Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times

Advertisements

One subject that I've not seen discussed in the New Mexico forum is that of established summer camps. It seems like a timely subject, considering it's mid-summer.

In another thread, a discussion had begun about a summer camp for boys and/or girls at the 8,000 ft. elevation in the Sacramento Mountains, very near to the tourist village of Cloudcroft. Today there are a number of summer camps operated by various organizations (churches, Boy/Girl Scouts, etc.) located in the general area of Cloudcroft/Weed, NM.

One of the best was known as Skyline Ranch - it no longer exists but many former campers still hold fond memories of their stays there. The site is accessed from Mountain Park via Hayne's Canyon Rd. Begun by Vernus Carey, director of the El Paso, TX YMCA and known locally as Mr. YMCA, he purchased the 160 acres in 1949. The site was in continuous use as a summer camp until ca. 1980.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
It's still in private hands but has changed significantly...The old chow hall is now a log home, all the old buildings are gone except the old barn.
Beautiful place.
I was last there when Jim (former owner) was still alive but in failing health. The huge dome building that they converted to their residence was a relatively new building. There was enough room under the dome for them to have two floors of rooms. Lots of books!

None of the original 1940s Carey-built buildings still existed.

When it was a regular children's camp, there were a series of cabins with bunk beds that housed six or eight campers apiece, one councilor per cabin. A large single-story general use building served as the dining hall and hobby/recreation room, much used on rainy days. There was a swimming pool and other amenities to keep kids occupied, plus horseback rides on horses rented in Cloudcroft and ridden down to the camp and back, meaning a long hike to get the horses and again to return them. Every night there was a bonfire circle with the usual songs and spooky stories. The camp was used all summer long, divided into 2-week durations for both boys and girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 AM

502 posts, read 1,379,615 times
If you take a look at "topo zone" it still shows the locations of all the old buildings.
Google earth shows the fall colors from 2013

Old 07-04-2015, 12:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I was not a kid in New Mexico, but I have had many friends wax fondly about their summers spent at Camp Shaver and Hummingbird Music Camp in the Jemez.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:21 AM

Default 103 New Mexico Summer Camps

Here's a great web site for researching the various types and locations of summer camps in New Mexico (and other states):

Quote:
103 Summer Camps in New Mexico, United States (NM)

From stark cliff sides to white sands, New Mexico boasts some of the most beautiful geography in the US—and some of the best activities. Revel in nature and national parks, stop by some entertaining museums, or jump into arts and performance.
Another interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Philmont Scout Ranch is the one of the largest youth camps in the world in land area. Between June 8 and August 22 around 23,000 Scouts and adult leaders backpack across the Ranch's extensive backcountry while over 1,130 seasonal staff personnel maintain the Ranch's summer operations.

It is a large, rugged, mountainous ranch, formerly the property of oil baron Waite Phillips and now that of the Boy Scouts of America. Located near the town of Cimarron, New Mexico, covering 140,177 acres (567.28 km2) of wilderness in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of the Rocky Mountains of northern New Mexico, the ranch is a National High Adventure Base in which crews of Scouts and Venturers take part in backpacking expeditions and other outdoor activities.

Philmont is also home to the Philmont Training Center and the Seton Museum. The Training Center is the primary location for BSA's national volunteer training programs. Philmont is also operated as a ranch, maintaining small herds of cattle, horses, burros and bison.

Last edited by joqua; 07-05-2015 at 07:46 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
Default Skyline - or as I knew it Carey's Ranch

I was a camper and counselor at Carey's Ranch in the 60's. Joan and Jim ran the ranch, Vernus taught us horses. It was as described - cabins held 6 -8 campers unless it was a double with a counselor and junior counselor. We learned horsemanship; how to be a good camper; as a counselor, leadership; and in general, how to be a good person. If you learned what was involved in being a good camper and all it entailed, you might get elected into Vaquero's. On a Friday night we would do a ceremony up off the Sunspot highway where we burned a cross and celebrated friendship. I am sure we must have confused people driving by. Most of us did church service on the hill across the valley - with wildflowers gathered at the foot of the cross and the Joan and the counselors doing the generic service. Don't think I ever felt closer to God. There was no swimming pool when I was there. You rode half a day - either trail ride or events in the arena and did riflery, archery golf, roping or crafts the other. We would have a 2 -4 day wilderness backpack each session. Half rode the horses out, the other half road the truck and set up camp. Then we reversed coming back. Saw some incredible parts of the Sacramento mountains. Vernus (Boo) forgot more about horses than most any one out there. They owned their own horses and would buy new ones in the winter. The counselors and senior riders worked them to see if they were suitable. Occasionally they weren't! We hauled more than one rider down to Alamogordo for injuries - we took our riding seriously. But it was some of the best times of my life. Lot of life lessons learned there. Lot of things we did, you couldn't get away with doing today and the kids today are much poorer for that. Wonderful memories.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I have known many people who went to Camp Blue Haven in Las Vegas,New Mexico.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincy View Post
I was a camper and counselor at Carey's Ranch in the 60's.
My childhood memories of Skyline Ranch - Carey's are from the late 1940s - early 1950s. I'm sure it changed a lot as it became better known and improved. I went there for a two week period that the El Paso YMCA took over, and it was all boys. Not sure if the YWCA had a similar program for girls, but seem to think so. I believe when Carey was otherwise in charge of the camp, that it was likely co-ed.

The camp owned no horses. A group would leave camp early in the morning, hike up to rental stables at Cloudcroft, with a guide/counselor, and ride the horses back to the camp. Another group would ride them back in the afternoon and then walk back to camp. I recall one time when the returning group became lost and were out in the woods overnight.

The swimming pool was next to the archery range with hay bales backing up the targets. One day cows began destroying the hay bales and several of us ran to chase them away. I ran into a length of barbed wire that had been strung between two poolside trees to hang wet towels on. I tore a deep gash above my left eye which spurted blood all the way to the nurse's station! While I probably should have had stitches, she managed with "butterfly" bandages. The scar remained for many years but is no longer visible now.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
Default Carey's Camp in Cloudcroft, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincy View Post
I was a camper and counselor at Carey's Ranch in the 60's. Joan and Jim ran the ranch, Vernus taught us horses. It was as described - cabins held 6 -8 campers unless it was a double with a counselor and junior counselor. We learned horsemanship; how to be a good camper; as a counselor, leadership; and in general, how to be a good person. If you learned what was involved in being a good camper and all it entailed, you might get elected into Vaquero's. On a Friday night we would do a ceremony up off the Sunspot highway where we burned a cross and celebrated friendship. I am sure we must have confused people driving by. Most of us did church service on the hill across the valley - with wildflowers gathered at the foot of the cross and the Joan and the counselors doing the generic service. Don't think I ever felt closer to God. There was no swimming pool when I was there. You rode half a day - either trail ride or events in the arena and did riflery, archery golf, roping or crafts the other. We would have a 2 -4 day wilderness backpack each session. Half rode the horses out, the other half road the truck and set up camp. Then we reversed coming back. Saw some incredible parts of the Sacramento mountains. Vernus (Boo) forgot more about horses than most any one out there. They owned their own horses and would buy new ones in the winter. The counselors and senior riders worked them to see if they were suitable. Occasionally they weren't! We hauled more than one rider down to Alamogordo for injuries - we took our riding seriously. But it was some of the best times of my life. Lot of life lessons learned there. Lot of things we did, you couldn't get away with doing today and the kids today are much poorer for that. Wonderful memories.
I was also a camper at Carey's for at least a couple of years in the early 60's. Thanks to Tincy for the great and accurate report. I loved the 3-4 day horseback riding camping trips the most, and their campfires. Maybe we knew each other! The owners then were Jim and Joan Carey Goodman, he was principal of my grade school, Marion Manor in the Lower Valley of El Paso. Wonderful family and I was honored to be their baby sitter. Great memories!

Old 07-12-2017, 01:36 PM

356 posts, read 502,436 times
I got to do a 50-miler at Philmont in 1968, when I was 15. I will never forget that experience. I have been back twice as an adult, and make it a point to visit Ernest Thompson Seton Museum when I am there.
William Baden Powell
Eagle Scout

Old 06-28-2019, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,276 times
joqua,

I read your post about Skyline then started a new thread. I should have replied to your posting. Below is the thread I started.

My father was stationed at Ft. Bliss, Texas from 1950 to 1953. In 1951 or 1952, I attended the El Paso YMCA Boys Camp near Cloudcroft, NM. The YMCA had a program where boys could sell bags of shelled peanuts (50 cents for a large bag) and earn their way to the camp. I did this and earned my way. The camp may have been called Skyline Ranch Boys Camp.

I'm looking for information on the camp and perhaps photographs or others who may have earned their way with this program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico