Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,550,457 times

Advertisements

joqua - I'm ashamed of you, man! Falsely putting out No Trespassing signs. Did you guys ever head as far south as Timberon ta camp out at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,919,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
For those living close enough to make it to Cloudcroft in a couple of hours time (Las Cruces, El Paso, Alamo, etc.), the solution CAN be to travel back and forth in an RV that is self-contained and can be parked on Natl. Forest property for a weekend.

That's what my family did for a number of years when I last lived in El Paso ('68-'75). We'd have the RV all packed and ready to leave after the wife and I got home from work on Fridays. We'd be parked in Cloudcroft in one of several favorite places in time for the wife to fix supper. And we'd leave on Sunday afternoon in time to be back in El Paso by dark.

For "entertainment" we carried along two Honda trail bikes, volley ball equipment, tents for the kids to sleep in, campfires after dark, etc. Our kids often took along friends which made it awkward if they all tried to sleep in the RV (travel trailer), but they loved sleeping in the tents anyway. Since the towing vehicle could be un-hitched for rides into town and to refill water cans, personal cleanliness for two days was never a problem. The weekends always seemed too short. And the places we selected for camping we usually had all to ourselves. I cheated sometimes by putting out "No Trespassing" signs at the access point to the camping sites.
LOL!! Evil boy......

But that is definitely a good solution. You have somewhere to sit and enjoy the cool!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:47 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,196,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Did you guys ever head as far south as Timberon ta camp out at?
I don't consider Timberon a place to camp since it is mostly private property and not all that scenic or interesting in comparison with where we camped on the Sunspot highway. One difference today is that the Forest Service has fenced off both sides of the paved hiway to restrict access points. That was not the case when I camped there with my family. We could literally pull off the paved road anyplace it was feasible to do so with a travel trailer. Our favorite camping location is still very open to campers - and the one-lane access road is not fenced. The last time I camped there was in 1989 when I was by myself and had time to begin several paintings while there - looking out over the Tularosa basin with Sierra Blanca in the distance.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:53 PM

294 posts, read 728,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPenny View Post
We are a couple in our mid30s with 3 cats looking to move to New Mexico, Colorado, or Arizona. New Mexico is the top of our list. We have been researching places throughout the US and beyond for a few years now, but we are now in place where we could conceivable move within the year. We are narrowing down the search because we hope to move by the end of the summer 2015. My husband has a government job that exists in virtually every town and can technically transfer wherever there is an opening. Thus our move will be heavily dependent on where that opening is! i work from home.

We have lived in Pittsburgh, PA for 8 years and have been feeling the itch to move on for a few years. We don't get nearly enough sunlight. We try to travel internationally (Mexico, Central/South America, Europe, East Asia) at least once a year and enjoy camping on the weekends.

I love the convenience of where we live as we can walk to tons of restaurants, coffee shops, universities, museums, etc... but I cannot stand traffic zooming by as I walk or hearing sirens at all hours. I literally cannot stand it as I actually have a vestibular neurological disorder that is activated by loud sounds and fast movements. Too much sensory action gives me a vestibular migraine (frequent) or a grand mal seizure (vary rarely). AND I miss the wilderness like crazy! The older we get the less we use the big city amenities. I grew up in the woods 3 hours north of here. It was very isolated without the option of walking to a store. I miss seeing the stars.

We make approx $65K a year and will have significant savings when we sell our home.

What we want:

sunshine, quietness, ability to walk for hours (can be hiking on rural paths or an quietish urban sidewalk), cleaner air

I have a driver's license but don't drive as Pittsburgh is too busy. I would like to live somewhere I could at least catch public transportation or safely bicycle to see the occasional doctor, visit the library, take a painting class, lap swim, etc... I walk a lot. So an hour long walk one way is normal. Each weekend we walk for 5 hours or more.

What we either don't want or aren't interested in:
Nightlife, congestion, strip malls, big box stores

I have heavily researched the major cities in New Mexico, but am open to small places outside of the city.

Do you have any suggestions?

We would rent at first approx $1,000 a month and if we liked it enough we would purchase around $200,000.

I am so torn with wanting to get away from a city, but also love the freedom of walking! We don't mind heat or cold, as long as it's sunny! We don't care to live in a place that is too manicured. I have only lived in old homes and never considered moving to a sub development until researching New Mexico. We actually surprised ourselves when we liked what we read about Eldorado! I like that there are miles upon miles of walking paths, access to a pool for lap swim, and that there are buses (however limited) to Santa Fe center. I realize that is out of our price range, but it did open our eyes.

We are open to anyplace in/near ABQ, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, etc...

Thanks!

Feel free to ask any questions!
If you don't mind me asking what kind of occupation is your husband involved in that's located anywhere? I can assure you whatever it is it will not pay what you expect it to. I moved back to NM for a couple years with an offer to do the same. Although I truly love the state for its abundant raw beauty and outdoor opportunities, the fact is unless your working at the labs or on a military contract the pay locally is dismal. Granted it can be cheap to live there, but there's a reason that is the case. It would be a great place to retire though, which is my plan at the moment.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:18 AM

Default New Mexicans making minimum wage can't afford rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
If you don't mind me asking what kind of occupation is your husband involved in that's located anywhere? I can assure you whatever it is it will not pay what you expect it to.
Refreshing this thread to call attention to this news article today (Dec. 30, 2014) for all of those readers contemplating moving to NM because it appears to offer a lower cost of living than where they are now.

New Mexicans making minimum wage can't afford rent

Old 12-30-2014, 09:51 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,987 times
Good thing only about 4% of working New Mexicans make Minimum wage or below.

Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

Old 12-30-2014, 03:59 PM

150 posts, read 254,460 times
I'm learning a lot reading these postings about cool places outside of Albuquerque. But I suspect that Albuquerque itself might be ideal for the OP or other city folks craving sunshine, quietness, cleaner air, hiking/biking/walking opportunities as mentioned by the OP. OP said she has researched the major cities in New Mexico already, but I want to make sure that this point is not lost because I identify with the OP's wants and Albuquerque meets them for me in spades. Albuquerque has so much less congestion and noise than a city like Pittsburgh that the poster might find it meets her unique medical needs as well.

Check out the following posting to see if you identify with the other similar underappreciated aspects of Albuquerque:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...epreneurs.html

Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,623,426 times
A much more revealing statistic would be the % of the population that makes *near* the minimum wage... like MW +25%... don't you think? Because most employers will boost any half decent employee's wage over the minimum after they've been there awhile, even if it's only a few cents.

I bet the number making close to minimum in NM is quite high.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:26 PM

Default Most bang for your buck?

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/Price-Parity-2012.png

I would have expected to see NM as having more value than is shown.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:58 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,709,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/Price-Parity-2012.png

I would have expected to see NM as having more value than is shown.

Quality housing can be expensive in NM compared to some other 'low cost' locales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico