Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 12,862 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a new user on this site and I really enjoy reading about how it is to live in Albuquerque from people who have lived or are living there now. I would like to move to New Mexico after I'm finished nursing school in a couple years. I've looked into jobs with government health care sites, and I'm most interested in working for the Indian Health Service. Does anyone work for them or know someone who does? Any advice on how to join up or who to talk to? I would be relocating from PA with either an RN or a BSN. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 04:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalee View Post
Hello, I am a new user on this site and I really enjoy reading about how it is to live in Albuquerque from people who have lived or are living there now. I would like to move to New Mexico after I'm finished nursing school in a couple years. I've looked into jobs with government health care sites, and I'm most interested in working for the Indian Health Service. Does anyone work for them or know someone who does? Any advice on how to join up or who to talk to? I would be relocating from PA with either an RN or a BSN. Thanks in advance!
I believe Indian Health Service is a branch under the United States Public Health Service. So I believe that you have to apply to US Public Health in order to join Indian Health. I had a niece who was doing this, however, I am not sure off all the details or if I have the process correct. My best bet would be to call Public Health Service and talk to those people. Hope you had/ are having a very Happy Holiday season.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:25 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Tinalee:

Hello from a fellow nurse and welcome to the forum!

Best of luck in your studies and if I was just starting my career, I would consider a position in Indian Health to be very very difficult, but a challenge that might produce great satisfaction!

P.S. Make sure if you are considering a move to New Mexico that you make plans to visit the state and check it out before you decide to move.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 12,862 times
Thanks for the advice! I actually have relatives out in NM, in Los Lunas. Every summer when they go on vacation I come out and house sit for them, so I already know that I love NM and would like to move out there. I just think the IHS would be a good place to work because I'd like to work with underserved populations. Sometimes the websites for the government can be confusing and contradictory.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:06 PM

127 posts, read 555,011 times
Here is a website for vacancies and other information regarding Indian Health Services.

http://www.ihs.gov/

Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,277 times
Default Ihs

Greetings from another nursing student! There are several options for you to consider regarding working for Indian Health Service. Research them and determine what you think is the best fit for you, your lifestyle and where you see yourself in 20 years.

Nurses serve Indian Health Service as either civil service employee's meaning Federal employee working at IHS facilities. The website listed earlier in this board is where you would start looking for information about IHS and the main page has a link to job vacancies. [url=http://www.ihs.gov]Indian Health Service[/url] For more information contact the nurse recruiter for IHS in the area in which you are interested in working. These are federal jobs and follow the Federal Government pay scale.

Another option also mentioned earlier on this board is the nurses also serve IHS as Commissioned Officers with the United States Public Health Service. You can find more information about the Commissioned Corps at [url=http://www.usphs.gov]Public Health, Commissioned Corps[/url]. There is a 800 number on the website to call with recruitment questions. The Commissioned Corps is one of the seven Uniformed Services of the United States and closely mirrors the Navy in regards to Uniforms and Rank Structure. Pay is the same as DOD.

A third option is called direct hire. These are nurses that work for Tribally operated and managed health care. To locate these jobs you would need to being by looking at the Tribe/Reservation where you are interested in working. These are Tribal positions and each tribe determines their own position descriptions and pay scale.

I hope that this has helped. If you have additional questions feel free to ask them and I will answer as best I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico