Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM

6,399 posts, read 6,292,083 times

Advertisements

PS- coming from Massachusetts and i can deal w very hot summers if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,279,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Arizona time stays one hour ahead of us here in New Mexico all of the time.
Nope, in the winter AZ is the same time as NM. AZ does not participate in daylight savings so there is no springing and falling involved there - we change time, they do not.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 PM

Liberal politics - you would find AZ very frustrating. Even if you choose a fairly liberal locale, state politics is conservative to a fault.

Other than that and the ocean, a lot of cities in either AZ or NM would fit the bill. Sedona and Santa Fe might be a bit pricey, depends on what you expect for $250k.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,514,186 times
Who cares about politics? Sheesh. What a great subject ta just toss into a dirt bed and pour concrete onto. I don't know why it's always a mystery to voters when some guy that's promised Tesla on a silver platter turns out ta be one more liar with a lot of taxpayer money in his pocket.

I can't believe these R.Limbaugh and Shaun Hannity types that actually live, eat and breathe that filthy, polluted air. Check please!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Who cares about politics? Sheesh. What a great subject ta just toss into a dirt bed and pour concrete onto. I don't know why it's always a mystery to voters when some guy that's promised Tesla on a silver platter turns out ta be one more liar with a lot of taxpayer money in his pocket.

I can't believe these R.Limbaugh and Shaun Hannity types that actually live, eat and breathe that filthy, polluted air. Check please!
I mentioned politics only because the OP said it was important to her, she specifically listed "liberal politics" as desirable in features of her future home. My opinion on that subject comes from having lived in Tucson for 17 years before I moved to NM, and having had many liberal friends there who were very frustrated with the state political situation.

Maybe you should re-read the OP and consider editing that post - that is what I would do had I made it, but to each their own.

I agree with you that cluttering up a thread is not helpful. Maybe you and I should take the opportunity to tidy up these two posts and save Poncho the trouble.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,513,618 times
Living in NC but NM is on our radar. Everytime we visit I like it more and more, granted visiting is different from living in a place but beats sight unseen. NC politics taking turn far right and it is not just about how you get along with neighbors. It is impacting schools, tolerace levels and social structures important to what I want in a society so understand OPs concerns.They are valid issues worth consideration. NM seems pretty moderate overall a great place: weather, food, outdoor activities, art, culture has a good mix and lots going for it. Go and visit places once you narrow down your choices. Happy landing wherever

Old 08-01-2014, 06:51 PM

138 posts, read 270,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Okay folks, the main reason i joined this site was to find help deciding where i should relocate to. I have severe seasonal depression from Oct-April. Every year i tell myself i'm leaving but then inertia sets in . . .

THIS YEAR I AM MOVING!

SOCIAL: I'm a single chica in 30s, no kids, work from home, estranged from most fam and disconnected from most friends since they all started having kids. 2 cats which i adore

POLITICS: I am so far left that i am falling off the edge on social issues. I am a bit more moderate on fiscal policy but still have liberal values in that area. I'm not a fan of taxes (who is?) but especially since much go to school systems and i don't have kids. I read, but don't utilize the library. And i'm fine to pay for my own trash/recycling. Religion is open.

IDEAL (in no particular order):
  • Mild Winters
  • Liberal Politics
  • Can buy a house for about 250k
  • Low Taxes (on property, and income, don't care as much about sales taxes)
  • SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN!!!
  • Would love to be near the ocean but not mandatory (i don't know if i'd fit in on southern east coast and Cali is prob out of my price range)
  • An active Arts scene (artist is my second job)
  • Cat friendly

Some ideas i've been thinking of for many years:
  • North Carolina coast (but don't know where would be a good fit- suggestions??)
  • Sedona AZ (but not sure about losing daylight since there is no daylight savings time.)
  • Santa Fe or Albuquerque NM (but Albq may be too cold)
  • Maybe somewhere in Cali i haven't considered?
  • Florida- but where??
  • Vegas- low taxes, low COL, sun but do i REALLY want to be near all those "vices?"
I've already ruled out USVI and Hawaii.

Any thoughts (or at least help in whittling down my mega list??)

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

(PS- Sorry if you see this post elsewhere, i'm thinking i should post it in some of the places i'm considering too.)
Santa Fe is the place for you. It is actually colder than ABQ, but if you are coming from Mass, it's going to be totally different. We have SUN SUN SUN and it's warm enough most days in winter that you can get outside (both these will help the seasonal depression)

We are so far left that Democrats have ruled the area pretty much since it's inception.

The only challenge will be a house in that price range- they are out there, but I guess it depends how much house you are looking for.

Not sure what "cat friendly" means, but in general SF is VERY loving of it's pets. The local coyote population loves our pets, too, so that is something to bear in mind.

Compared to other places we do have low taxes and our cost of living (outside of the cost to buy a house) is not so bad, either, thanks to the mild weather that keeps utilities low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico