Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 PM

35 posts, read 83,926 times

Advertisements

I wonder if there will be gang retaliation at the Blues & Bike Festival in Silver City this weekend.

It's the first year they've changed the name and catered to bikers -- so I imagine many more will show up than usual. Plus, the beer tent . . .

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 04:41 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,202,258 times
There's any number of biker events throughout the country, particularly during the summer.

Besides, regardless of the number of dead and injured in Waco, there are so many still locked up there that any follow-up will take months to occur.

I'm sure the 99%'ers will make it a good time.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,189,117 times
Ruidoso has two large motorcycle rally events annually. The oldest and largest is held in September. The other just happened last weekend and is each May.

For quite a few years the fall event was dominated by a Christian biker group that did a great job of minimizing the problems that can be caused by the outlaw gangs. Because the local news keeps a lid on any accidents or other negative occurrences, it's hard for us local residents to get a handle on any unseemliness. No question that such events draw in the unsavory elements - hookers are one obvious element.

The main deterrent though has been the increased police presence - everything from State to county and village police working overtime hours etc. And they do a good job of keeping tabs on the outlaw gangs by singling them out for harassment, if nothing else. I suspect the Waco rally kept some of the unwanted from attending this year.

In summation: these events have come off year after year without any serious conflicts and in spite of many residents resenting the noise, rowdiness and intoxication that naturally ensues.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:24 PM

7 posts, read 7,989 times
Can anyone tell me when this festival happens every year, I would love to join this festival.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:15 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,485,295 times
I think it is this upcoming Memorial Day weekend, see 20th Silver City Blues & Bikes Festival - May 22 - 24, 2015 - Mimbres Region Arts Council | Mimbres Region Arts Council.

Joqua, you said it was last weekend, but that's not what the website says.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I think it is this upcoming Memorial Day weekend, see 20th Silver City Blues & Bikes Festival - May 22 - 24, 2015 - Mimbres Region Arts Council | Mimbres Region Arts Council.

Joqua, you said it was last weekend, but that's not what the website says.
I was referring to the TWO motorcycle rallies that occur in RUIDOSO annually - the "Aspencash" event was LAST WEEKEND (May 14 - 17, 2015), it's 18th year.

The "Golden Aspen" rally will have its 46th event September 16 - 20, 2015.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,485,295 times
Doh. Must have had a brain freeze, totally overlooked that you said Ruidoso, not Silver City.

Mea culpa.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Doh. Must have had a brain freeze, totally overlooked that you said Ruidoso, not Silver City.

Mea culpa.
No problem.

I was hoping by using as an example the long experience Ruidoso has with motorcycle rallies that I might reassure the OP on that score. I didn't mention yet that the organizers have long claimed that the September "Golden Aspen" event attracts 30,000 bikers each year. What they don't mention is that many of the merchants go on vacation during that weekend since bikers don't increase shop owner business and actually keep the regular weekend tourists away. Many full-time residents also like to get out of town that weekend to escape the constant "roar."

Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster View Post
I wonder if there will be gang retaliation at the Blues & Bike Festival in Silver City this weekend.
You wonder? Have they had problems in the past?

I wonder if you've been to any of the events...

Quote:
It's the first year they've changed the name and catered to bikers -- so I imagine many more will show up than usual. Plus, the beer tent . . .
They've always had bikers and they've always had beer tents...

Look at this video from the "Silver City NM, Blues Festival Silver City 2008". Hundreds if not thousands of motorcycles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj7KHma2Sbg

Quote:
What do you think?
We never rode our motorcycle to Silver City because it was an 11+ hour round trip from where we live...

If you are worried about bikers, then you might not want to live in New Mexico or reconsider the threats more realistically...

We have over 15 motorcycle events occurring in New Mexico this month...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-20-2015 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,619,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We have over 15 motorcycle events occurring in New Mexico this month...
The great majority of bikers are upper middle class people who like "dressing up" and going to events on their very expensive toys. I've always found them to be friendly and courteous. It isn't a Hell's Angels gathering! Actually I've been to one of those in Montana many years ago. A lot more hard core partying and violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico