Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:27 AM

645 posts, read 1,454,424 times

Advertisements

There's a 2/3 day training that I would like to do in NM, and wonder what is it like living there?

How is the weather? Food? People? Culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 06:05 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,292,356 times
The seafood sucks, I'd go so far as to say home of the worst seafood, but the enchiladas are the best around. Get an egg over easy on top.

The weather is different at different times of the year and depending where you are in the state.

In general I'm not all that cultured. I speak for myself there.

The people can be smart alecks but are very friendly and polite usually.

More specific questions and more info as to the where and when might elicit different answers.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:07 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,522,298 times
Get the chile rellenos with green chili. My favorite.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:55 AM

502 posts, read 1,383,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
The seafood sucks, I'd go so far as to say home of the worst seafood, but the enchiladas are the best around. Get an egg over easy on top.

The weather is different at different times of the year and depending where you are in the state.

In general I'm not all that cultured. I speak for myself there.

The people can be smart alecks but are very friendly and polite usually.

More specific questions and more info as to the where and when might elicit different answers.
Agree with this, with one correction.
The weather is different at different times of the day
On Monday, I was in one location all day. Went from partly cloudy, to rain to a snow storm all in 6 hours.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:07 AM

15 posts, read 29,122 times
I will be surprised if seafood in New Mexico is okay. Seriously far away fron oceans, in almost desert area? But at least tex-mex food is really good here.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:15 AM

4,804 posts, read 2,822,174 times
Default It is a puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaStein86 View Post
I will be surprised if seafood in New Mexico is okay. Seriously far away fron oceans, in almost desert area? But at least tex-mex food is really good here.
Yah, well, you'll probably get verbal bricks thrown @ you on that one. The NM Hispanic community is very clear that their roots go back to Spain proper - it's a big deal. & Tex-Mex food is generally considered to be any plate that includes frijol (beans), hamburger meat, lots of shredded cheese all over everything & mild salsa of some kind or other, maybe some sour cream.

There are more varied plates on offer too, of course. But how you refer to them seems to count for nearly as much as the actual food itself. Go figure.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,292,356 times
Yeah, there is no tex-mex in New Mexico. We have our own styles (differs from north to south) and they're very different from what you would find in San Antonio or anywhere outside of El Paso in Texas. Different from what they have in AZ and CA too.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
NM is a huge state with diverse environments and climates from deserts to mountains, different cultures, different foods. Where is your training going to be? It makes a world of difference whether it is in, say, Artesia, versus Santa Fe, Albuquerque, or Gallup.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:57 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,459,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah, well, you'll probably get verbal bricks thrown @ you on that one. The NM Hispanic community is very clear that their roots go back to Spain proper - it's a big deal. & Tex-Mex food is generally considered to be any plate that includes frijol (beans), hamburger meat, lots of shredded cheese all over everything & mild salsa of some kind or other, maybe some sour cream.

There are more varied plates on offer too, of course. But how you refer to them seems to count for nearly as much as the actual food itself. Go figure.
Yeah, New Mexican food and "Tex-mex" are pretty distinctive from each other. NM food focuses on pork, corn, and lots of stewed dishes and, of course, the central importance of either green chile sauce (made from ripe green chile pods and not much else) or red chile sauce (made from powdered dried chile pods and not much else). While shredded cheese has found its way into our cuisine from Texas over the last 50 years or so and you can find a lot of Tex-mex dishes like fajitas in New Mexican places now, at its heart New Mexican food is still quite different, particularly in its emphasis on (hot) chiles over salsa or "taco sauce."

Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 AM
CII

153 posts, read 226,456 times
"Sea" food isn't great but I have had some really good trout dishes in northern New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico