Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 AM

10 posts, read 11,487 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning a trip for May and will be traveling from Michigan and will be going from Texas thru New Mexico into Phoenix. I was wondering in May what are the temperatures in New Mexico like? Are there plenty of places to stop to get gas and water, etc. What is the terrain like? I am looking forward to this trip and just want to have a good idea so I can have it planned. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,705,143 times
High highs will probably be anywhere from the 70's to the 90's depending on your route and the time of the month. If you're traveling the interstates there should be somewhere to get gas or use the restroom at least every hour or so. The interstates are mostly flat and straight. There are a few area with some mountains east of Albuquerque along I-40 and north of Santa Fe along I-25, but it's not difficult at all. It's nothing compared to I-70 in Colorado.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks for responding. I will be traveling Mid May. Your location is listed as NM, can you tell me where I can get a map of NM? I would like to have an actual map in my car while I am traveling. I'm looking forward to traveling thru NM and whatever I see. Since you are listed as being in NM do you have any recommendations for a good but reasonably priced place to stop for lunch along the way, some place where you can get a feel for the real NM not just the touristy portion. I like people and culture and would love to be able to see some of that but cannot stray far from the path. My Sister has back and leg problems so I have to keep everything where it is comfortable and easy for her.

Thanks Again.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldosMom View Post
Thanks for responding. I will be traveling Mid May. Your location is listed as NM, can you tell me where I can get a map of NM? I would like to have an actual map in my car while I am traveling. I'm looking forward to traveling thru NM and whatever I see. Since you are listed as being in NM do you have any recommendations for a good but reasonably priced place to stop for lunch along the way, some place where you can get a feel for the real NM not just the touristy portion. I like people and culture and would love to be able to see some of that but cannot stray far from the path. My Sister has back and leg problems so I have to keep everything where it is comfortable and easy for her.

Thanks Again.
It appears you will drive through New Mexico by way of Interstate I-40, I-40 through the whole portion of New Mexico. That is what I see from any point in michigan to Phoenix.

That route is Route 66 (more or less). This website portion covers Route 66 through the whole state of New Mexico: ROUTE 66

That drive is about 370 miles, a little over 5 hours of driving time. A Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/crhjz

Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 PM

4,883 posts, read 4,828,714 times
You can get a visitor's guide via mail here, as well as a lot of other info:
Download-Central - New Mexico Tourism - Travel & Vacation Guide - New Mexico Tourism - Travel & Vacation Guide

You can get more info at a state visitors' center on I-40 about 100 feet inside NM after crossing the Texas state line. They are open 9-5 I think.

We moved here from Michigan 15 years ago and have traveled that route many times.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 AM

18,247 posts, read 25,909,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You can get a visitor's guide via mail here, as well as a lot of other info:
Download-Central - New Mexico Tourism - Travel & Vacation Guide - New Mexico Tourism - Travel & Vacation Guide

You can get more info at a state visitors' center on I-40 about 100 feet inside NM after crossing the Texas state line. They are open 9-5 I think.

We moved here from Michigan 15 years ago and have traveled that route many times.
I've been in several of the New Mexico visitors centers including this one. They are all first rate and the employees are very helpful with any questions a person might have.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks to everyone for responding and your advice....I appreciate all of it. I cannot wait for this trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico