Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 10:17 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times

Advertisements

I see so many nice acreage parcels or pretty farms and instead of houses they have mobiles -some not so nice? They probably aren't poor with all that land.

My guesses are maybe the tax rate is low on mobiles or maybe only ranch hands live there but they are just guesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 07:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
It is just guessing which others have said... why does property in rural NM have so much junk in the yards?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Whether or not a person can afford having a house built, mobile and other types of "manufactured" homes are the fastest, cheapest and easiest way to have a livable home in rural areas where even finding a reliable builder is a problem. To say nothing of the extra costs/problems caused by being in a more remote location.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:43 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Possibly a farm with all that beautiful irrigated land may be owned by a farmer with a lot of wealth but not very much spare cash. Joqua said it well.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
New Mexico ranks 2nd in the country for per-capita Mobile Home ownership, after South Carolina.

Possible reasons landowners for some reason prefer mobile homes here-

New Mexico, with a few exceptions, is a crappy state to set up a farming operation (always has been), which is why our land prices have historically been lowest in the lower 48. Water availability is low (either from the air, wells, or streams), and soils are alkaline and paper-thin. So no reason to ever have built a farmhouse or barn for much of the state.

Although we've had logging and sawmill operations in the state, most of the places you'd want to build a mobile home were near none of that. It was faster, cheaper, and more lasting to build an entire trailer and haul it across NM's excellent road network.

Between sand, granite, or hard volcanic rock with no topsoil, much of the state makes a traditional slab foundation far more expensive. Mobile homes get around that problem.

Mobile home parks are among the least efficient ($) uses of urban and suburban land, but land here has stayed relatively cheap. I can remember driving across Phoenix and Mesa in the late 90's and seeing an ocean of trailer parks. Those trailer parks are now all gone, replaced by apartment communities.

The Navajo reservation has a huge population, the culture values personal isolation rather than clustering together in dense cities, and the tribal government has some unorthodox approaches to land ownership (the tribe owns the land, so members of the tribe can't own it to the exclusion of others). No land ownership, no home loans. Trailers, on the other hand, can be removed and are thus the go-to option for people living on the rez.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Possibly a farm with all that beautiful irrigated land may be owned by a farmer with a lot of wealth but not very much spare cash.
I know of NUMEROUS farmers who have given up on the drudgery of farming in favor of selling off their land for housing development - and the highest density use seems to be trailer parks. With trailer parks, the farmer has monthly rental income without all the hassle of worrying about crop failures, etc. That also leaves open the option of eventually subdividing and selling off the land piece meal.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Thanks everyone. I just don't know. Maybe people just love their crops so much they don't care about their house. Some are in bad shape. Maybe the workers live there and owners somewhere else.

I'm talking about Southern NM -don't know about the rest of the state. I hope the South is good for Pistachios although I don't know how profitable they are.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Thanks everyone. I just don't know. Maybe people just love their crops so much they don't care about their house. Some are in bad shape. Maybe the workers live there and owners somewhere else.

I'm talking about Southern NM -don't know about the rest of the state. I hope the South is good for Pistachios although I don't know how profitable they are.
Lots of pistachios grown in Alamogordo. I suggest that anyone visiting should take the tour at Eagle Ranch.
Fun and informative:

Eagle Ranch Pistachio Groves Tour in Alamogordo, New Mexico

Pecans are more common in/around Las Cruces.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:35 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
I lived at the Tinsley Trailer Court in Alamogordo in from 1973 to 1975. I had all these homeless cats living outside. I counted up to 32. Sometimes I wish I had stayed there and until all the cats had died. Now I see they got that Kitty City in Alamogordo.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:42 PM

Rich with a poor Cabeza. This forum has a topic - and its not for your mental health issues. You can start a new thread for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico