Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,033 times

Advertisements

This thread from a few days ago has a couple links you'd probably be interested in.

But in a nutshell, the film industry is growing and doing quite well in NM. I believe the facilities at ABQ Studios are booked solid, Lionsgate is building a studio in Rio Rancho, Sony is moving a big chunk of its special effects/CGI production unit out here once construction of their facility is finished, and there is a perpetual list of films being shot across the state at any given time. Now if that whole writers strike would just get settled...

Chap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 AM

20 posts, read 79,944 times
Anyone know of any job boards, websites or production info other than the film commisions website, that would be great also! I cant find anything online
Thank you

Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM

710 posts, read 2,962,119 times
It is booming, but you may want to inquire with the experts. Here are some links that might prove helpful (I hope).

Home :: New Mexico Film

Film Office - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/film/index.html - broken link)

Albuquerque Studios :: Home Page

Sony Pictures Imageworks article
Albuquerque - Convention & Visitors Bureau - Sony Pictures Imageworks Expands Operations into Albuquerque

So again, I'm no expert on the subject but I can tell you that Hollywood has taken notice of NM. You may want to google ABQ and the film industry, there are pleanty of articles that have been written in Film Trade Magazines and the L.A. Times.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Albuquerque's film industry will have more and more competition from other states with various initiatives to attract film industry (including Pennsylvania, which has some pretty big plans), so my very uninformed impression is that it's still not clear how stable the film business is going to be in Albuquerque. I do think it has a very appealing environment in its favor, and it will probably be easier for people moving from Hollywood to adjust to a move to Albuquerque than to some other parts of the country.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times
Default Good luck

Good luck to you both.

If it works out, come back and tell us about it.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM

16 posts, read 100,681 times
I have a friend who moved here to work in the film industry. He has been here about 9 months and though he will probably tell you it hasn't been easy, he did get a small role working opposite Christopher Walkin in a movie that was filmed in Albuquerque. The movie won't be released for another 6 - 9 months so it is hard to say what it will do for his career, but I believe it shows there are opportunities for those with talent.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM

17 posts, read 140,010 times
Although the film industry in NM, specifically Albuquerque, isn't "booming" yet, it is growing steadily. However there is a lot of competition for the local jobs available at all levels, with film crews being brought here from CA for a big part of the production of most films, the same being true for the smaller number of tv filming that takes place here. There have also already been the beginnings of some controversy in the state regarding some language in certain labor laws that affect the film/tv industry (as an example, you may have noticed the controversy surrounding the filming of tv's Kid Nation here). That's an issue that's going to have to be addressed sometime soon.

NM is working hard to attract this industry, but still has a lot of work to do to make it 'booming'. And although the environment is attractive to some film projects, it still has limits to what it can offer that other states can't. The bottom line is that if you want to work in the film industry full time here, it would be risky to move here without a job already in place. It isn't a big enough or stable enough business yet to warrant risking a major lifestyle change or move on. Someday, perhaps, but not yet.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:58 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,729 times
The NM Film Office (nmfilm.com) keeps a running list of all the productions in NM, with crew calls, etc. There's also an online directory there of various services available to movie productions.
There is definitely a demand for technicians, set designers, and all sorts of below-the-line crew in NM, and most of that demand goes through IATSE, so I'd strongly encourage your husband to hook up with and possibly join IATSE Local 480 (iatselocal480.com)

Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,099 times
I'm somewhat in the same situation your husband is in. Went to school in florida (not orlando though). I'm assuming he went to fs. I'm trying to land a production job wherever that may be. NM is starting to grow in terms of production. It was just listed as one of the top places to shoot. The list includes: New York, Philly, Austin, Portland, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Shreveport, Las Vegas and a few others. Like some others say on this board, its growing but I think it might be somewhat difficult to get on. As much as I don't want to move there, I'm considering a move to LA. I would love to get on somewhere in Austin or NM if its possible. good luck

Old 02-02-2008, 07:14 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
There has been some press about the "big" stars putting down Albuquerque.

Jessica Alba: "You can only take Applebee's and Chili's so much. Our big day was hanging out at Walmart for five hours. It was like, 'Yeah Walmart!"

There have been some other comments from other biggies and people are getting miffed.

Who cares?

Do we really want to see a bunch of snooty stars hanging around here - taking up space?

I find it really interesting that people actually care so much what the stars think. Their job is to play pretend and look good on a screen and make us believe that they are someone else in the movie we are watching. (To entertain us.) Their job is not to inform or teach us from their vast fount of knowledge that they and they alone possess.

It appears that many people seem to think that the stars are actually like the individuals they portray in movies/T.V. - nice, caring, smart, together.

In reality they are just like anyone else who suddenly has vast sums of money thrown at them for doing very little. Some are together, some are petty, narcissistic snoots. The only real thing the stars have in common is that they tend to be better looking than us - especially on camera.

It doesn't help that the press keeps shoving microphones and cameras in their face asking "what do you think about [stuff]?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico