Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,921,202 times

Advertisements

Excellent point Mortimer!!!!!! Jessica Alba is a moron obviously. It is really funny, because you have people like Kevin Costner who try to buy houses here, and people like her who complain about everything.

Personally, I could care less about what stars have to say--unless they same something good about Albuquerque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,290,779 times
Doesn't suprise me really. Some of these bratty starlets will be lucky if they have any movie deals at all after age 30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
There has been some press about the "big" stars putting down Albuquerque.

Jessica Alba: "You can only take Applebee's and Chili's so much. Our big day was hanging out at Walmart for five hours. It was like, 'Yeah Walmart!"......

It appears that many people seem to think that the stars are actually like the individuals they portray in movies/T.V. - nice, caring, smart, together.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:47 PM

17 posts, read 140,089 times
Quote:
The only real thing the stars have in common is that they tend to be better looking than us - especially on camera.
This part I have to disagree with. In the past 10 years or so, there aren't very many actors or actresses I consider good looking. I'm not into the unwashed, scruffy, hair needs brushing/combing, thin as a preying mantis, wear your underwear on the outside, 'strike-a-pose', dead-trout-for-lips look. I honestly can't even tell most of today's current posse of actors and actresses apart, they all look the same. For every one of those actors or actresses, I have at least 5 friends who are more attractive and downright beautiful. And they actually know *gasp* how to stand still without looking backward over their shoulder and arching their back til their head almost touches their butts. Imagine that!

Yes, there are a very few of today's actors and actresses I think are attractive, but none from the current faulty mold. They're more from the era when you actually had to act, rather than strike 'the pose' and pretend that was acting.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,627,829 times
I have a co-worker who works as an independent network producer and he stays pretty busy. Of course, he limits the total time he works as he doesn't want to get into the union issues (under XX amount of hours you don't have to be union, apparently). So there is work out here. I'll pick his brain this week and see if he has any tips on getting started to pass on

Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,140 times
Default Orlanda to Albuquerque

I think you might want to visit as well if you haven' been through Albuquerque.

I'm not familiar with Orlando but have lived in Fort Lauderdale, Seattle and New York as well as Albuquerque (present).

One thing that all cities have in common is they are all "hyping" something about themselves and often times the residents even believe it.....

Albuquerque seems to have a growing film industries as others have said but it's not L.A., New York and may not even match the south Florida film industry. The landscape is stunning around New Mexico (actually most of the southwest). Albuquerque is a mixed bag in my opinion. The overall job market is modest at best and is often tied up in old boy networking issues. It has a reputation for this and it is well deserved.

I suspect a lot of the new industry that's coming in is expecting to take advantage of the low expectations for wages that exist here. People will be very nice in comparison to much of the east coast and you'll find there is real genuine southern (southwestern-southern) hospitality. It is pretty non-Anglo here and you may relate to this a bit by thinking of Miami neighborhoods and politics with it's large Cuban influence. If you're cool with this you'll be fine here. If not, you can be in for a long haul. In that regard it can seem very small town in Albuquerque both good and bad.

I would feel remiss if I didn't mention that there is an incredible rate of alcoholism here. Despite the highway carnage it has caused there's a relatively high tolerance for heavy drinking. You'll hear many attribute this to Native Americans but all races seem to get in on this rather sad part of NM "culture" Expect your car insurance to double from many parts of the country. On a simliar note, there was a recent survey which estimated that %5 of the State's residents have a chronic gambling problem.

In short, it's a city with many nice people, a culture that's unique to itself, low cost of living and very nice weather. It can also be quite dysfunctional, problems get taken care of manana, poverty, alcoholism and homelessness are quite serious here.

Oh, and you will like the green chili.......

Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,921,202 times
Quote:
Albuquerque seems to have a growing film industries as others have said but it's not L.A., New York and may not even match the south Florida film industry.
Hmm... Well Albuquerque Studios is the single largest studio complex out of So. Cal. Lions Gate is in process of moving to Rio Rancho, and Sony Imageworks Just moved here. So I would say all around it is pretty prosperous here.

Quote:
I suspect a lot of the new industry that's coming in is expecting to take advantage of the low expectations for wages that exist here.
Hmm... Interesting thought here. I can see where you are going with this, but I have personally noticed that wages seem to be going up. On the whole, there is a decent amount of some pretty high paying jobs starting to be offered.

All around a very interesting post...enjoy your first rep points

Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 PM

Why was Jessica Alba hanging around in a WalMart, anyway? She should have been out hiking Rinconada Canyon, or one of the other awesome hiking/walking/biking nature spots ABQ offers. Dumb girl.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 PM

811 posts, read 2,942,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Why was Jessica Alba hanging around in a WalMart, anyway? She should have been out hiking Rinconada Canyon, or one of the other awesome hiking/walking/biking nature spots ABQ offers. Dumb girl.
If you've seen her movies it doesn't come as a surprise that she hangs out at Wal-Mart.......Bad actress!!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:04 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,724,628 times
Quote:
There has been some press about the "big" stars putting down Albuquerque.

Jessica Alba: "You can only take Applebee's and Chili's so much. Our big day was hanging out at Walmart for five hours. It was like, 'Yeah Walmart!"

There have been some other comments from other biggies and people are getting miffed.

Who cares?

Do we really want to see a bunch of snooty stars hanging around here - taking up space?

I find it really interesting that people actually care so much what the stars think.
You know, I missed this earlier, and wow, this is going to kind of set off a rant and a half from me.

My hometown and current residence - Milwaukee, WI - is a metro population of about 1.7 million people. It is one of the smallest cities by far in the US that still support major/big league sports (the MLB Milwaukee Brewers are based here as well as the NBA Milwaukee Bucks and the city it essentially co-sponsor of the NFL Green Bay Packers).

You hear stories ALL the time here how big league athletes denigrate this city saying "there is nothing to do there", "it is so boring", "it is a cow town", etc., etc., etc. Blah, blah, blah.

I find that kind of talk to be some of the most inane, thoughtless drivel I could imagine. Same thing for these stars and Albuquerque.

Look, I realize that some people may be more "huge city" type of people. I get that. I also get that everyone - EVERYONE - prefers to be in different sized cities. Cathy who posts here alot thinks Albuquerque and El Paso are too big, she is cool with Alamogordo's size. Transversely, to me, ABQ and El Paso are a hare on the small size, but almost a perfect size. Others who are used to Denver or Phoenix might find ABQ too small for them. I get all of that.

But for these people who aren't spending their lives or even a year by any means in ABQ, rather, just just some passing time while working there, what in the world is it that you are so bored with?? Are there restaurants? Check. Bars? Check. Clubs? Check. Outdoor activities? Check. Sure, NYC might have 500 restaurants to every one in ABQ, but then again, how many different restaurants/meals can one eat in a day (especially someone like Alba who weighs probably a buck-five). Heck, Santa Fe is really close by with some of the most world class cuisine in the nation!

I think alot of times actors/athletes say this about cities/towns because they are basing it on "clubs" or snazzy/vastly-overpriced show-off places where they can go drink. OK, maybe Milwaukee only has 5 of those to Chicago's 50 and Albuquerque only 1 or 2, but again, how much booze can you possibly drink??? Surely if you need to have a cocktail THAT badly in a social setting to be "un-bored" you can find it to do in pretty much any US city above 300,000 people.

I guess my point being...if it is "excess" type places (or even regular old necessity type of places like hotels, grocery stores, etc.) for them that is important for not being "bored" in mid-sized cities, surely they can be found, just not admittedly in nearly the high numbers in much bigger cities. But do they have the attention spans of fruit flys that they need to have 500 different options for a week? Maybe if they were living there for the rest of their lives with their personalities, but they aren't.

To act flippantly like all there is to do in ABQ is "Applebee's, Chili's, or Walmart" is so inane I can't even describe it. Incredible.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM

Well, there's one positive thought....Jessica must not be into the drug scene, or she wouldn't have been so bored here in ABQ

(yes, I'm being sarcastic and making fun of the all negative crime and drug comments made elsewhere on the NM and ABQ forums)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico