alamo.

From their web site:
Quote:
Baja Broadband High-Speed Internet

Baja’s High-Speed Internet Service lets you surf and download huge files at blazing fast speed without the hassle of dialing-up to access the Internet.

• Fastest speeds around, up to 100 MB!
  • Always-on connection that doesn’t tie up your phone line.
  • Up to 5 e-mail boxes with 500 MB of storage.
  • The ability to share photos and videos on your own web page.
  • Access to superior security features for Pop-Up Blockers, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam, and Anti-Spyware software.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,285 times
Alamo is the way to go! LOL,,,lived there 5 yrs and loved it! Las Cruces is nice to visit,but that's about it!

Greenchili

Old 07-10-2014, 05:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
Get a nice singlewide in Alamo. No need to commute 120 miles a day that's crazy.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Caveat: I posted an excerpt from the Baja Broadband web site that says:

Quote:
The ability to share photos and videos on your own web page.
I sent them an email after posting that excerpt to remind them they need to edit that advertisement since they no longer offer web page hosting, and haven't ever since I signed on with them about two years ago.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times
Alamogordo living beats Las Cruuuuuuucces. Hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico