Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 AM

457 posts, read 647,006 times

Advertisements

One reason the NM bar passage rate is high is because the only law school in the state, UNM, actually has a mandatory class in which they coach them in "bar exam prep" meaning they give them the answers from last years' Bar exam, which are also posted on the NM Bar Association's website. Also, the quality of their "home grown" lawyers is pretty pathetic. For a state which is supposedly predominantly Hispanic, their lawyers-in-training sure don't know what "racial profiling" is. I got pulled over by a rookie trainee cop and told it was because I was "going too slow," on a pretty much deserted mountain road on a Saturday morning, and "impeding traffic" which to him meant FIVE cars had passed me up; and "run through" and harassed for about half an hour even after I told the bastard I have a law degree - and finally given two tickets for SOMETHING ELSE, and at UNM the students were clueless as to why that constitutes racial profiling. You (as a state) cannot just say there's an alleged "minimum speed" you have to maintain (even in an older car going uphill from a stop light) and that "minimum" is not POSTED anywhere like it is in the states that do want to have established "minimum speeds" that they want to enforce. This is New Mexico making up laws as they go along. But it is racial profiling because the cop didn't LET IT GO even after I told him I have a law degree. I made my case and it has gotten DROPPED. In a state where drunk driving prevails, people on their cell phones and speeding regularly cause fatal crashes - the officer's priority was that I was "going too slow" in an older car on an almost deserted highway in the 8:00 hour on a Saturday morning. This is a tribute to the "quality" of their lawyers that their lawyers actually think this is OK. You see, "going too slow" is what the ACLU calls a "pretext stop." In other words, a bull**** stop. And it's racial profiling because a white woman lawyer wouldn't have gotten run through, harassed for half an hour and handed two tickets for other things.

So in all, I was told (at AAA the next business day) that if I wanted to practice law there I'd "make a killing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 10:33 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,944,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
This is New Mexico making up laws as they go along.
I. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. NM ST § 667-305(A).

(Source: Summary of State Speed Laws Eleventh Edition Current as of February 1, 2010, NHTSA.)

Quote:
But it is racial profiling because the cop didn't LET IT GO even after I told him I have a law degree.
So if you get charged with something and the charge isn't dropped after you've informed a cop that you have a law degree, that is racial profiling? You have a very idiosyncratic definition of racial profiling, in that case.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:02 PM

887 posts, read 1,217,883 times
So your law degree is some type of entitlement in your estimation? I hope if my kid ever starts yapping up hers from OSU to a NM "rookie trainee" she gets a second ticket just because. I'm curious though, do they have some type of sign in the rear window similar to student drivers that proclaims 'rookie trainee cop' or some other means to let one know?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:31 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,293,650 times
Penny, Penny, Penny . . .

Old 11-02-2014, 01:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,835 times
I'm lost….how is hassling you because you said you had a law degree considered "racial profiling"?

Wouldn't racial profiling be more like 5 cars clocked over the speed limit, 4 white drivers and 1 Hispanic/black/Asian (pick any) and the police only stop the one driven by a non-white?

You need a refresher course in basic argument presentation - you didn't make your case very clear, at least not here on the forum.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,835 times
Now I'm really lost. OP says they're a NY math teacher on another thread Dual degrees maybe?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,177,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Now I'm really lost. OP says they're a NY math teacher on another thread Dual degrees maybe?
Her CD "Public Profile" shows she's Native American living in Gallup area (zip code 87301), which says a lot, IMO.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:17 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,529,525 times
But she also posted this in July---

"Now that I'm back in New England I just wish people would stop treating me like they think I'm "from" the damn South. With all that touchy-feely and taking all day to get one sentence out of their mouths and so on and so forth."

City data is fun because one can be any person they want--- or three different people..

Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 PM

4,879 posts, read 4,824,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
But she also posted this in July---

"Now that I'm back in New England I just wish people would stop treating me like they think I'm "from" the damn South. With all that touchy-feely and taking all day to get one sentence out of their mouths and so on and so forth."

City data is fun because one can be any person they want--- or three different people..
No, she just has a rich fantasy life.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,108,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
One reason the NM bar passage rate is high is because the only law school in the state, UNM, actually has a mandatory class in which they coach them in "bar exam prep" meaning they give them the answers from last years' Bar exam, which are also posted on the NM Bar Association's website. Also, the quality of their "home grown" lawyers is pretty pathetic. For a state which is supposedly predominantly Hispanic, their lawyers-in-training sure don't know what "racial profiling" is. I got pulled over by a rookie trainee cop and told it was because I was "going too slow," on a pretty much deserted mountain road on a Saturday morning, and "impeding traffic" which to him meant FIVE cars had passed me up; and "run through" and harassed for about half an hour even after I told the bastard I have a law degree - and finally given two tickets for SOMETHING ELSE, and at UNM the students were clueless as to why that constitutes racial profiling. You (as a state) cannot just say there's an alleged "minimum speed" you have to maintain (even in an older car going uphill from a stop light) and that "minimum" is not POSTED anywhere like it is in the states that do want to have established "minimum speeds" that they want to enforce. This is New Mexico making up laws as they go along. But it is racial profiling because the cop didn't LET IT GO even after I told him I have a law degree. I made my case and it has gotten DROPPED. In a state where drunk driving prevails, people on their cell phones and speeding regularly cause fatal crashes - the officer's priority was that I was "going too slow" in an older car on an almost deserted highway in the 8:00 hour on a Saturday morning. This is a tribute to the "quality" of their lawyers that their lawyers actually think this is OK. You see, "going too slow" is what the ACLU calls a "pretext stop." In other words, a bull**** stop. And it's racial profiling because a white woman lawyer wouldn't have gotten run through, harassed for half an hour and handed two tickets for other things.

So in all, I was told (at AAA the next business day) that if I wanted to practice law there I'd "make a killing."
5 cars is the legal definition last I checked. Stopped reading after you accused him and the lawyers of incompetence without knowing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: