Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:49 AM

116 posts, read 251,735 times

Advertisements

OK since I have moved to Alamogordo I have heard people say how small the town is. Now by no means do I think it's huge but 8 don't think it's small either. I have lived in where places only had about 500 to 3500. What do yall consider small here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:26 AM

502 posts, read 1,383,473 times
Well, it would depend on what you are comparing it to. Compared to Albuquerque then Alamogordo is pretty small. Compared to Weed it would be pretty large.
See, clear as mud, right

Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,918,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator89 View Post
OK since I have moved to Alamogordo I have heard people say how small the town is. Now by no means do I think it's huge but 8 don't think it's small either. I have lived in where places only had about 500 to 3500. What do yall consider small here?
Whatever issues I had with Alamogordo, size wasn't one of them. Large enough for amenities to be there, small enough that traffic and crowding weren't a problem.

And yes, it does depend on what you're comparing it to--and what you are used to.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
I'd make the comparison of town (Alamo) to city (Las Cruces) and rate Alamo as a "large town." Ruidoso is small enough to be referred to by locals as "a village" as is Cloudcroft, while Tularosa and Carrizozo are usually referred to as "small towns."

Old 07-17-2014, 11:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,452,763 times
Although I grew up in one of the world's largest cities, I don't understand when people say, 'Albuquerque is not really a city, it's more of a big town". Albuquerque is definitely a city, a big one even. Sure it is no mega-metropolis, but it is no small town by a long shot.

I think a lot of people are under the misconception that skyscrapers and multiple millions in population are the minimum criteria for 'city' status.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,282,259 times
Alamo is a small city, but a city it most definitely is.

I figure it amounts to how often you need to head somewhere else for anything - shopping, doctors, movies, etc.

You could spend all year in Alamo and never need to go elsewhere - might not suit the socio-entertainment needs of some, but you could do it.

Living in a town or village, and you usually need to make a trip to the city once a month or more.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
Albuquerque is the 32nd largest city by population in the United States. It is larger than
Tucson, Arizona
Fresno, California
Sacramento, California
Long Beach, California
Alamogordo did not make the list of 293....

The smallest town I have lived in was about 8,000 population...

FROM: List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM

116 posts, read 251,735 times
I guess that it bothers me that people complain how small it is and how there is nothing to do. I get that compared to different places it could be considered small. It just baffles me.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,282,259 times
I stay plenty busy living in a small town, 200 or so.

I think the "nothing to do" complaint tells you more about the person making the statement than the place where they live. They'll run out of entertainment quicker in a small city than a big one, but the fundamental problem remains between their ears

Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM

21 posts, read 47,291 times
Yeah well I've lived in aztec for 7 of the 10 years I've been in new mexico. My dad was emotionally deadbeat and never did anything but come home do bills and sleep. All my friends in new mexico were from belen. 4 Corners area was highly conservative / religious and rejective. I've had few friends in aztec, most of which have moved or faded away.

All there was to do in this town for me was to bike around the ugly neighborhoods, go to convenience stores or safeway, or visit the same 2 parks over and over. Although that's 5 total things, it's still pretty shoddy, so it's close to nothing.

The rural / roughneck enviornments of new mexico have nothing going for them, except maybe recreation like hiking / biking, but that's not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico