Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite NM city/town?
Abiquiu - unincorporated town - pop 621 0 0%
Alamogordo 9 6.52%
Albuquerque 21 15.22%
Angel Fire 0 0%
Artesia - pop 11,338 1 0.72%
Carlsbad 2 1.45%
Chaparral 1 0.72%
Clovis 0 0%
Deming - pop 15,399 1 0.72%
Dona Ana-Hill - pop 28,982 0 0%
Espanola 3 2.17%
Farmington 1 0.72%
Gallup 1 0.72%
Grants 3 2.17%
Hobbs 3 2.17%
Las Cruces 18 13.04%
Las Vegas - pop 13,689 1 0.72%
Los Alamos - pop 12,085 0 0%
Los Lunas - pop 14,362 0 0%
Lovington - pop 10,108 0 0%
North Valley - pop 13,456 0 0%
Ojo Caliente - unincorporated community - pop 1,010 0 0%
Portales - pop 12,182 0 0%
Raton 1 0.72%
Red Rock - pop 24,465 0 0%
Reservation - pop 10,733 0 0%
Rio Rancho 4 2.90%
Roswell 2 1.45%
Santa Fe 14 10.14%
Santa Rosa - pop 2,574 1 0.72%
Silver City 7 5.07%
South Dona Ana - pop 26,463 0 0%
South Valley - pop 44,084 0 0%
Sunland Park 1 0.72%
Taos 10 7.25%
Truth or Consequences 3 2.17%
Tucumcari 1 0.72%
- 1 0.72%
OTHER - 26 28 20.29%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:23 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,559,665 times

Advertisements

Went to school in 'Cruces. I love the area. Now its so much faster growing than when I was there (mid 90's). Loved being less than an hour from El Paso, about 45 minutes from Alomogordo and the Dunes. Mesilla right next door (what an awesome little town in itself), driving along the Rio Grande, smelling the Chiles and the Onions.. Driving through the Pecan Groves at night under the Desert Moon. Hiking in the Organs. Really just a great town.

I did get up to Albuquerque a few times while I was there - I liked it, but it seemed very strip-mally and suburban to me, just like the midwest that I'm from. I did like downtown Albuquerque (old town) and the mountain and tram
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:11 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,397,741 times
^^
agree with above on Las Cruces. Great small city!
Best weather in all of the US. Very scenic and friendly.
Nearby El Paso provides a big city escape.

Sunland Park on the other hand is almost like a colonia (ghetto) of Mexico. Pretty dumpy but scenic.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,721,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Ruidoso and Clayton
Ahhh...I don't know how I accidentally omitted Ruidoso from the list. As I stated in my original post, obviously I could not include all the towns in NM (such as already mentioned Socorro, Las Vegas, Red River, etc.) and that is why I did an "OTHER" option, but I absolutely should have put Ruidoso in there! I intended to, that was my mistake.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,821,491 times
If you'd put in Cloudcroft, I probably would have voted for it. I know it's impractical given the size of the town. I went with Las Cruces, my town, but was close to picking either Albuquerque or Santa Fe, but went with Las Cruces because it is less hectic, and the weather is just superior.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times
Its not impractical mike. Love what town you love for whatever reason. I never once though a cowboyesque town like Clayton would be my fave NM place here but it is. Its just so relaxed which is a perfect match for my personality.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 AM

710 posts, read 2,963,522 times
My vote is Santa Fe, reason below:
Dining options
Pueblo Architecture
Events and Shopping
Elevation and the beautiful Sangre De Cristo's

2) Las Cruces
3) ABQ
4) Four Corners Area
5) Ruidoso

If I could make as much and find similar work in Las Cruces, I'd probably move south. ABQ is and always has been home, but I love the new neighborhoods of LC and all the palm trees. Like EnjoyEP, I think Cruces has the best weather in the nation, ABQ is a very close second. But there are so many great things happening in ABQ that I really don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:39 PM

25 posts, read 79,992 times
I like the following towns the most:

1) Jemez Springs-just like all that it offers and the proximity to ABQ
2) Santa Fe-Can you say Pecos Wilderness?
3) Four corners region-great flyfishing area with the San Juan so close....
4) Chama area-guess you could consider this 4 corners region but the beauty here is unmatched....
5) Albuquerque-Love the Duke city and want to make this my homebase for all my adventures....

There are so many cool places to list but those 5 areas cover my favs..

Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
I realize NM has a TON of great cities/towns, so yes, it is hard to vote for only 1! But vote for your favorite of the most favorites!

Both New Mexico and Texas have so much to offer.....I chose Alamogordo at this time mainly because I love the Sacramentos...and I have to be close to family! When I first saw Alamo (in 35-40 years, that is..), I had a contract on a house in Farmington. I was on my way back to Midland, and decided to go home that way, just out of curiosity.

When I drove in....I went...WOW. What a beautiful place. I'll have to come visit more later when I move to Farmington. Well......the property inspection came back.....and for various reasons, I terminated the contract...and came back to Alamo for a second look.

The rest is history...

I liked a LOT of places in New Mexico.....Farmington (very far from family and almost out of my price range), Los Alamos, Santa Fe (both out of my price range), ABQ (wonderful city, but just too big for me), Las Cruces (hotter than I like, but neat place) and finally, Alamogordo. The easygoing pace of life, small-town feel (but with amenites) and the nearby mountains.....perfect. El Paso is nearby, and I will admit I like being close to Texas...because, like it or not, it will always be home. EP is just too big and busy for me also.

The summers here in Alamo may prove too hot for me over time, but we shall see.

This is gonna sound sappy as h****, but.....I go out my front door every morning to get the paper...and I spend a few minutes gazing at both Sierra Blanca and the Sacramentos! The sunsets are just glorious--as are West Texas'.....but the mountains make EP and Alamogordo's sunsets and sunrises especially glorious.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:00 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,721,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I liked a LOT of places in New Mexico.....Farmington (very far from family and almost out of my price range), Los Alamos, Santa Fe (both out of my price range)...
Overall, just a great post Cathy...you are one of the regular posters that shares my love and passion for Southern NM / West Texas! Very well stated.

Gosh darnit, though, I forgot to have Los Alamos on this list! Surely I needed it there. I think LA and Ruidoso should have been included...I apologize it wasn't. I have also heard requests for Las Vegas, Socorro, etc., there were just so many! Sorry for a few omissions folks - keep using "OTHER" when that applies and put comments down here!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Overall, just a great post Cathy...you are one of the regular posters that shares my love and passion for Southern NM / West Texas! Very well stated.

Gosh darnit, though, I forgot to have Los Alamos on this list! Surely I needed it there. I think LA and Ruidoso should have been included...I apologize it wasn't. I have also heard requests for Las Vegas, Socorro, etc., there were just so many! Sorry for a few omissions folks - keep using "OTHER" when that applies and put comments down here!
Thanks, EnjoyEP.....how's it going with the job search?

Los Alamos is really a very different place, though. What made me pause was not only the high prices....but the fact that it is relatively hard to access, and the fact that you have to drive to Santa Fe for major shopping, etc.

I also learned a very HARD lesson. I was not aware that the road that my mapping software chose for me (Highway 4, then 126) was NOT paved. I have since learned that certain markings indicate an unpaved road. I left Los Alamos to go to Farmington....and I came upon Highway 4, then 126....the road crew LET ME PASS (this was Feb 2007), and was probably laughing when they saw my Texas plates...."Hey, let's have some fun with this !@#$ from Texas.."...I stayed on 126, which went through the Santa Fe National Forest, which at any other time of the year would have been beautiful. In February, it was muddy, slick and very slow driving. I discovered that I was a better driver than I thought. I had to drive fast enough to avoid getting stuck in the mud (a lethal mix of clay and sand, mostly clay) and slow enough to keep from sliding down the side of the mountain....I finally came out on to 550...and it took me 5 hours. All I had to do was stay on 4 and go on down to Jemez Springs/San Isidro Pueblo, and then back up to 550 to Cuba/Farmington. I did not have 4WD at the time, and they (the road crew) had NO business letting anyone pass on that road unless they lived along that route.

I will always be grateful to my guardian angel who was with me the whole time.

I have not been to Red River....Silver City, and a number of other smaller places....all in good time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico