Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,417 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in or near Bent? What do you see as its advantages/disadvantages? Do people get on despite racial/political differences?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Bent, Otero County, New Mexico???

Quote:
Bent is a census-designated place in Otero County, New Mexico, United States. Its population was 119 as of the 2010 census. Bent has a post office with ZIP code 88314.[4][5] U.S. Route 70 passes through the community.
Bent is a very sparsely populated rural community with too few people to cause the usual problems associated with even small town living. There has been relatively little development to date and most of the residences are either mobile/manufactured homes or older structures that date back a hundred years or more. Properties tend to be held by old-line area families. The east side of Bent is bordered by the Mescalero Apache Reservation. Nearby Tularosa is a sleepy small town with only the barest necessities, generally speaking.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Yeah, Tularosa does have a Dollar General and a Family Dollar and a smaller Lowe's grocery store than we have here in Alamogordo, NM. Tularosa has a lot of cool trees in it and some low-end homes, middle spot homes and some decent homes. A few restaurants here and there and a few gas stations. I guess the burger-joint in town isn't bad (never tried it) nor is the Tasty-Freeze (never tried it) on the southern edge of town. But Bent, NM, isn't much nor do I think it ever was meant to be much, on the founder's purpose.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:50 AM

481 posts, read 1,300,908 times
Wow, Bent? You picked a itty-bitty spot on the map to start a thread. Do I live there? No. Do I know anyone who does? No. It's a drive-through speck between Tularosa and Ruidoso. I don't intend to marginalize it in those terms, but why Bent?! Are you looking for cheap land? Yeah, it's there. But if you're looking to make a living and support a household, look further. If you're retired and wanting to "get away from it all," you found your place as long as you're in good health and don't mind driving to get, well, anything.

Bent is about equidistant to both Tularosa and Ruidoso but those are both small towns. If you need bigger services and shopping you're going to have to head to Alamogordo. If you need anything outside the basic Walmart or big-chain grocery store you make a monthly run to either El Paso or Albuquerque. And I'm not kidding when I say "monthly" run. You don't want to have to make that trek more than once a month.

Beautiful country, Bent is, but isolated and remote.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Bent, Otero County, New Mexico???

Bent is a very sparsely populated rural community with too few people to cause the usual problems associated with even small town living. There has been relatively little development to date and most of the residences are either mobile/manufactured homes or older structures that date back a hundred years or more. Properties tend to be held by old-line area families. The east side of Bent is bordered by the Mescalero Apache Reservation. Nearby Tularosa is a sleepy small town with only the barest necessities, generally speaking.

This is a fair assessment of Bent . I know of one man that was buried on his property there many years ago. He must have really loved it. He could have afforded anywhere to be buried but chose his property in Bent.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
This is a fair assessment of Bent . I know of one man that was buried on his property there many years ago. He must have really loved it. He could have afforded anywhere to be buried but chose his property in Bent.
The panoramic view out over the Tularosa Basin and White Sands is the biggest asset for those people who have sites that take advantage of the view. But Bent has never seen any sort of development, presumably because people who own the majority of the land there have no interest in selling.

Lately there has been a turnover in land in the drainage area between Bent and Tularosa, but because of lack of county code enforcement, what's been site-built there to date is shabbily built, for the most part. I know of one new home that was built "on spec" about ten years ago that was condemned by the state building inspector before it could be sold. Don't know what ever happened to it since it's in a remote spot I don't frequent. There have been a number of other "owner built" residences constructed on both sides of US-70 in recent years that look old and weathered already, as if they'd been there much longer.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,417 times
Thank you all. We live in the Gila Wilderness so Bent seemed pretty populated to us. But we decided we actually like living 45 miles from the nearest Post Office, so here we stay....

Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM

I ran across this wordless U-Tube video of what has to be one of the premium properties in Bent, NM - located at the mouth of Nogal Canyon. Interesting (to me) is that this video appears to have been filmed largely from either a helicopter, or more likely from one of the new drone devices that are catching on for this sort of thing.

Gods Ranch Edit - YouTube

The current MLS listing for this property has an asking price of ~$2.5Million.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I ran across this wordless U-Tube video of what has to be one of the premium properties in Bent, NM - located at the mouth of Nogal Canyon. Interesting (to me) is that this video appears to have been filmed largely from either a helicopter, or more likely from one of the new drone devices that are catching on for this sort of thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=YsZteKj1RRE
The youtube channel, Ruidoso Newmexico has more area videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_...kTHqyiA/videos

I would guess one of the commercial "Multi Rotor Radio Control Quadcopter" for lack of other terms... Something like this, maybe a more expensive unit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHGadXTJ80E

Which you can buy here: TowerHobbies.com | Heli-Max 230Si Quadcopter RTF w/Camera

Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The youtube channel, Ruidoso Newmexico has more area videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_...kTHqyiA/videos

I would guess one of the commercial "Multi Rotor Radio Control Quadcopter" for lack of other terms...
Thanks for the reference. Not sure who the person or company is making these real estate videos for the area market, but they know their stuff. Several of the videos on that U-Tube site are shot from a moving car/vehicle showing the route leading to the property in the companion video with aerial views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIjRaOIM2Dg&list=UUs_PJl2UBzFYy1kpkTHqyiA

In at least one of the aerials, the shadow of the drone can clearly be seen, looking much like a spider scurrying across the ground and over the rooftop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4VOvrfNqps&list=UUs_PJl2UBzFYy1kpkTHqyiA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico