Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 11:31 PM

1,098 posts, read 910,327 times

Advertisements

I live in Texas and I'm thinking about heading to the park over Thanksgiving weekend. My main concern is that some trails and roads in the higher elevations may be closed this late in the season. 8,000-10,000 ft is pretty high and I would expect winter weather to be the norm. I've looked at the weather forecast for Cloudcroft, and It doesn't look bad for this weekend (highs in the mid 30's and dry). It's a 9 hour drive and my main concern is driving all the way out there and not being able to find a trail in the mountains. My backup plan is Big Bend but I'd rather explore somewhere new if possible.

At first glance, I'd probably have the most luck reserving an affordable hotel room in Alamogordo, so I'm not sure If I'll make it up to Ruidoso. Can anyone give me some advice on great day hikes in the Cloudcroft area? (no more than 6 to 9 miles.) I might be willing to drive a little further for an awesome trail.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll take 2 days for driving, 2 days for hiking in the mountains and 1 day for a short hike in the desert and the white sands.

I looked at a few trail websites but they weren't much help. I did find that several campgrounds close in September. Does that mean a lot of roads and trails will also be closed?

Any advice is more than welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 08:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
There is a wide variety of hiking options in the area. The general rule of thumb, as you have already stated: the higher the elevation, the more chances of adverse conditions. Even though there may not be significant snowfall in the forested areas, trails can stay very muddy this time of year - especially in those areas that don't see much sunshine during the day (north slopes, heavy tree shaded, etc.).

So far, as of this weekend before T'giving, there has been very little snowfall below about 9,000 ft. - which is the elevation at Cloudcroft. You can get a feel for what to expect by looking at the three web cams that give current photos. Particularly the web cam showing highway 82:

http://cloudcroftwebcam.com/

If staying in Alamogordo, there are four particular areas of virtually assured excellent day hiking. This time of year happens to be the best time to hike these areas since summer temps can make hiking less fun. My preferences are indicated by *:

* Three Rivers Campground and area trails.

Oliver Lee State Park/campground and trail system.

* Aguirre Springs campground and trail system.

And one more that has a limited amount of trails due to the very rugged and dangerous lava.

Valley of Fires campground and nature trails.

The first three are most accessible from Alamogordo, the Valley of Fires is an hour drive to Carrizozo.

Last edited by joqua; 11-21-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
There is a wide variety of hiking options in the area. The general rule of thumb, as you have already stated: the higher the elevation, the more chances of adverse conditions. Even though there may not be significant snowfall in the forested areas, trails can stay very muddy this time of year - especially in those areas that don't see much sunshine during the day (north slopes, heavy tree shaded, etc.).

So far, as of this weekend before T'giving, there has been very little snowfall below about 9,000 ft. - which is the elevation at Cloudcroft. You can get a feel for what to expect by looking at the three web cams that give current photos. Particularly the web cam showing highway 82:

http://cloudcroftwebcam.com/

If staying in Alamogordo, there are four particular areas of virtually assured excellent day hiking. This time of year happens to be the best time to hike these areas since summer temps can make hiking less fun. My preferences are indicated by *:

* Three Rivers Campground and area trails.

Oliver Lee State Park/campground and trail system.

* Aguirre Springs campground and trail system.

And one more that has a limited amount of trails due to the very rugged and dangerous lava.

Valley of Fires campground and nature trails.

The first three are most accessible from Alamogordo, the Valley of Fires is an hour drive to Carrizozo.

I took a look at Three Rivers Campground and there's a lot of trails in the area. I really like climbing mountains and It looks like I could get up to 9,000 ft in a matter of 3-4 miles via the Dry Canyon Trail or Three Points trail.

Are there any hikes in the Ski Run Road area that would be worth the drive? I love the high elevations. I heard that the area was affected by fires and isn't what it used to be?

I really like the pictures of Aguirre Springs, I could see myself spending a day there.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Are there any hikes in the Ski Run Road area that would be worth the drive? I love the high elevations. I heard that the area was affected by fires and isn't what it used to be?
There are trails all through the National Forest. Trail maps are available at the various Lincoln Natl. Forest offices - I presume that includes the main office in Alamogordo. Ski run road is an all-weather road of course. Other roads may or may not be passable without 4-wheel drive. Check with the Forest Service on trails that may still be closed in the burned over areas where standing dead trees pose a danger to hikers.

That having been said, whether or not trails are dry or snow free enough to make hiking enjoyable is problematic in the winter months. Long dry spells are conducive to drier trails. If one doesn't mind walking in muddy conditions, then go for it.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:32 PM

The forecast changed. Now they're calling for 5 to 8 inches of snow on Saturday.

Right now it's looking like I'm not going.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 AM

The majority of tourists who visit the Ruidoso/Cloudcroft area this time of year are HOPING for a good snow experience. Not many come here to hike - or even to snowshoe for that matter. And weather this time of year can be very changeable, if not totally unpredictable.

As for the coming weekend, it is indeed looking good for some form of precipitation at all elevations. There is finally a good chance of seeing the development of a southern jet stream, which is one trait of the El Niño phase.

Yesterday I drove to the ski area just to have something to do, and it was 54F at the parking lot (~10,000 ft.) according to my car's thermometer. That was following an early morning low of 17F at my house (7,000 ft. elevation).

Old 11-25-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The majority of tourists who visit the Ruidoso/Cloudcroft area this time of year are HOPING for a good snow experience. Not many come here to hike - or even to snowshoe for that matter. And weather this time of year can be very changeable, if not totally unpredictable.

As for the coming weekend, it is indeed looking good for some form of precipitation at all elevations. There is finally a good chance of seeing the development of a southern jet stream, which is one trait of the El Niño phase.

Yesterday I drove to the ski area just to have something to do, and it was 54F at the parking lot (~10,000 ft.) according to my car's thermometer. That was following an early morning low of 17F at my house (7,000 ft. elevation).
Now it's looking like rain and some ice on Friday lingering into Saturday which doesn't sound fun. I backed out of the trip. I'm not going to drive 10 hours for one of my days to be a complete washout.

Now that you bring it up, snowshoeing sounds amazing. I'll have to keep that open as an option for my Christmas vacation. I might have to go up to Santa Fe..It'd be a very very long drive. 12+ hours with stops

Old 11-26-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Now it's looking like rain and some ice on Friday lingering into Saturday...
Yep! It began raining lightly with the wind blowing gustily before midnight last night (Wed-Thur). It's going to be one of the few T'giving days I remember when the weather wasn't Indian summerish.

Ski area (Ski Apache) "officially" opens today with only man-made snow on the beginner slopes but it's even raining there as I type this with temps in the 40s. Should make for a slushy experience for those silly enough to pay the price to ski/snowboard there today. Web cam shows lifts are running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico