Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:20 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
There are 7 pages of 'software engineer' jobs listed on the state Department of Workforce Solutions web site http://jobs.state.nm.us/

Most are federal contractors but it looks like maybe a few aren't.

THere are 9 pages for 'electrical engineer'
Most people are specialized in the software engineering skills - a person who does "big data" would not have an easy time in the LAMP stack (front end work). Many people specialize in languages too - Python, Java etc. A good software engineer should be able to pick up a language or technology and do a good job but the employer has to have faith in that situation (most employers hire for a specific technology, as myopic as that is, it is the reality). So, 7 pages of software engineer jobs may mean a lot or may mean nothing . I have no clue as to how electrical engineers do their work and what their narrow specializations are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Most people are specialized in the software engineering skills - a person who does "big data" would not have an easy time in the LAMP stack (front end work). Many people specialize in languages too - Python, Java etc. A good software engineer should be able to pick up a language or technology and do a good job but the employer has to have faith in that situation (most employers hire for a specific technology, as myopic as that is, it is the reality). So, 7 pages of software engineer jobs may mean a lot or may mean nothing . I have no clue as to how electrical engineers do their work and what their narrow specializations are...
I'm aware of that. The OP didn't mention any particular skills or sub-specialty, thus the general nature of my response. I assume the OP's husband is capable of going to the web site to see if anything there is appropriate to his skills.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I have no clue as to how electrical engineers do their work and what their narrow specializations are...
I know. You start with pages like funkymonkey posted. That is still not a complete answer as that was just Government jobs. I have an Electrical Engineering degree (BSE) and some software experience, but all my experience is Military or Federal related, employment as a "Missile Mechanic", Consultant, Instructor, and a few other job descriptions.

The Title "Best places in NM for non-military engineering jobs" disturbs and puzzles me. I am a retired U.S. Soldier...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-28-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 11:37 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is still not a complete answer as that was just Government jobs.
Just to clarify not all the jobs listed are government jobs. Google (Titan Aerospace) has several jobs in Moriarity for someone with the right skills. I saw a couple medical device EE jobs.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Just to clarify not all the jobs listed are government jobs. Google (Titan Aerospace) has several jobs in Moriarity for someone with the right skills. I saw a couple medical device EE jobs.
My error! funkymonkey said "7 pages of 'software engineer' jobs listed on the state Department of Workforce Solutions web site http://jobs.state.nm.us/"

I was thinking USAJobs https://www.usajobs.gov/ The Federal government's official job list. They have listings for a variety of engineers...

Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 PM

150 posts, read 253,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingcat23 View Post
We're thinking about the PNW... but taking a sunny vacation to NM. Maybe that would be the perfect solution for now.
Looks like the OP has come to a decision, but for others reading this in the future, you might consider Albuquerque. Although the economy is still sluggish, UNM has an excellent engineering program, and the city is making some smart moves in developing the downtown as an entrepreneurship and innovation zone in conjunction with the University.

It's a quirky place that may not always appeal to the average American, but it seems to have a special appeal for downshifting coastal urban professionals we are accustomed to minor urban nuisances and are nourished by Albuquerque's quirkiness, friendliness, and subtle beauty.

The following post describes how to develop an appreciation for Albuquerque.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...epreneurs.html

I'm starting to job hunt remotely for jobs in Albuquerque now myself, and here's what is working for me:

1) check a job listing website (my favorite is Indeed.com) for relevant listings in Albuquerque
2) apply for a professional job
3) get flown to Albuquerque for free to interview

I just completed step #3 yesterday myself. They flew me from Silicon Valley to spend two days in Albuquerque interviewing. It went great. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Abraxas; 01-28-2015 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico