Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 AM

48 posts, read 223,747 times

Advertisements

Hi,can anyone give me information on sand storms in the Deming new mexico area.when or what time of year do sand storms hit. just how bad are they.are the storms only around the I-10 hwy?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM

13 posts, read 35,845 times
Hi Tomcat,
1Hot Tamale here (meaning I love tamales). Today, its blowing like crazy, its dusty, gusty awful. I haven't heard if its bad enough to close that part of I10, but usually that will happen during the spring, if its dusty enough. The speed limit on that stretch is 75 mph, so can you imagine driving thru there with low or no visibility? Closure for the same reason can also occur from Mesquite to Anthony (I10) right before the Texas state line. We're in the sand here, plus with all the development going on its also adding to that problem. Not that I'm old enough to remember , but I've seen a few times get so bad that it looks like some pictures I've seen from the dustbowl years.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:34 PM

105 posts, read 147,217 times
Ive been in several sand storms - one i watched approaching from my roof in el paso - it was a large cloud - soon we were covered. The worst though was in Arizona. It was so thick the place became dark and there was no way I could see the road. The particles attached to me totally and it appeared that my hair was gray. I was buried.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 PM

265 posts, read 873,738 times
Default Both New Mexico and Arizona experience

problems with high winds and sandstorms. I did find info that says during the late autumn, winter, and particularly the early spring months of March and April residents should be alert for possible high winds and sandstorms. They can be especially severe on I-10 between El Paso and Las Cruces and also near Deming. It is also possible to experience dust storms during the summer when dry thunderstorms hit and the high winds cause a problem.

Jim

Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Tomcat, really anywhere near White Sands will have sandstorms not just on I-10. It is the main Interstate that gets hit with the sandstorms. Fish2026 is right about the worst sandstorms in Arizona. I have lived in both Arizona and NM and Phoenix gets some so bad that you literally can't see in front of you and they have major car wrecks when it hits. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often. In NM, you will get the blowing sand mostly during the spring.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:05 PM

15 posts, read 150,986 times
Default New Mexico is "sandstorm" country!

Yep, there are plenty of "sandstorms", particularly in the spring. One of the most notable areas is between Deming and LORDSBURG actually, although you can have the effects of them anywhere. I've lived in New Mexico all of my 52 years and if I could change ONE thing about the weather in NM, it would be the massive spring sandstorms!

Bob

Old 11-16-2006, 04:42 PM

48 posts, read 223,747 times
Default info on sand storms

Thank you everyone for the info on sand storms it has been very helpfull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico