Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,730 times

Advertisements

hello,

I am being offered a position at Joule's Hobbs site, and have been trying to figure out where to live.

In case it makes any difference whatsoever, a bit about me:

I live in Temecula, CA currently (and am already nervous about moving out of state because I constantly hear about hostile opinions towards Californians from just about every other state). I prefer smaller towns to larger cities, and I am looking for a safe place to live.

In just about everything I have read about Hobbs itself, people have had very little positive to say. I was only there for a short while to interview face to face, so I have no idea if it is any better or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:45 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Let me sum up Hobbs: Take Temecula and get rid of the hills and mountains, make the temperatures more extreme, and increase the price of housing. Oh, and make it even more isolated.

The good news, you're only two flights away from California should you want to go visit.

Hobbs' housing crisis is starting to abate, now that the fracking boom is letting up a bit. I imagine housing prices are like gas prices- go up like rockets, down like feathers.

Living out of an RV may be your only option in more extreme cases; meanwhile, living with roommates is probably doable and affordable and won't be as big an adjustment coming from Temecula.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,730 times
Really? I had read that the median housing cost was significantly less than here (97k as opposed to 311k). Do you have any suggestions on other options?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srentiln View Post
Really? I had read that the median housing cost was significantly less than here (97k as opposed to 311k). Do you have any suggestions on other options?
Hobbs has been experiencing a boom of almost Bakken-level proportions since most of city-data's data was collected. Housing prices and particularly rents shot up as a result.

In addition to the oil & gas boom, economic development in the nuclear sector has been particularly pronounced in the area.

In short, any idiot in the area (who can pass a drug test) can find an upper-five-figures job (or >$100k), but homes and apartments have not been constructed at the same pace.

The fracking boom is letting up throughout the country, which should help for new entrants.

Check hotel prices to get an impression of real-world effects on rents.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
While there has been a housing crunch in SE New Mexico with the oil boom and houses may be relatively hard to come by, the price of housing in Hobbs will be much, much lower than what you're used to coming from California.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Here's the Zillow listing of homes for sale in Hobbs:
Hobbs NM Real Estate - 66 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Looks like $100-120/sq ft is the going rate.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
It doesn't matter what the prices of houses are if there are no houses available! The problem throughout the oil producing region is the lag in construction vs booming economy in other sectors.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:05 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
hello,

I am being offered a position at Joule's Hobbs site, and have been trying to figure out where to live.

In case it makes any difference whatsoever, a bit about me:

I live in Temecula, CA currently (and am already nervous about moving out of state because I constantly hear about hostile opinions towards Californians from just about every other state). I prefer smaller towns to larger cities, and I am looking for a safe place to live.

In just about everything I have read about Hobbs itself, people have had very little positive to say. I was only there for a short while to interview face to face, so I have no idea if it is any better or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Are you single with no kids? How long of a commute are you willing to tolerate?

Having worked in Hobbs for a couple of months last winter, I am now in the process of arranging a move to Hobbs. PM me and I'll be happy to answer questions and share the details of what I have found in my search for rentals and homes for sale in Hobbs and surrounding communities.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:12 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Being originally from Victorville about 40-50 miles north of where you are, NM doesn't seem to be all that intolerant of out-of-states, CA or otherwise.
Up here in Clovis, many of the dairy farmers were originally from Chino, Bakersfield, or Phoenix.
Then you've got the three air force bases in the state that definitely bring in many people from all corners of the country.
And then of course the added influx of those who came for the oil and gas thing.

So as far as feeling alienated goes, I'd say it would feel more like moving to Bakersfield/Fresno or something along those lines if you're choosing Hobbs or anywhere else in the eastern part of NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: