Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 05:25 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,013,919 times

Advertisements

Antone planning on moving to oulining areas: that is away from the "normal" service areas of electic, tele, water; Please be sure that you thourghly check out what is avaliable and the COSTS associated with getting it.

We moved to Fence Lake due to "super" low price" of land.
Now we are somewhat establised (out building and house under construction) we are finding that what we were told is not true, and the costs to get what we need: (tele, water) have become a REAL problem.
Well cost $28,000--but little water 5gpm and dwindles down to 0 in 20 min.
NO PHONE SERVICE unless we PAY $9000.00 or more from CENTURY TELE.
and now they say they cannot dig a line without 2 permits. One from the county an one from an adjucent land owner (in NY for a few feet).
Try and find the person to talk to to get them?????pass off.
Absolutly NO CELL SERVICE...We are looking at a Bag Phone, but, some companies have told me today "cingular" that the bag phone technology is not available..(I told them to check it out as it is available in digital) fell on deaf ignorant ears.

BE sure you have the answers before you buy any land in NM that is not already established and connected to utilities.

Cheap land here is like Florida..GReat view, BUT...
HW....Happy trails,

obtw...think what the pioneers have had to overcome.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 06:17 PM

261 posts, read 936,997 times
I'm curious. Did you use a Realtor to buy your property?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 PM

946 posts, read 3,268,587 times
This is a very interesting story. Maybe you should write a book. In the meantime please keep us up to date.

Three suggestions maybe:

1. You can easily and cheaply buy an external antenna for your home andor your car. However, I bought an antenna for my car when in Vermont and it did nothing. Still, I bought the cheapest. Maybe you could do better.

2. I don't think there is anything that would prevent you from building your own antenna and put it up on your roof. That might give you reception in your house.

The draw back of both one and two is that you have to be physically attached.

3. When I was looking into this several years ago, I THINK that I saw relays that you placed up high in your house and gave you a better signal without being physically attached. At the time, I didn't try it because of the cost -- about $300. But that seems cheap in comparison to $10K.

Now I looked again to find a relay on-line, but no luck. Several sites do sell external antennas, but I have no way of evaluating these sites, so I am not recommending any.

good luck

Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Default Site

Here's a site that has everything -- antenna and relays (they call them repeaters) for both home and car.

Are they any good? Will they work where you are? Will the company take them back and refund your money if they don't work? I don't know.

Sometimes you can find something like this from a company like Best Buy and they will refund your money.

good luck

Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
Hunter World: Sorry about the mess you're in. The water problem sounds most serious.

I have thought quite a bit about what the pioneers had to go through. First they had to get there. But I doubt that phone service was much of a problem for them. It seems to me that a big antenna (perhaps a Yagi) would take care of it for you. Remember, the higher you can get it the better, since it'll be line of sight.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
The first thing I will check before I buy anyplace in NM is the water supply. Next would be power and communications. You can, given the sunshine in NM, always provide your own power You might require a satellite phone for communication and computer service.

There are reasons cheap land in the way out boonies is cheap.

PM me for suggestions on long term electrical supplies.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,013,919 times
Default Re the situation

Thanks for the replies. Tried the antenna thing and will still look into it further.
Going to try the Bag Phone(digital) on a trial.
Water is wierd, some folks about a mile away have all they need and a lot more, others having to go from 600 down....Seems the Zuni's are pumping a lot of water out to AZ for the power plants.

Going to look into Wind Power if I can get the same tax advantage as solar.
Always some wind and it will work at night if needed.

stay tuned,
Happy trails,
HW

Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 AM

59 posts, read 277,177 times
Hunter, I am trying to think how you could find out the name of the person whose permission you need to dig the trench -- I used to do this for a developer many years ago, I would look at microfiche and locate the plat and cross-ref the owner -- I can't recall where the microfiche came from, was it the taxation department? This is where a good realtor can come in, I bet he or she would know how to find the owner.

I wish you a lot of luck in your adventure.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM

Yes, I wish you the best of luck also.

Somewhere on line -- sorry I didn't bookmark it -- is a map showing where wind power is most feasible in New Mexico. It might be a start. But the economic calculus might be different for you since the conventional string a wire approach seems to be out.

Re the property owner. The county has got to mail him/her a property tax bill, so they might be your best bet. Even if it is a PO Box, you could at least write.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,093,999 times
Devin Bent regretted:

> Somewhere on line -- sorry I didn't bookmark it -- is a map showing where wind power is most feasible in New Mexico.

http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/72138.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: