Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 PM

17 posts, read 22,943 times

Advertisements

Specifically, I would like to move to somewhere in New Mexico where it does not snow. If any of the weather enthusiasts on the forum know about the area where it's least likely to snow, I'd be interested in knowing. By snow I'm focused more on the yearly median than average. I want a <50% chance (preferably <25%) of seeing any snow at all in a given winter, and "just a few flurries" or a "trace" as some people here say counts as "snow" for me. If I want to go skiing there will be mountains nearby, but I do not want snow down where I'm gonna live.

Yes, I know that in the Southwest where it doesn't snow in the winter it gets brutal in the summer, and I'm well-prepared for three-digit temperatures. I'm not so much focused on cold as I am on snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
The bootheel of the state (Lordsburg) gets the least snow, but even it gets snow on occasion.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:17 PM

Well if there is less than a 50% chance of snow (any snow, trace amounts included) falling in a given winter, then it might become my new home.
This site says that almost every year it has snowed in Lordsburg but then again it also says that Lordsburg gets more snow than some other places in NM. Any idea how accurate this is?: New Mexico

Old 06-04-2015, 12:21 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
You've referenced the Wester Region Climate Center in Reno. The information you have for Lordsburg is accurate. If your sole requirement for a place to live in New Mexico is to find a place where there is less than a 50 percent chance of any snow...including snow flurries, it can't be done. About the best you can do is go to the extreme southwest corner (bootheel). Rodeo only averages 2 inches per year, and Antelope Wells averages just about an inch.

If you want to live in the Southwest and don't have to be in New Mexico, the elevations below 2000 feet in southern Arizona would be your best bet.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times

Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American-o View Post
Specifically, I would like to move to somewhere in New Mexico where it does not snow. If any of the weather enthusiasts on the forum know about the area where it's least likely to snow, I'd be interested in knowing. By snow I'm focused more on the yearly median than average. I want a <50% chance (preferably <25%) of seeing any snow at all in a given winter, and "just a few flurries" or a "trace" as some people here say counts as "snow" for me. If I want to go skiing there will be mountains nearby, but I do not want snow down where I'm gonna live.

Yes, I know that in the Southwest where it doesn't snow in the winter it gets brutal in the summer, and I'm well-prepared for three-digit temperatures. I'm not so much focused on cold as I am on snow.
Where do you live now? Snow in NM - at least in ABQ - is no big deal whatsoever in terms of how it might impact your day. Snow here melts almost instantaneously - we had a freakish snowstorm here in late Feb and when it stopped snowing I measured a foot in my backyard in the AM - within 6 hours the roads and my driveway were completely clear - within one day only trace amounts were left, like on the north side of walls that got no sun. The combination of copious amounts of sunlight and dry air evaporates snow very quickly here. There is very little problem with ice, or black ice, accumulating on city streets - almost no melt/refreeze cycles found back east.

I lived for nearly a quarter century in the mid-Atlantic region, and snow there was a royal pain - as little as 4 inches could cripple the roads, ruin your day. So I understand a disdain for snow, but you need to understand it is "different" out here. Better.

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 06-04-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
You've referenced the Wester Region Climate Center in Reno. The information you have for Lordsburg is accurate. If your sole requirement for a place to live in New Mexico is to find a place where there is less than a 50 percent chance of any snow...including snow flurries, it can't be done. About the best you can do is go to the extreme southwest corner (bootheel). Rodeo only averages 2 inches per year, and Antelope Wells averages just about an inch.

If you want to live in the Southwest and don't have to be in New Mexico, the elevations below 2000 feet in southern Arizona would be your best bet.
I have my doubts about the data from the Western Regional Climate Center. Take this for example FAYWOOD, NEW MEXICO - Climate Summary, Faywood, NM. Go to "snowfall" and then "monthly totals".
You'll see a string of years with 5"+ of snowfall, and then a string of years with none whatsoever.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I was visiting Albuquerque in late April and I drove in a few inches of fresh slush at the top of the Sandia Range. Great fun in a rented car. It was gone two days later when we went back.

This website has lots of weather information on each town in NM. Just go to the home page and type in the town.

New Mexico weather is dependent on the Jet Stream location and sixe. That is dependent on the current and temperature patterns in the Pacific ocean. This spring NM has had much more rain and low temperatures than "normal". The posters that state that it will snow anywhere in NM sometime are correct. They are also correct about it not sticking around for very long. Indeed the bootheel has very little snow. It also has very little water, people or anything else but wind.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
I'm very curious about your experience with both snow and 3 digit temperatures. A little snow in NM simply isn't an issue. Winters are sunny and the snow doesn't last.

A complete absence of snow is not possible in NM. Neither are a lot of 3 digit temperatures. If you like the SW, then low elevation parts of southern AZ are your best bet. Even Tucson gets snow. I was there in Feb and 3 inches fell one night. It all melted before noon. But Phoenix and Yuma areas should be pretty snowless.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
I have my doubts about the data from the Western Regional Climate Center.
The map I referenced in my previous post is a product of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin. and the small areas of the SW shown with "zero" snowfall include both the Phoenix/Yuma and Mojave Desert areas.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico