Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which plate is best?
The New Sunset-Balloon Plate 17 26.98%
The Old Yellow Zia Plate 42 66.67%
Who cares, whatever the MVD Gives me!!!!! 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Okay, here goes Towanda, complaining to the new moderator.

I was just wondering if this thread might not get more votes if were moved to the New Mexico forum and not confined on the ABQ forum since it may attract more members (and more votes) who do not visit the ABQ forum.
I actually put it on the Albuquerque forum because in another discussion in the Albuquerque forum the idea of the this poll was thrown around. I wanted these people to see the poll, so that is why I put it here. However, you are indeed right, this is a state issue. However, I personally don't check the state forum so I figured others probably do the same. I can see absolutely why you want this thread moved, but I think it works just fine here. Perhaps someone could post a thread to take a look at this poll in the New Mexico forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:05 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I'm cool with it, abqsunport. Either place is fine with me. I check both forums. If other people don't check the ABQ forum, then they will miss out on the poll. Looks like the poll is getting a lot of votes right where it is!

I was only half serious anyway....I was trying to yank EnjoyEP's chain and give him a hard time on his first week on the new job.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
*Both are manufactured in Nova Scotia.

The old yellow one: designed in New Mexico by a New Mexican.
The balloon one: not.
That settles it for me - I'm staying with the old one. And I propose we bring that NM license plate factory home and plop it down right in the middle of Mesa Del Sol.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
But "protect the wildlife" plates, which are almost invariably found on land barges that get under 20mpg, really bother me.
And I thought that only happened in FL...."save the reef" tag on a Hummer.

I like the old yellow one, it's different. I couldn't tell what the balloon one was supposed to be when I noticed it in traffic. I still wouldn't know what it was supposed to be if you didn't have a closeup on the poll.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:34 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I prefer the old yellow plates,I think they represent NM better and the balloon only represents Albq. I think they should design a new one that features all sides of our state, maybe mountains,adobes,chiles,a grain elevator for all those in Eastern NM and a desert scene,and maybe even the Albq.skyline,somehow they could combine all into 1 good looking scene for a license plate.What would yall like to see on a new license plate?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I'm cool with it, abqsunport. Either place is fine with me. I check both forums. If other people don't check the ABQ forum, then they will miss out on the poll. Looks like the poll is getting a lot of votes right where it is!

I was only half serious anyway....I was trying to yank EnjoyEP's chain and give him a hard time on his first week on the new job.
There you go, Towanda, just stirring up trouble!!

Actually, I hear ya 'sunport on why you started it in ABQ, but I think Towanda does give a good idea in moving it to the more general NM forum so some friends from there can vote too.

However, tell you what, I will leave the re-direct up in the ABQ forum for a good 4 days or so, so people can "see it" in either forum. This way, we'll probably get max participation from both areas!!

(Now come on, how's that for some Solomon-esque wisdom ???? ).

Old 02-11-2008, 09:16 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
It's funny, after I cast my vote, the old yellow Zia is in front by 19-4, however, if you do a sample count of 100 plates on the road at any given time, I'd say the ratio of balloon to yellow is in the neighborhood of 7:3. As for Towanda's inquiry, you DO have a choice. My wife chose the balloon when we first moved here, and I chose the traditional.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
The Balloons represent more than just Abq, they also represent Raton too! I think you should have a choice. I have always liked the yellow Zia one because it looks cool IMHO. I really dont like the balloon one though, the design isnt great. What about motorcycle plates ? thats my primary transportation, they will be staying the same wont they ? I cant see them being able to stick a balloon on it.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Default license plate nomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
What would yall like to see on a new license plate?
How about "The Original Sunshine State", which was our state motto before Fla. "stole" it? Pic attached of a 1932 NM license plate...we could retain the the current color and the Zia symbol...

[Note: Actually I'm fine with Land of Enchantment, I'm just rabble-rousing]
Attached Thumbnails
New Mexico License Plates-nm1932.jpg  

Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 AM

203 posts, read 714,015 times
Old Yeller is my preference... hot air balloon looks too much like a photoshop training project... In San Miguel County, the ratio is probably four to one in favor of Yellow Zia, with lots of various veteran permutations thrown in, these also likely outnumber hot air in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico