Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 AM

502 posts, read 1,379,945 times

Advertisements

I haven't delt with Ruidosos forestry department in a number of years. However, the estimate of $2,000.00 to take out some dead trees on just over a half acre of land is more than a bit high.
That is assuming they are not all what would be considered "hazard" trees that require climbing, topping, pulling etc.
When I was still cutting trees full time a full acre thinned to State Forestry standards was about $1,100.00 And that included removal from the land.
You are already paying to be able to stack the trunk and slash along the road and have it removed so the cost should be even less I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
I haven't delt with Ruidosos forestry department in a number of years. However, the estimate of $2,000.00 to take out some dead trees on just over a half acre of land is more than a bit high.
I would say that's an average cost, based on what has been charged to people I know who have had more than the allotted number of mature trees on their properties.

About 10 years ago, Long before the village imposed rules and regulations on tree removal, I paid the lowest bidder $400 to remove a single large tree that was rubbing up against the eave of my house. Next lowest bid was $1000 for the one tree. The "tree monkey" who cut down my tree did it in such a way that nothing ever fell on the house, and it took him all of an hour to bring it to grade. He went up the tree with two chain saws and didn't come down until he finished the job at grade level. Photos below...

So what a person pays will depend on many factors, not just a "per-tree" estimate - land layout, access, difficulty of cleanup and disposal, need to prevent damage to existing structures, etc.

And just because you remove trees one year to acceptable standards does not insure that you won't have more to remove if bark beetles attack the remaining trees. My sister doesn't live in the village, but her one-acre property on Cedar Creek has undergone several DEAD tree removals in the past ten years or so. Her once cool shaded deck is no longer cool during the day and the only way they can enjoy it is with the roll-out awning they installed.

Last edited by joqua; 08-08-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 AM

43 posts, read 110,801 times
Joqua,

So, this 5-year inspection thing that you mentioned earlier could turn into an every year thing, if circumstances such as bug infestation occurs?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robntoni View Post
Late last week, I receive a Certified Letter from the wonderful folks at Village of Ruidoso, stated that we have a bunch of dead trees on our lot that will need to be cleared off, to the tune of around $2000. Not only do I not have $2000 spare change sitting around, cutting trees will seemly devalue the lot.
Sorry to hear about your problems and the expense!

They've gotten pretty hard core here about fire. With good reason. Ruidoso is one of the highest fire danger locations in the country. If you were around when the Little Bear fire hit a couple years ago, you have an idea what I mean. If the wind had been blowing in a more NW direction rather than SW, it would have hit the town. The only thing that stopped that fire was because it moved out of the pine forest and into pinion/juniper.

So they want the lots in town kept as fire safe as possible, so if/when a big one hits they at least have a chance of stopping it before too much damage is done. They might have even decided that your lot is strategically important because it is on a ridge above Perk Canyon, on the west side of town. The high winds always come from the west.

Ponderosa pines burn easily. Dead ones burn an order of magnitude more easily. Your property will definitely *not* be devalued if you remove the dead trees.

I can't speak to your circumstances specifically, but maintenance of trees and debris is something every lot owner must do. I think you are getting hit with huge fees because you aren't doing it, and paying the city to do it is going to cost more than paying someone else (probably). The fee that residents pay for yard waste disposal is only for hauling it away. We still have to get it out to the road or pay someone to do it.

BTW, you'll get hit with more fees from the city (impact fees) if you ever decide to build. And water service is crazy expensive. It all makes Ruidoso a little more expensive than many places, but I still believe it is pretty cheap considering the amenities.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 AM

rruff,

I watched the Little Bear fire hourly, on the web. I made a visit to Ruidoso about 3 weeks afterwards, and the devastation made me sick to see. I felt really bad for those who had lost their homes.

We are trying to decide whether we made a mistake in buying our lot, and sell it. We bought with the intention of retiring there (about 10-12 years away), but it's starting to look like that might not be a good idea. I have been coming yearly (at least) to Ruidoso since about 1968, so it holds a special place to me. But the fire risk is really scary, the maintenance is heavy, and now you've got me concerned about these "impact fees". What exactly is that?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Joqua,

So, this 5-year inspection thing that you mentioned earlier could turn into an every year thing, if circumstances such as bug infestation occurs?
Unlikely that the village goes around reinspecting on a short-term basis. Most landowners don't want to leave dead trees standing due to the liability of them blowing over or otherwise falling. Especially if the fall would endanger adjacent property. Neighbors are much more likely to report those who choose to ignore the problems on adjacent properties.

Your objection to removing trees on the grounds that it will devalue property overlooks the fact that overgrown forests, curtailment of logging, and ever denser encroachment of buildings makes wildfires not only more destructive, but much more costly. I suspect the village ordinances help keep down the cost of insurance here.

As RRuff says, Ruidoso is considered one of the highest risk towns for being overrun by a wildfire and the Upper Canyon area is THE most dangerous place to be should a wildfire begin on the adjacent Indian reservation or within the canyon proper. Residents of the Upper Canyon have been aware of, and fighting for years, the danger of being trapped in the canyon with only one way out. But because "a creek runs through it," the Upper Canyon has also been one of the most desirable sites for second homes and creek frontage lots are valued at upward of $1,000 a front foot.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:48 AM

Right now our lot is surrounded by other lots, so there is no structures to damage from tree falls. Still, I don't want my trees to fall onto my neighbors lot anyway.

Since I posted my worry about devaluation of the land from tree cutting, I have done some web searching and have changed my stance on the issue. It looks like it might actually improve the look of the lot, therefore increasing the value.

I am about to call the Forestry Service and get some clarification on how often these inspections occur, and make a decision from there.....

Thanks to all for the info!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Quote:
But the fire risk is really scary, the maintenance is heavy, and now you've got me concerned about these "impact fees". What exactly is that?
I haven't gone through it, but I think it is ~$5k charge just to hook up to water and sewer. And then water and sewer cost ~$100/mo.

There pros and cons to every place. But if you like living in the high altitude western mountains, in a place with great year round climate, and plenty of distractions... you won't find another place as good that is less expensive. Relatively low property taxes in NM is one positive. Another is really cheap vehicle registration.

I don't know how thorough CityData's analysis is, but this is on the Ruidoso page:

"Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Ruidoso: 87.5 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)"

Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM

City sewer is not available where our lot is located, so a septic system will have to be built......now, that could change I suppose by the time we build there....IF we build there.

Called the Forestry Service....no one is answering....left a message and a callback number

Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Called the Forestry Service....no one is answering....left a message and a callback number
You might have some luck with village Code Enforcement. They work under the Chief of Police rather than the Planning and Zoning Dept, which is another source for information on ordinances.

Thought I'd toss in some comments on the required thinning ordinance. Since its inception and enforcement, it has created a LOT of jobs for contractors who do the work. That also bring competitiveness, so it's wise to get several bids before signing on with any given contractor. Also, I paid to have a wood stove installed once this thinning program started because firewood is free for the taking.

Last edited by joqua; 08-26-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico