Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
If you want to read a firsthand account of Silver City's mid-earlier days, this book is a page-turner...BLACK RANGE TALES | James A. McKenna | Reprint

He was sheriff for a while, and a prospector, arrived at Deming around the time it was named.

I like the vibe in NM, there's a certain kind of quietude that goes missing in AZ even when it is quiet. I like the way it is not for everyone. Thank goodness for that. Far as the dirty food store, on a snowy day they get that way, grew up in the NE and people track it in.

To the OP, you might look into Bisbee. 5000 feet, another PD mining town but the mine is getting shut down, good restaurants, quirky, history, some of it unpleasant and weird, and a wide range of characters. It is as un-AZ a town as can be found in AZ, IMO. Fortunately there's Tombstone up the road to contain the touristas.

I had a job offer in the UP, always liked folks I met from there, but the real estate ads were enough to convince me that things were falling apart a bit. That and the snow. :^)
I thank everyone for their remarks on SC. I guess we are not mining town material.( other than from where we are from! ) I have always liked NM. Am no stranger toI-40 and points north.nThis is the first time we have ventured off the Interstate in the southern half of the State.

Noticed Bisbee, but assumed it's just another treeless desert waterhole.i like the desert, but it seems only above 7,000 ft. We did Cloudcroft last Sunday , at 9,000 ft it's beautiful . Never knew such existed in the southern parts of the state....just too cold for mid-winter,,,We have decided to do Feb. in Tucson, then Santa Fe in March-April.

We are proud residents of the UP ( in summer), don't mind the snow , it's the cold what's changing things. Considering Lake Superior has always kept our temps in the 20, and above, with lots of sun shine. Things have changed weather wise, that the only reason we decided to become Snowbirds. You should have looked at Marquette, a real boom town! our economy is booming !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 05:08 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I thank everyone for their remarks on SC. I guess we are not mining town material.( other than from where we are from! ) I have always liked NM. Am no stranger toI-40 and points north.nThis is the first time we have ventured off the Interstate in the southern half of the State.

Noticed Bisbee, but assumed it's just another treeless desert waterhole.i like the desert, but it seems only above 7,000 ft. We did Cloudcroft last Sunday , at 9,000 ft it's beautiful . Never knew such existed in the southern parts of the state....just too cold for mid-winter,,,We have decided to do Feb. in Tucson, then Santa Fe in March-April.

We are proud residents of the UP ( in summer), don't mind the snow , it's the cold what's changing things. Considering Lake Superior has always kept our temps in the 20, and above, with lots of sun shine. Things have changed weather wise, that the only reason we decided to become Snowbirds. You should have looked at Marquette, a real boom town! our economy is booming !
Bisbee's a nice place for an afternoon. Otherwise, Silver City all the way. And Bisbee's probably more of an old mining town than even Silver City. Also, Bisbee's a bit biker-y/tattooed up. If that's your thing, it's perfect. Otherwise, not really.
Some neat stuff in Bisbee, but also seems like a good place to end up in a knife fight.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:45 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Bisbee's a nice place for an afternoon. Otherwise, Silver City all the way. And Bisbee's probably more of an old mining town than even Silver City. Also, Bisbee's a bit biker-y/tattooed up. If that's your thing, it's perfect. Otherwise, not really.
Some neat stuff in Bisbee, but also seems like a good place to end up in a knife fight.
Yikes !! Think I will stay from Bisbee. I do recall stories from " True West" magazine when I was a kid, they talked all about Bisbee and Tombstone..

Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
We have decided to do Feb. in Tucson, then Santa Fe in March-April.
That'll work!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:20 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I've never found Bisbee at all threatening and have spent a fair bit of time there...there are a couple bars that might draw a biker crowd, but the locals have a very strong post-hippie/artsy vibe and in my experience have generally been very friendly and welcoming. Maybe some of those tattoos were on ex-hippies, performance artists, or gutter punks?

I know this isn't the place for it but Bisbee has a lot of small B&Bs and several old hotels and great places to eat and is a great weekend getaway from Las Cruces or even Albuquerque. It's a lot closer to major highways than SC and has a lot more old buildings and a very built-up historic downtown. Lots of fun: we were regular visitors on New Year's Eve - when the whole town throws a party complete with parade - for several years before we became parents.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:27 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
I love Bisbee, and I've never felt the least threatened there either. Mellow place. You make many good points about Bisbee compared to Silver City. More tourism for sure, closer to a bigger town (Sierra Vista), even milder climate. On the negative side the setting isn't as nice (more desert with gnarly whitethorn), no huge mountain wilderness near (but not too far either), lower population so less local service, and more traffic. Being near the border can be good or bad depending.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:45 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I love Bisbee, and I've never felt the least threatened there either. Mellow place. You make many good points about Bisbee compared to Silver City. More tourism for sure, closer to a bigger town (Sierra Vista), even milder climate. On the negative side the setting isn't as nice (more desert with gnarly whitethorn), no huge mountain wilderness near (but not too far either), lower population so less local service, and more traffic. Being near the border can be good or bad depending.
Is Bisbee really that much smaller than Silver City? (It may be; I really don't know). In terms of local amenities, you're certainly closer to a lot of other small-to-medium-sized towns (Douglas, Tombstone, Sierra Vista, even Benson) than Silver City is to much of anything. Don't get me wrong, I really like Silver City but it's quite isolated.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Silver City is almost double the size, and has several little towns near. It is quite isolated from any large towns or cities, though. Bisbee is only 30min from Sierra Vista which has ~50k people.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Bisbee is cool but I'll bet the greedy real estate people have ruined the affordability of it.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:07 PM

99 posts, read 315,534 times
According to info from the internet, Bisbee has 1.853 sq miles with a population of 5,575. Silver city has 10.1 sq miles with 10,273 people. No wonder Bisbee felt crowded to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico