Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 PM

96 posts, read 410,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
My Preference is the East Mountain area near Albuquerque and Santa Fe plus you have Access to the whole State and the East Mountains area has friendly people and lots of Activities in the Summer and Fall. Remember from the Center of N.M. to the Northern Part is Cold Weather Country and from the Central part south is warm weather with the Exception of Ruidoso and Cloudcroft. el pintada kid
We also thought the East Mountain area was great, but the locals in Abq says it gets too much snow. Since you seem familiar with EM, how would you classify the Ceder Crest area weatherwise? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:53 AM

946 posts, read 3,271,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
We also thought the East Mountain area was great, but the locals in Abq says it gets too much snow. Since you seem familiar with EM, how would you classify the Ceder Crest area weatherwise? Thanks.

In New Mexico, altitude not latitude drives weather. At 6500 feet you will get some snow. Places at 7,000 feet get about 17 inches for the annual average (Santa Fe to the north) or more (Ruidoso to the south). I am at 6,000 feet and get about 10 annually -- but occasionally mother nature will surprise you.

Whether that is too much snow or trivial depends upon your attitude. Ruidoso is near skiing -- I assume that the people there appreciate the snow. But if you are coming here because you hate snow, then seek a lower altitude.

If you are from the east, you will be surprised at how quickly the snow disappears -- the sun at high altitudes and with clean air, clears roads, driveway, etc., quickly -- unless they are in a heavy shade.

This site maintains data and photos on cities. Cedar Crest, New Mexico (NM) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Cedar Crest is small and is not going to provide all the basic services. Expect to spend some time in the car. ABQ is pretty close, though, and it's the biggest city in NM by far.

One thing to think about -- Cedar Crest is close to ABQ -- a large (for NM) and growing city. ABQ will continue to grow and if there is available land in Cedar Crest for more people to move in, then they will. And Cedar Crest will change.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,242,877 times
You are absolutely right. Any small town close to a big one will eventually be swallowed up by it, or at least changed almost beyond recognition. People who move into a place like that and expect it to always be like it was when they arrived are fooling themselves. It will eventually be a suburb or bedroom community. It probably already is the latter, to some extent, being within commuting distance.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:08 AM

39 posts, read 151,115 times
Northern NM is where I prefer but housing and affordability an issue. Each town is different in some way. It kind of depends where you are able to get work. Albuquerque is doing well fo employment opportunities and reasonable housing, better in fact than most of the country but crime is a little high is some sections. In Las Vegas, Raton, Toas, housing is getting steep and many jobs not keeping up with expenses. If you want to live off the grid there are intentional communities and opportunities especially around Taos. You will find that sort of thing a little off the grid south and west of las Vegas and east and outside of Rio Rancho but if you are getting towards Gallup you are talking gang land beware. I always have something bad happen on the south side of Albuquerque. I quess Portales is booming because of the air force base so goodluck finding housing there. I don't know so much southern places but places like Roswell. Truth and Consequences have been listed as good places to retire. I wouldn't recommend Farmington or Gallup for anything unless you are a rich Texan or Palistenian in the Indian Jewlry business or a bar owner. There are still open uranium trailings toward the western border of NM. I stick to the mts as much as possible. I love the climate and earth and sky NM has to offer. There are many charming little villages off the beaten path, hotsprings, places of art. I think Santa Fe and albuquerque have the most to offer socially and purhaps economically. Those of us that live elsewhere seem to spend alot of time commutting to these locations for medical, shopping and social happenings. roswell has pretty reasonable rent and growing economy. I would be wary of places that are going down in population like Las Vegas or Raton.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,242,877 times
My favorite climate is found at high elevations in southern NM. High Rolls and Timberon are just about perfect in my book (about 80 F for average summer highs and about 20 F for average winter lows). It snows some, but it doesn't stick around for long, and the summers don't fry you. High Rolls has the added advantage of easy access to Alamogordo for shopping and medical care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico