Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 07:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,853,384 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

If you haven't seen me around in the other forums, a little bit of background on me... I'm a college student currently, a woman, and I'm going to graduate soon. As you can see by my location I'm not too far away. I do like living in the Southwest, but the heat in Arizona is just too much. I think New Mexico would provide me with all the things I love about where I live now, but cooler weather. So I am considering looking into New Mexico for relocation, specifically Northern New Mexico since I am about 98% sure Southern New Mexico would be just like here.

I was wondering what the general economy of New Mexico is and how it's doing. Is it competitive there for college graduates or people in general for employment? What are the main industries? Major employers? What do you think New Mexico will be like in the future (economically)?

My prospective field will be a lot of "out-in-the-field" work and some office work as well. It spreads across a variety of industries... Agricultural, mining, manufacturing, energy, water, R&D, and construction are the main ones that I see job postings for in general. So far I'm not specialized to any industry so I can go either way. Really any industry that has workers who are more likely to get injured on the job there would be a position for me, so it usually ties to blue collar rather than white collar work. If you have any knowledge on these industries in New Mexico specifically, I would love to hear about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:14 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,707,733 times
The biggest industries in New Mexico are Government, Healthcare and Petroleum. Many of the jobs are highly technical or specialized. Only Healthcare is currently a growth industry. Government may pick up if a Republican is elected President (more defense spending). Petroleum is shedding jobs with oil + natural gas prices going down.

For fieldwork combined with office work, you might look into the BLM or state forestry or energy, minerals & natural resources.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,202,258 times
I'd also consider southern NM to be a substantial change in terms of heat from even Tucson.

Las Cruces gets colder winters, more snow, and will have lower year-round temperatures, though the difference is not as stark as with northern NM.

May also consider in your field Copper country, which includes parts of Arizona that are cooler than Tucson. Copper is a boom-and-bust industry but seems to be doing pretty well these days.

NM's extractive industries include coal (NW side of the state), oil & gas (both NW and SE sides of the state), potash (SE side), copper (SW side but all but gone), and, believe it or not, CO2 (NE, NW, SE sides of the state).

Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
The biggest industries in New Mexico are Government, Healthcare and Petroleum. Many of the jobs are highly technical or specialized. Only Healthcare is currently a growth industry. Government may pick up if a Republican is elected President (more defense spending). Petroleum is shedding jobs with oil + natural gas prices going down.

For fieldwork combined with office work, you might look into the BLM or state forestry or energy, minerals & natural resources.
Thank you for the information!

Healthcare actually does employ in my field but it's generally one position per hospital (and usually only hospitals, not clinics). I haven't really seen any positions though for healthcare on job websites but sometimes they show up. So I try not to rely on looking at health care, even though "health" is technically in the field's name. Government does as well in regulatory positions, but the pay appears dismal from what I've seen. And it's even more dismal pay in Arizona (since government jobs post salary ranges), so I'm looking for private sector mostly.

Energy and natural resources are huge for my field. Not sure about BLM or forestry I would have to look at it, but I will look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I'd also consider southern NM to be a substantial change in terms of heat from even Tucson.

Las Cruces gets colder winters, more snow, and will have lower year-round temperatures, though the difference is not as stark as with northern NM.

May also consider in your field Copper country, which includes parts of Arizona that are cooler than Tucson. Copper is a boom-and-bust industry but seems to be doing pretty well these days.

NM's extractive industries include coal (NW side of the state), oil & gas (both NW and SE sides of the state), potash (SE side), copper (SW side but all but gone), and, believe it or not, CO2 (NE, NW, SE sides of the state).
Does it? I guess I would have to look into Las Cruces, honestly I haven't really researched it. I really enjoy cold weather and that's why I was looking at ABQ.

Yes copper is pretty good here. One of the 5 C's of Arizona (five industries of the state). Lots of mining done in the Eastern half in general, though some is on the Western side. Some of it is near Prescott, Payson, and Flagstaff which are yes much cooler areas. Jobs in these areas though are very hard to come by (at least above minimum wage jobs), and COL is outrageous. These places are also very small and I'd prefer a larger city to live in. Not that they are not options for me as I will look there, but I'm not labelling them as viable options for employment. I find more jobs in the small towns of Southeastern Arizona, like Benson and Bisbee, than I do up there.

Thank you for your information! I will look at these industries and see what they are up to over there!

I do believe New Mexico will be a good fit for me regardless. I love living here except it's too hot for me to enjoy. I would like to find a place that doesn't reliably reach triple digits, especially from April-September give or take. It would be even better if it didn't reach even the 90s but I am flexible on that.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:45 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post

Government does as well in regulatory positions, but the pay appears dismal from what I've seen.

And it's even more dismal pay in Arizona (since government jobs post salary ranges), so I'm looking for private sector mostly.
You might seriously look at Federal positions... Not just pay, but benefits also.. USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

Old 02-23-2016, 05:34 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,539,568 times
Hard ta beat Federal jobs for benefits. Boeing benefits were excellent and their pay was good but not excellent. And the last time I looked one can qualify for pension benefits by "vesting" there - by working 10 years or more. I recall my 20 years at Boeing in Everett, WA, with fondness. I recall paying nothing for dental benefits - I had what they call their "Prepaid Provider" insurance. Costs nothing out of your check per month and it's based on the notion that preventive medicine works. I blew that theory straight outta the water. The Office Manager of the dentist's office I went to in Mukilteo, WA, told me she complained to Boeing and my insurance so long and so hard that they started making us pay for our dental benefits.

Before I left in 2003 it was about $150 for a standard crown that the patient had ta pay.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:47 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,537,156 times
Not all of Southern NM is hot-- Ruidoso and Cloudcroft are cool.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You might seriously look at Federal positions... Not just pay, but benefits also.. USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site
Federal positions are hard to get. I see jobs for the Department of Labor a lot, but I am not sure if I am qualified just yet. I will probably have an easier time with private sector considering I have no "real" job experience yet, besides a couple internships in an unrelated area.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,884,716 times
Quote:
Federal positions are hard to get.
My wife started at the bottom as a part time employee. On day one she was told she would be working 60 hour weeks with of course overtime pay.

Quote:
but I am not sure if I am qualified just yet
Good delay tactic. Now is the time to try out...

Quote:
will probably have an easier time with private sector considering I have no "real" job experience yet
My wife had zero experience.

Her last assignment was a transfer from Germantown, MD to Albuquerque, NM, for a promotion and a paid move...

Five locations (which she asked for), various prommotions, learned various job skills, $40,000+ paid towards her college, $25,000 cash to take an early retirement.

But I fully understand some people's reluctance to work for the Government.

Good luck to you...

Old 02-24-2016, 08:52 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,071,529 times
Quote:
Federal positions are hard to get. I see jobs for the Department of Labor a lot, but I am not sure if I am qualified just yet. I will probably have an easier time with private sector considering I have no "real" job experience yet, besides a couple internships in an unrelated area.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't expect that perfect job right out of the gates of college. When I graduated from College in 1996, I moved to NM and started in IT work at, IIRC, $8 per hour. Since, then I have worked hard, worked for 4 companies and have been promoted a dozen times. I am currently a Lead Software analyst for one of the states largest employers and the top of the pay scale. Work, work...and keep on moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico