Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 02:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,540,182 times

Advertisements

MY wife is a nurse in the Emergency Room at Lincoln General Hospital in Ruidoso. The skiing seems especially good this year! People are out at all speeds and even the nearby trees are showing wear and tear! So go -- Break a leg.. Susan has a super reputation for fixing people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
I just posted a reply to the same OP's thread in the Austin (TX) forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxgirl68
I'd love to hear from others about Ruidoso and Ski Apache!

Not only have I lived full time in Ruidoso for 19 years, I first learned to ski at Ski Apache in the early 1970s. It's been much improved over the years with more skiable terrain added, along with new lifts, and most recently an upgrade of the "enclosed" gondola from 4-man cars to 8-man.

Quote:
MESCALERO, N.M. (Jan. 18, 2013) –The first passenger gondola in North America has officially retired from service. The historic, four-passenger gondola was first hung in 1962 and was taken down just months ago to be replaced by a brand new, high-speed, Dopplemayr gondola at Ski Apache, the United States’ southernmost ski resort. The new gondola, the Apache Arrow, maintains its title as the only gondola in the state of New Mexico and is part of $15 million in improvements at the ski resort owned by the Mescalero Apache Tribe and located in Mescalero, N.M.

The Apache Arrow climbs quickly to 11,500 feet, carrying eight passengers to the top of Ski Apache overlooking miles of surrounding forest and mountain landscape, nearly twice as fast as its record-setting predecessor. In addition, two new lifts, one Dopplemayr triple and one quad, give the resort the highest lift capacity of any resort in the state, with 5,600 skiers and boarders carried up the mountain each hour. The significant investment in infrastructure by the Mescalero Apache Tribe at Ski Apache is among the top five in North America for the 2012-13 season.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I'd be happy to try and answer any specific questions about either Ruidoso or the ski area.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:22 AM

The internet Trip Advisor web site has an article on the least expensive winter vacation sites in the west, including Hawaii. For the state of New Mexico:

Quote:
AVG Cost: Weeklong Stay

"AVG Cost: Weeklong Stay” reflects the average cost of a weeklong stay in a two-bedroom property in that destination, between Dec 1, 2015 – February 29, 2016.

1. Ruidoso: $1,225
2. Red River: $1,345
3. Angel Fire: $1,572
4. Santa Fe: $1,597
5. Taos: $1,751

Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,703,945 times
Angel Fire would be a perfect family (young ones) ski destination.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 PM

25 posts, read 32,017 times
Testing

Old 02-20-2016, 01:06 PM

25 posts, read 32,017 times
Yay, it works now!

Thank you for all the comments and help. After comparing prices and "feel" based on websites and reviews, I decided to book the Hotel Ruidoso. I like that it's walking distance to restaurants and we won't be stuck in a resort. My only concern now is just the drive to and from the slopes. I wish there were other ski in/ski out resorts other than Angel Fire nearby. Any tips or reassurance would be appreciated. Ruidoso seems super-friendly and laid back, again at least according to websites and reviews.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:26 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,997 times
It will take awhile (43 minutes according to google): https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hote...3!1m0?hl=en-US

But it isn't a bad drive: Beautiful Drive - Review of Ski Apache, Ruidoso, NM - TripAdvisor

I don't know if the snow will be that great with all the warm weather we've been having, but you should find plenty to do here.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxgirl68 View Post
My only concern now is just the drive to and from the slopes.
If you're renting your equipment, the ski shop you rent from will have information on alternative ways to get to and from the ski area. Shuttle bus services used to be available, but I'm not current on transportation now. As long as there hasn't been recent snowfall - and there has been none for a couple of weeks or more now - it's a safe drive as long as the driver pays attention to the road and isn't sight seeing - or worse yet, texting!

Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 PM

6,620 posts, read 7,231,935 times
How is Taos ski area? Is it fun after hours? A fun mountain for three days with let's say no new snow? I have a group ski/boarding trip in mid March and trying to figure out if I want to still go. Weather always makes or breaks ski trips, just wanted to gets insiders info on the area. Are there any type of shuttles running all day? We're renting a condo in the valley a few miles outside the ski resort area, do shuttles run up and down the valley all day or night?

Old 02-25-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
How is Taos ski area? Are there any type of shuttles running all day?
You're best bet is to call the ski area directly for current information. Here is what their web site has to offer:
Quote:
A daily shuttle runs between the airports and the slopes year round. Reservations are required; call our Central Reservations department at 575.776.2291 x2384, or 800.776.1111 or email us at shuttle@skitaos.com for more information.
http://www.skitaos.org/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico